Tribute Guy Lafleur National Funeral - May 3rd (Funeral Procession begins @ 10:30am, Celebrations @ 11:00am)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The fact that we grew up together, it really hits home. All the exploits, anecdotes and commemorations, I lived them too. He's a big part of my generation and his passing leaves a void that will never be filled.

C'est la vie mon ami.

I'll just blast some Miley through my magic headphones and all will be OK. :nod:
Thanks for sharing what he meant to you. I only watched from afar, never saw him play in person. But, he stood out in so many ways.

He created his own stratosphere of cool. He was markedly different from his contemporaries, he had so much style. And then you find out that he was so kind to everyone he encountered, it hits you in the gut even more.

I saw an item yesterday where someone said his brother decided one day to ride his motorcycle to Thurso with the idea of finding Guy and getting an autograph. He arrived in Thurso with a couple of friends and they ended up finding Lafleur. But Guy did more than grant an autograph -- he invited these complete strangers to a restaurant and paid for their meals. It turns out that a short time later, the brother of this man telling the story and who had met Guy, passed away. But, he couldn't help fondly remembering what Guy had done for his brother.

I only met Guy once. He was an invited guest in the office I was working at, at the time. I went out of my office and greeted him. I didn't ask for anything, I only remember an upbeat greeting from him, a big smile followed by a chuckle. And a handshake. His hands were huge and powerful -- the only other time I remembered someone with as big hands and as strong a grip was when I shook hands with Jacques Plante one time, at a Sports Celebrity Dinner. When they talk of Lafleur's physical strength, I got to understand more clearly as you couldn't tell from his wiry frame.

The man was gifted but his whole life was a gift, whether it was for the betterment of others or simply to bring happiness to someone even for a moment.

RIP, Guy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heart wrenching scenes as My Way is playing and crowd shown outside and the family stepping out of the church.

And now, all of those gathered outside the church are applauding and cheering.

Every part of this funeral service, unfolded with a lot of class and dignity.

Here's to a life well-lived. 🙏

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just an awesome ceremony. Incredible signing from some of my friends that are in the Quartom quartet. The Patenaude family really present in this ceremony and it was perfect signing. The Patrick Roy eulogy was just incredible. Ginette Reno who clearly cannot sustain the note as she used to but was very good. The overall ceremony was just great. And touching. Obviously.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jesus christ Yan Cournoyer saying he's feeling alone today just got me
Pierre Houde breaking down earlier, also got me. His co-hosts, Ray Lalonde and François Lalonde, sitting right next to him, were without words, visibly moved and fighting their own emotions. It was quite the moment.

What also moved me was what Pierre Houde said about heritage. How, Béliveau's traits could be found in Lafleur in how he interacted and cared for others.

And, Houde was saying, what Lafleur did, will inspire someone to follow suit. That is such a beautiful and inspiring thought.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For fun put it on the Hab Flyer game. Looked it up. Guy scores the cup winner and assists on the tying goal plus the insurance. 3 point night to win the cup.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
That final walk to the hearse was hard to watch... the moment, the family, the alumni, My Way... So many things running through my head: my parents nearing 80, all those saturday nights spent as a family watching those young players in the 70s, me playing, my dad coaching. Damn, life... why so short?
Post automatically merged:

Heart wrenching scenes as My Way is playing and crowd shown outside and the family stepping out of the church.

And now, all of those gathered outside the church are applauding and cheering.

Every part of this funeral service, unfolded with a lot of class and dignity.

Here's to a life well-lived. 🙏
From the first second to the last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad