Gwyddbwyll's Ultimate Draft Ranking - all 30 teams

HABSMANIA21*

not that i dont disagree with you but most peple dont have the blackhwaks 2nd last.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
The Coyotes may not have many of their own players on the roster, but there are plenty of Coyotes draftees sprinkled about the league. I'm guessing we're somewhere around 15 or 16.

Surely you don't mean the Coyotes. I think through 2001, there are 2 NHL'ers (Sjostrom & Briere), and 3 UFA's still looking for work (Esche, Vaanaanen, & Letowski). It's pathetic that there are more current NHL'ers from the Jets than there are from the Coyotes. I wish we could line Bobby Smith up and whack him upside the head with a shovel.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
This sounds like a cool project, but you should run the some T-tests and see if the data is significantly different when compared the % of players drafted that played 200, 300 games, etc.

Id love to see your spreadsheets on this.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Interesting...but according to your criterion (100 games) if a team picks, say, 3rd overall and the guy ends up playing just over 100 games, that scouting staff will get the same credit as one who unearths a player in the 6th round who ends up playing 1000 games.

In such a case, surely the club picking 3rd overall has failed and the club with the astute 6th round pick succeeded- but your criterion will have them ranked as equal.

You should try gradiating draft position and using a more complex criterion of success into your analysis.

Last edited:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Keep in mind, this list doesn't take QUALITY of player into account. Any player with 100 games gets on the list. Wayne Primeau = Nicklas Lidstrom = Peter Forsberg = Stephane Yelle.

Bingo. Does anyone seriously think the Red Wings sit there and moan "Gosh, if we could only draft as well as the Canucks...". :help:

Anyone who says:

"The Canucks draft better than the Red Wings because they drafted *two* NHL'ers in Alex Stojanov and Rob Murphy (100%!), whereas the Red Wings only drafted Nik Lidstrom and complete bust Kory Kocur (measly 50%)"

*seriously* needs to evaluate their statistical hypotheses.

Hint: If Alex Stojanov and Rob Murphy are draft successes, *change* your standards.

AKA "We've upped our standards, now up yours." ;)

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Is this thread messed up for anyone else?

It says theres a 4th page but it wont let me go to it, it just keeps taking me back to the 3rd. It's been doing it for a few hours now on 2 different computers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
While I like having Minnesota in the top 10, it is a bit skewed because of the early expansion of the team and the drafting of overagers, who the Wild were looking for as possible players but were never factored in long term.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
When talking about scouting, signings of undrafted junior free agents, NCAA players etc. is a factor too. Teams whose scouts uncovered overage or otherwise undrafted players who made it to the show should get due recognition in any ranking.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
That's what I'm asking --- what NHLers from Minny's two drafts are currently playing? Gaborik and ... ?

The CBJ have Klesla, Johnson, and Leclaire (off the top of my head) logging major TOI, from those two classes.

Marian Gaborik
(franchise player), Nick Schultz (2-3 d-man), Pierre Marc-Bouchard (2nd liner), Mikko Koivu (two-way 2nd liner), Brent Burns (improving d-man, still developing but flashes are a good d-man to come) , Patrick O'Sullivan (now with the Kings, awesome young player) Josh Harding (great albeit short appearance in the NHL) Stephane Veillex (3rd-4th liner, average player), Derek Boogaard (our lovable teddy bear),

I say thats a pretty good job in their few years in the NHL, wouldn't you say?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Marian Gaborik
(franchise player), Nick Schultz (2-3 d-man), Pierre Marc-Bouchard (2nd liner), Mikko Koivu (two-way 2nd liner), Brent Burns (improving d-man, still developing but flashes are a good d-man to come) , Patrick O'Sullivan (now with the Kings, awesome young player) Josh Harding (great albeit short appearance in the NHL) Stephane Veillex (3rd-4th liner, average player), Derek Boogaard (our lovable teddy bear),

I say thats a pretty good job in their few years in the NHL, wouldn't you say?

Most of those though are first or second rounders with only two being below the 3rd round. Not that great...

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Most of those though are first or second rounders with only two being below the 3rd round. Not that great...

I think, personally, if you do great in the 1st and 2nd round, its a good draft. But its always nice to get the cool 7th rounder gem but that is when EXCEPTIONAL drafting comes in but I think the Wild has done a good job.

I mean, we can't ALL be like the Wings with Datsyuk and Zetterberg can we?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think, personally, if you do great in the 1st and 2nd round, its a good draft. But its always nice to get the cool 7th rounder gem but that is when EXCEPTIONAL drafting comes in but I think the Wild has done a good job.

I mean, we can't ALL be like the Wings with Datsyuk and Zetterberg can we?

No but we really haven't even tried to develop anyone past the third round. Stoner I believe is one. Madsen, Olvecky are two others. Kopriva. But most of them don't have much of an upside. Madsen maybe. But Olvecky looks stuck and Stoner...hopefully he'll have a good year. And we still don't know the direction Pouliot and Voloshenko are going.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
An impressive piece of work. However, I can't help but think that the Habs definitely got lucky to get within the top 10. I'd most certainly like to see results if you increase your games played sample size to 250 which would probably see a lot of coffeecup players get excluded (David Wilkie anyone?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad