Schnarr - 786,667K
Teasdale - 763,333K
Montembeault - 750K
Dach

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs13

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Just a reminder that we have 5 guys who are only 25 or 26 but who will be Unrestricted Free Agents in July, unless re-signed before then:

Rem Pitlick 25
Michael McNiven 25
Sami Niku 25
Louis Belpedio 26
Lukas Vejdemo 26

Pitlick should probably be signed unless his demands are too great.

Niku is suspect defensively and I think Clague and Schueneman are ahead of him. I'm not sure I even want him in Laval as depth. Horribly unaware of danger and not strong defending.

Vejdemo is serviceable but in the NHL, he needs to play for an even weaker roster, if such exists. If he is willing to be a Ouellet-type vet in Laval, then he could be useful.

McNiven and Belpedio are not NHL material, I would consider giving them AHL deals at best. To me they are AHL/ECHL tweeners.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I guess we are under new management, but it would shock me to see McNiven choose to stay in the organization when given the choice. He probably started packing the moment Fucale started his career with a shutout for Washington.

Reactions: HabsQC and Gravity

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
McNiven probably leaves whether they want him back or not.
Niku, Belpedio and Vejdemo can stay for Laval if Houle wants them. Vejdemo/Niku can compete for a spare spot next year.
Try re-signing Rem Pitlick.

Maybe Pitlick gets dealt at the deadline?

Unless he wants out, no way we should deal Rem. He's the right age to fit in what Hughes is building. I think he fits decently in the philosophy as well.

Tyler can go.

Rem Pitlick will be a restricted free agent at the end of his deal.

Unless he plays 33 games in the next 30 games, he will be a group 6 UFA.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What is a Group 6 UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
McNiven probably leaves whether they want him back or not.
Niku, Belpedio and Vejdemo can stay for Laval if Houle wants them. Vejdemo/Niku can compete for a spare spot next year.
Try re-signing Rem Pitlick.

Unless he wants out, no way we should deal Rem. He's the right age to fit in what Hughes is building. I think he fits decently in the philosophy as well.

Tyler can go.

What is a Group 6 UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
Nobody wants Tyler. He literally came in as a cap dump like a week ago and hasn't played a game since.

Reactions: Habsrule

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Just a reminder that we have 5 guys who are only 25 or 26 but who will be Unrestricted Free Agents in July, unless re-signed before then:

Rem Pitlick 25
Michael McNiven 25
Sami Niku 25
Louis Belpedio 26
Lukas Vejdemo 26

Niku is suspect defensively and I think Clague and Schueneman are ahead of him. I'm not sure I even want him in Laval as depth. Horribly unaware of danger and not strong defending.

Vejdemo is serviceable but in the NHL, he needs to play for an even weaker roster, if such exists. If he is willing to be a Ouellet-type vet in Laval, then he could be useful.

McNiven and Belpedio are not NHL material, I would consider giving them AHL deals at best. To me they are AHL/ECHL tweeners.

Only Pitlick gets resigned. There will be a small house cleaning to bring in new guys.

Guys we are adding:

Xhekaj
Guhle
Mysak
Harris
Farrell (maybe)
Simoneau
Maybe one of our goalies (Vrbetic, Dobes, Dichow)
Any other players they want to add

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Michael McNiven 25
Turns 25 in July, not eligible for the Group VI UFA status before 2023.

Nevertheless, he's probably going to be a UFA anyway in 2022 because I don't think the Habs will submit him a qualifying offer.

What is a Group 6 UFA?

That 80 games threshold has been temporarily lowered due to the games missed because of the pandemic.

Capfriendly will unveil that number after the trade deadline. (Should be somewhere in the low 70's.)

Reactions: Treb

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Rem Pitlick 25
Michael McNiven 25
Sami Niku 25
Louis Belpedio 26
Lukas Vejdemo 26

Pitlick : Hopefully, he's re-signed to a cheap 2 or 3 years contract.

McNiven : As mentioned above, he's still technically a RFA but his time in the Habs organisation is probably over. Time to move on. Probably gets a AHL contract with another team or moves to Europe.

Niku : Although he's currently in Laval collecting his paycheck, judging by the way he left the Jets' organisation, he won't stay in the AHL for long. He'll probably finish the season in Laval but his hockey future seems to be in Europe.

Vejdemo : I agree with your assessment. While he'll probably never be a full time NHLer, Vejdemo is good AHL depth and a decent NHL callup. However, I believe that he'll take advantage of his UFA status to see if their is better opportunity out there with another NHL team. Last chance contract before eventually returning to Sweden in a year or two.

Belpedio : Currently 31st among AHL defencemen in scoring, he's much more than a ECHL tweener. I wouldn't mind if he returns to Laval next season with another NHL/AHL contract but the spots are limited due to the influx of young talent (Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Xhekaj) potentially coming in next season. Nevertheless, 2 or 3 spots will be available for players with more experience but the Habs will have some choices to make between him, Schueneman, Ouellet, Bisson-Paquette, Brook and Dello.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pitlick : Hopefully, he's re-signed to a cheap 2 or 3 years contract.

McNiven : As mentioned above, he's still technically a RFA but his time in the Habs organisation is probably over. Time to move on. Probably gets a AHL contract with another team or moves to Europe.

Niku : Although he's currently in Laval collecting his paycheck, judging by the way he left the Jets' organisation, he won't stay in the AHL for long. He'll probably finish the season in Laval but his hockey future seems to be in Europe.

Vejdemo
: I agree with your assessment. While he'll probably never be a full time NHLer, Vejdemo is good AHL depth and a decent NHL callup. However, I believe that he'll take advantage of his UFA status to see if their is better opportunity out there with another NHL team. Last chance contract before eventually returning to Sweden in a year or two.

Belpedio : Currently 31st among AHL defencemen in scoring, he's much more than a ECHL tweener. I wouldn't mind if he returns to Laval next season on another NHL/AHL but the spots are limited due to the influx of young talent (Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Xhekaj) potentially coming in next season. Nevertheless, 2 or 3 spots will be available for players with more experience but the Habs will have some choices to make between him, Schueneman, Ouellet, Bisson-Paquette, Brook and Dello.
Too many younger guys ahead of Delpedio

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
A few players I can see the Habs target are Letang, no. 1 target given his relationship to Habs and Hughes. The other 2 I can see Hughes going after are Hertl or Kadri. Hertl would be the best fit and play a fast two way game. Kadri is a lifelong Hab fan and would be a great fit on this team. Both would give Suzuki a ton of relief and give us 2 if not 3 scoring lines. Given the cap space we'll save from trading Petry, Chiarot, Leh etc., LRIRing Weber, we’ll see with Price and bringing up kids, I think it's possible to bring them both in.

Depending on who we draft, Drouin, Dvorak and Hoffman can become expendable too which opens up even more space and can be replaced by a kid like Slavfkovsky, Wright etc. in a more insulated role to bring them up while still being able to give them quality ice time.

Anderson Suzuki Caufield
Drouin/Slvfkovsky Hertl/Kadri Hoffman
Pitlick Dvorak/Wright Gally
Armia Poehling Evans

Edmundson Letang
Romanov Savard
Harris Wideman/Norlinder etc

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Only Pitlick gets resigned. There will be a small house cleaning to bring in new guys.

Guys we are adding:

Xhekaj
Guhle
Mysak
Harris
Farrell (maybe)
Simoneau
Maybe one of our goalies (Vrbetic, Dobes, Dichow)
Any other players they want to add

Maybe even Struble and Kostenko. Won't be easy juggling with the 50 contracts limit.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Not a debate on whether to sign or not sign but rather I'm curious what the re-signing costs would be for each of our RFA's and UFA's:

RFA
  • Lehkonen, $2.3M --> Guessing 3M
  • R. Pitlick, 917K --> Guessing 1.5M
  • Pezzetta, 750K --> Guessing 1.2M
  • Romanov, 894K --> Guessing 1.8M
  • Clague, 761K --> Guessing 1.2M
  • Schuneman, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Montembeault, 750K --> Guessing 1.2M
  • Teasdale, 763K --> Assuming no increase
  • Vejdemo, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Brook, 795K --> Assuming no increase
  • Belpedio, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Niku, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Primeau, 880K --> Assuming small increase
  • McNiven, 750K --> Assuming no increase
UFA
  • Paquette, 950K --> Assuming no increase
  • Perreault, 950K --> Assuming no increase
  • Dauphin, 750K --> Assuming small increase
  • Chiarot, 3.5M --> Guessing 4.2M
  • Kulak, 1.8M --> Assuming no increase
  • Wideman, 750K --> Assuming small increase
  • Hammond, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • T Pitlick, 1.7M --> Assuming no increase
  • Dea, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Belizile, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Ouellet, 736K --> Assuming no increase
Didn't realize we had so many guys needing new contracts. That's a lot of analysis and work for new management in the coming months. I believe we also have 4 prospects that need to be signed or we risk losing their rights

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I really hope Montembeault gets a good contract somewhere (probably not here). He played great (at times) in such a difficult situation this year, would be nice to see him get rewarded. Probably in the ~1-1.5M$ range, but hopefully he can land a contract for ~2-3 years somewhere, give him some stability.

Chiarot - it depends entirely on TDL and how he does in playoffs. If he does really good - I could see him get up to ~5M$ AAV as a UFA for 3-4 years. If really bad, could be closer to ~3.5M$.

Not really sure about all the others. I never liked Lekhonen, 3M$ seems like a lot for him, but I know many like him

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Not a debate on whether to sign or not sign but rather I'm curious what the re-signing costs would be for each of our RFA's and UFA's:

RFA
  • Lehkonen, $2.3M --> Guessing 3M
  • R. Pitlick, 917K --> Guessing 1.5M
  • Romanov, 894K --> Guessing 1.8M
  • Belpedio, 750K --> Assuming no increase
UFA
  • Paquette, 950K --> Assuming no increase
  • Perreault, 950K --> Assuming no increase
  • Chiarot, 3.5M --> Guessing 4.2M
  • Wideman, 750K --> Assuming small increase
  • T Pitlick, 1.7M --> Assuming no increase
  • Dea, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Belizile, 750K --> Assuming no increase
  • Ouellet, 736K --> Assuming no increase
Didn't realize we had so many guys needing new contracts. That's a lot of analysis and work for new management in the coming months. I believe we also have 4 prospects that need to be signed or we risk losing their rights

RFA
  • Lehkonen, $2.3M --> if 1 yr then about 3M if longer term then 4 years at about 3.5M Lars Eller type contract
  • R. Pitlick, 917K --> 2 yrs 1.15M AAV
  • Pezzetta, 750K -->1M or under just off entry level no bargaining power does have arbitration rights
  • Romanov, 894K --> maybe 2>0M AAV on 2 yrs
  • Clague, 761K --> 1M or under just off entry level no bargaining power does have arbitration rights
  • Schuneman, 750K --> 1M or under just off entry level no bargaining power does have arbitration rights
  • Montembeault, 750K --> $1.1M same minor salary to hopefully be able to squeeze him through waivers if needed
  • Belpedio, 750K --> Assuming will become victim of 50 contract rule Habs need slots for prospects
UFA
  • Paquette, 950K --> Probably out of the league
  • Perreault, 950K --> Assuming NHL minimum somewhere
  • Chiarot, 3.5M --> Guessing 4.2M amount will depend on term
  • Wideman, 750K --> Assuming small increase elsewhere
  • T Pitlick, 1.7M --> gone as UFA someone will give him a 1 yr contract less $$
  • Dea, 750K --> Assuming will become victim of 50 contract rule Habs need slots for prospects
  • Belizile, 750K --> Assuming will become victim of 50 contract rule Habs need slots for prospects
  • Ouellet, 736K --> Assuming will become victim of 50 contract rule Habs need slots for prospects

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
RFA
UFA
I can't really see any of these guys getting much of a raise, however, I would guess that their next contracts would be one-way, ensuring the same salary even if they get demoted. For guys at their level, That would be a pretty big security blanket.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The Montreal Canadiens currently have five expiring UFA contracts and five expiring RFA contacts. There are another six UFA and seven RFA players on the Laval Rocket. Who do the Habs offer contracts to?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Lagesson , Wideman , Dauphin , T Pitlick , Perreault , Clague , Paquette , Belzile , Dea , Niku , Vedjemo , Schnarr . | Goodbye

Montombeau , Romanov , Pezetta , R pitlick , Ouellet (AHL) , Primeau , Brook , Harvey Pinard , Teasdale , Belpedio , Schue | All sign

Reactions: dcyhabs

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Out : lagesson/ T pitlick / perreault / belzile / paquette / ouellet / niku / dea.

Lageson is slow, pittlick cost too much and will want to play in the nhl, rhe rest are ahlers

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Out : lagesson/ T pitlick / perreault / belzile / paquette / ouellet / niku / dea.

Lageson is slow, pittlick cost too much and will want to play in the nhl, rhe rest are ahlers

AHLers could be signed to AHL deals

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
For UFA, I'd say Wideman and Dauphin. Dauphin isn't bad for AHL depth, assuming Wideman signs cheap he could be fine as 7th D or a stop-gap if one of the young guys isn't ready.

Romanov - Petry or Replacement
Edmundson - Barron/Norlinder
Harris - Savard
Wideman

I don't mind Tyler Pitlick as a 12th - 14th forward, however I'd prefer a guy like Deslauriers as we could use some size and it doesn't hurt to have a guy to protect our younger players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad