Value of: Habs 2019 1st rd pick

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Untradeable.

Its not like another gm is gonna come in and say "hey i wanna gamble on a pick and overpay without knowing what ill get!"
Maybe if habs were trading for someone big it can be part of a package but it would be an addon for the habs and not something the other team seeks out

Finally - Carey Price likely scares most teams from overpaying for that pick. Maybe towards year end or even mid year if they are having a bad year but not yet

Surefire lottery picks aren't traded before the lottery.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Habs are gonna blow the big one this year. You guys have fun in LA BELLE PROVINCE DE QUEBEC.

Value of the pick is very high.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The only way that this pick gets traded is if it's in a package for a young superstar with term who has become disgruntled and demands a trade.

McDavid, Eichel, Matthews

There is literally no other scenario where I could see them trading this pick

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Trade threads are largely pointless. Fans are often deluded to a players value and offer scraps.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Summer thread. Just stop already. No one is gonna offer a fortune for an unknown pick and no potential bottom 5 lottery team will trade their pick. Ottawa just showed how bad this could turn out and they were suppose to be a playoffs team at that time. End of the story, close thread. Only bad will come out of this and hfboard is salty enough at this time.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Untradeable.

Its not like another gm is gonna come in and say "hey i wanna gamble on a pick and overpay without knowing what ill get!"
Maybe if habs were trading for someone big it can be part of a package but it would be an addon for the habs and not something the other team seeks out

Finally - Carey Price likely scares most teams from overpaying for that pick. Maybe towards year end or even mid year if they are having a bad year but not yet

No one is scared by Carey Price. They're scared of his contract. There's a giant difference.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Summer thread. Just stop already. No one is gonna offer a fortune for an unknown pick and no potential bottom 5 lottery team will trade their pick. Ottawa just showed how bad this could turn out and they were suppose to be a playoffs team at that time. End of the story, close thread. Only bad will come out of this and hfboard is salty enough at this time.

The other thread you believed that Drouin + Juulsen + Conditional 2nd (if 1st pick) is too much? Why is this any different when I proposed a similar deal:

A reversed offer with the AVs, the deal would look something like this:

Jost
Greer
Meloche
AVs 2019-2nd

for

Habs 2019 - 1st

Accept Habs suck this season and can ill afford to make any prospect trades and most certainly, moving their 1st round pick. If there are any deals they can offer, it should involve their 2nd round selection which is likely close to a low 1st round pick.

Habs and AVs (Sens 1st) will both keep their 1st round selections.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Surefire lottery picks aren't traded before the lottery.

That's the whole point - it's not a surefire lottery pick.

Both Colorado and Vegas were expected to do way worst going into last season than the habs (or any team this season really) is expected to be this year. And look how that turned out?

Imagine a team had overpaid Vegas or Colorado for their first round pick before the start of last year to try and land dahlin - and ended up picking so low instead. Career suicide for the GM. Teams just dont take risks like that.

If a team wants to get increased odds at Hughes they'll pay maybe towards mid-year at earliest, when you can tell which teams are looking bad. At this point it's just too much of a gamble.

No one is scared by Carey Price. They're scared of his contract. There's a giant difference.

Carey Price has spearheaded crappy Canadien teams into playoffs and into good regular seasons before. They're scared of overpaying for the Habs #1 round pick banking on it being a lottery pick, because if Carey Price has a very strong year he can very easily raise the Habs (regardless of if they even make the playoffs, but if they pick 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th it's nowhere near the same as picking top 3). So no i don't see any GM overpaying for the Habs #1 pick.

The only way a 1st round pick from a team like the Habs get traded is if it's part of a larger deal, and is just a piece. example:

Karlsson to Montreal for Pacioretty, Drouin + 1st round pick + whatever else.

And before I get flamed i'm not saying that's a trade that should be done - i'm just giving an example of how the 1st round pick would only be part of a larger deal if dealt, but never the main piece, because its value is so uncertain.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Ya NO. Lets try to keep it real.
I don't know what you expect here. Do you want Matthews or something? Kadri is a locked in 2C on a great contract. If the Habs are the worst team in the league, the chance that it turns into the first overall pick is 20 percent. It's a huge lottery ticket but it's a lottery ticket. So the match is a sure thing solid player.

Anyway, here's what I see the value as, even if it never happens: 2/3 D, really solid 2C with term, OR a disgruntled top player who wants out. At that point, you probably have to offer more than just that pick, bc that's how it generally works out.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Carey Price has spearheaded crappy Canadien teams into playoffs and into good regular seasons before. They're scared of overpaying for the Habs #1 round pick banking on it being a lottery pick, because if Carey Price has a very strong year he can very easily raise the Habs (regardless of if they even make the playoffs, but if they pick 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th it's nowhere near the same as picking top 3). So no i don't see any GM overpaying for the Habs #1 pick./QUOTE]

Carey Price has also spear-headed the IR list in recent times. He's almost as much of a gamble as the Habs pick at this point. I think he's still capable of being a top 5 Goalie in the league, but hes going to need to prove it before anyone would come anywhere close to offering top 5 goalie value for him. That's all im saying.

That being said, no i dont think anyone offers enough value for the habs to move their pick - it'd be a foolish move to trade that pick now, as i stated in a previous post.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Carey Price has also spear-headed the IR list in recent times. He's almost as much of a gamble as the Habs pick at this point. I think he's still capable of being a top 5 Goalie in the league, but hes going to need to prove it before anyone would come anywhere close to offering top 5 goalie value for him. That's all im saying.

That being said, no i dont think anyone offers enough value for the habs to move their pick - it'd be a foolish move to trade that pick now, as i stated in a previous post.

Carey Price's actual trade value, or value as an asset has nothing to do with this topic though.

For any team to overpay for a 1st round pick thinking it'll be a lottery pick before a season starts is a risk. What i'm saying is - Carey Price if he has a good year makes the Habs a playoff team.
Can Vancouver make the playoffs? Can Detroit? I mean anyone *can* but I think with Montreal it'd be a particular gamble because people around the league respect Price highly and know what a difference maker he can be when he's on his game, so to overpay for the Habs 1st pick before the season starts is a big gamble.

As to Price's actual trade value - I agree it's harder. On the one hand his reputation around the league is still sky high. Last year the players overwhelmingly voted him as best goalie in the league (like 40%+ and 2nd place had below 10%). He'd also still be Canada's #1 goalie in any tournament starting today i'm sure. Flip side is he's had a bad string of injuries recently, and mostly he had a horrible season last year, and so his contract is very scary. i dont think his value is anywhere near as low as people on HF seem to think - but with all the uncertainty around him he obviously wouldn't fetch a huge price today either.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I don't know what you expect here. Do you want Matthews or something? Kadri is a locked in 2C on a great contract. If the Habs are the worst team in the league, the chance that it turns into the first overall pick is 20 percent. It's a huge lottery ticket but it's a lottery ticket. So the match is a sure thing solid player.

Anyway, here's what I see the value as, even if it never happens: 2/3 D, really solid 2C with term, OR a disgruntled top player who wants out. At that point, you probably have to offer more than just that pick, bc that's how it generally works out.

Why am I not surprised to see someone defending trading a lottery pick for f***ing Kadri.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's the whole point - it's not a surefire lottery pick.

Both Colorado and Vegas were expected to do way worst going into last season than the habs (or any team this season really) is expected to be this year. And look how that turned out?

Imagine a team had overpaid Vegas or Colorado for their first round pick before the start of last year to try and land dahlin - and ended up picking so low instead. Career suicide for the GM. Teams just dont take risks like that.

If a team wants to get increased odds at Hughes they'll pay maybe towards mid-year at earliest, when you can tell which teams are looking bad. At this point it's just too much of a gamble.

You're right, it's not a surefire lottery pick at this point, which makes it a gamble. It is considered as a likely one but anything can happen. But what I'm trying to tell you, when you say teams might want to trade for the pick halfway through the season if the Habs are doing poorly, is that at that point it is a surefire lottery pick - and in that case the Habs aren't trading the pick. Nobody does if they are surely out of playoff contention.

In the offseason it's fun to speculate what a team could fetch for their first round pick next year but in reality there are two cases when a team that finished near the bottom last year could trade that pick:
1. Near the TDL if they're doing surprisingly well and want to make a playoff run.
2. After the lottery/in the draft when it's known what that pick is.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Why am I not surprised to see someone defending trading a lottery pick for ****ing Kadri.
You're misreading what I said. I think it's a stupid idea but if you ask "I have this lottery pick and you guys should tell me what it's worth" that's the answer, which is why these trades don't happen. I don't think they should trade the pick for Kadri, I don't think the Habs should trade the pick for ANYTHING right now, because what they need is to be drafting high end talent, but he wanted an answer and that's it. That's the point of these threads, nothing is going to happen but people want answers to weird hypotheticals that don't end up happening here.

Any other comments?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Better hold onto that thing. With Shea Weber not in action until maybe the New Year, with still no centre depth to speak of and limited players down the board; that will likely be a lotto pick.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The other thread you believed that Drouin + Juulsen + Conditional 2nd (if 1st pick) is too much? Why is this any different when I proposed a similar deal:

A reversed offer with the AVs, the deal would look something like this:

Jost
Greer
Meloche
AVs 2019-2nd

for

Habs 2019 - 1st

Accept Habs suck this season and can ill afford to make any prospect trades and most certainly, moving their 1st round pick. If there are any deals they can offer, it should involve their 2nd round selection which is likely close to a low 1st round pick.

Habs and AVs (Sens 1st) will both keep their 1st round selections.
I said it’s a dumb trade. Your offer here is as dumb as the other offer in the drouins package, no one trades big package for unknown draft picks it’s stupid from both side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad