Confirmed with Link: Guy Boucher 2: The Guy-quel

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder why the wait for a 2nd asst coach? Are they looking for someone from a team still in the playoffs? Any rumours on that front?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I wonder why the wait for a 2nd asst coach? Are they looking for someone from a team still in the playoffs? Any rumours on that front?

I heard they're looking at Joel Quenville out of Chicago.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
6thsens had a couple tidbits about Boucher as a coach in his latest blog; one older quote from Cory Conacher,

Cory Conacher said:
“He’s probably one of the least defensive coaches I’ve ever played for,†Conacher said in a phone interview with Postmedia.

“Sure, you won’t play if you’re not good in the defensive zone, but he thinks dumping the puck in (the opposition end) is just giving the puck away. He will give guys the opportunity to create and take chances offensively. He gets respect from players for that. He saw a lot in me. He gave me a chance to play.â€

and another from a French RDS commentator:

The6thsens said:
Over at RDS, Alexandre Pouliot-Roberge spoke with a few European journalists who covered the Swiss League and they marvelled at the structure and tactics employed by Boucher.

Despite being fired by Bern SC midway through the season when it looked like his team was destined to miss the postseason, Bern player Simon Moser credited Boucher’s system for helping the team clinch its championship.

“Après son départ, nous avons continué à suivre la structure qu’il a implantée et nous avons remporté le championnat grâce à lui.â€

Translated, it essentially means that after Boucher was fired, Bern continued to use the structure that he imposed (throughout the season) and it helped them win the championship.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
6thsens had a couple tidbits about Boucher as a coach in his latest blog; one older quote from Cory Conacher,

and another from a French RDS commentator:

This is the stuff that gets me really excited. Especially the comments from his former player about them using the same system and structure that Guy taught them to win the championship.

Being fired and the team going on to win the championship was one of the biggest reasons people were saying that this is bad hire, so it's nice to get some clarity on that whole situation.

This guy sounds like a hockey mastermind. The problem with brilliant people though is that sometimes they can't effectively communicate or connect with the people that their trying to teach.

That's why I can't stress enough how incredibly important and awesome it is that Marc Crawford is helping in the associate role to help with the teaching, and to keep everyone on the same page.

I think we're going to see some amazing results.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
McGuire did Say he felt that just through coaching that should add around 5 more wins.

It's hard not to get super excited about this. I'm a big believer that the second time around, no matter where, is much easier for anyone competent enough to derive lessons from the first go around.

The only thing that needs to happen is retaining Hoffman and we are very much set.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
McGuire did Say he felt that just through coaching that should add around 5 more wins.

It's hard not to get super excited about this. I'm a big believer that the second time around, no matter where, is much easier for anyone competent enough to derive lessons from the first go around.

The only thing that needs to happen is retaining Hoffman and we are very much set.

We need a nother RW to replace Chia please

Anybody

Just please Pierre

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We need a nother RW to replace Chia please

Anybody

Just please Pierre

Honestly, one of the lowest priority issues imo.

Far more concerning than the ~10-12 mins a night Chiasson is likely to get if our roster is healthy, is the danger that MacArthur is not a viable top 6 option anymore, be it due to concussion related regression, or due to outright retirement.

I guess we have Smith that can fill that hole, but that's a much bigger problem imo.

After that, I'm more concerned about who fills in the bottom pair LD position. I'd prefer it not to be Boro, though I'm willing to give him a fresh start under a new coach.

The only concern I have relating to Chiasson is that he not be on the PK. But even then, I think with some decent coaching, he could potentially be adequate in that role (I hated him under Cameron on the PK).

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I like the fact that he evaluates how to best utilize the players that he has rather than try to fit square pegs into round holes. It's not about making a hockey player a perfect carbon copy of a prototypical player. It's about using the strengths that each player brings and building a system around that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Far more concerning than the ~10-12 mins a night Chiasson is likely to get if our roster is healthy, is the danger that MacArthur is not a viable top 6 option anymore, be it due to concussion related regression, or due to outright retirement.

I guess we have Smith that can fill that hole, but that's a much bigger problem imo.

After that, I'm more concerned about who fills in the bottom pair LD position. I'd prefer it not to be Boro, though I'm willing to give him a fresh start under a new coach.

The only concern I have relating to Chiasson is that he not be on the PK. But even then, I think with some decent coaching, he could potentially be adequate in that role (I hated him under Cameron on the PK).

MacArthur will definitly not be retiring with time remaining on his contract. If he cannot play he will likely go on LTIR.

The Senators need a scoring, puck controlling top level Center to become a playoff team and pretender, if not contender to win a few playoff series.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like the fact that he evaluates how to best utilize the players that he has rather than try to fit square pegs into round holes. It's not about making a hockey player a perfect carbon copy of a prototypical player. It's about using the strengths that each player brings and building a system around that.

We sing from the same song book! :)

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
MacArthur will definitly not be retiring with time remaining on his contract. If he cannot play he will likely go on LTIR.

The Senators need a scoring, puck controlling top level Center to become a playoff team and pretender, if not contender to win a few playoff series.

He won't go on LTIR, we are nowhere near the cap.

He will just ride out the rest of his contract on IR, like Phillips and Pronger did this year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He won't go on LTIR, we are nowhere near the cap.

He will just ride out the rest of his contract on IR, like Phillips and Pronger did this year.

Is his contract insured? I do believe that makes a big difference. If we could get insurance to pay the remainder of the deal (if he's insured), that's a huge boost for the team. If the team is on the hook for that money, the replacement will likely have a much smaller contract.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Can't say I agree.

If you have confidence in our top-4, and I think Boucher really does the way he was speaking, that won't leave very many mins for our bottom pair.

Whereas as top 9 RW is more important IMO. If you can constantly roll 3 lines that can score and that can have a positive impact, that's major nowadays.

Meh, I don't think the NHL is built that way anymore. Look at the Blues and Lightning. They might be losers of their series, but they got far without an elite #1.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If you have confidence in our top-4, and I think Boucher really does the way he was speaking, that won't leave very many mins for our bottom pair.
there's still lots of D minutes to go around, and other teams will try to take advantage of bottom pairings

although i'm confident neither in Boro or Wideman, but they both don't really have much NHL experience so there's potential to get better

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Hoffman said Boucher “wants the best out of his players†— but really, what coach doesn’t? — then added, “and the biggest thing is, he respects his players.â€

Zingggg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad