Gustav Nyquist

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
nyquist has 11 goals and red wings have 24 goals total when he's on the ice. so 13 goals, in 233 shots. sh% of 5.6. definitely low and should come up as his individual goal totals come down.

data from war-on-ice.

Yep. Zetterberg on pace for 16 goals, Nyquist on pace for 39. I expect the disparity between the two numbers to shrink as the season moves along, but with Nyquist still ending up with more goals.

But I totally expected Datsyuk to keep up his 58 goal pace :sarcasm:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Personally I don't think we need to worry too much about Nyquist's point totals.

I think what is clear is that he has definitely earned his spot in the top 6 for this team.

I agree with be paired with Z, and being TAUGHT to shoot more, are the reasons he has become more of a goal scorer than a passer. Coaching and Teaching have shown that that is what we need Nyquist to do. And he is very effective doing it. If he becomes a shooter as opposed to a passer going forward... Great ! (We know he retains the passing ability in his back pocket incase we need to change his style again)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny how Filppula never was able to do that change (to shoot more). Now they are starting to get pissed even at Tampa when he always passes the puck, when there's good chance to shoot.

Nyquist was kind of profiled the same, but he made that change and is now flourishing under Babcock.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He keeps scoring, but he has a lot more in him when it comes to how he's actually playing.
Yup. He still looks very weak out there, physically. If he can ever get to maybe a Zetterberg or Datsyuk level of strength, he'll start to pick up more assists. I think that's the one thing he's lacking right now: he can't slow it down and look for a passing line with a guy on his back like NHL playmakers need to, and you see that a bit in his stats. He has to zip around at tip top speed in order to make his plays right now, and it's mostly translating into goals.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Nyquist's strength, and ability to play with an opponent on his back, have come a long way. He's still not on the level of Zettereberg or Datsyuk (and may never be), and he still gets outmusceled from time to time, but he's closer to their level now than he is to his own level 2-3 years ago. You can see it not only in his play against opponents who try to beat him with brute strength (and only sometimes succeed), but also in the confidence in his game that comes from the times he beats those types of opponents. He puts himself in situations where he has to beat those kinds of guys, in the corners, behind the net, along the half wall.... and he usually does.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
What I find weird about Nyquist (maybe its just me) is that for how fast he is he has a very short choppy stride. Theres no doubt he's fast but I would just think his stride would restrict him. I know I'm wrong because the guy gets those feet moving and flys but man does he have a short stride to me.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
What I find weird about Nyquist (maybe its just me) is that for how fast he is he has a very short choppy stride. Theres no doubt he's fast but I would just think his stride would restrict him. I know I'm wrong because the guy gets those feet moving and flys but man does he have a short stride to me.

Perhaps acceleration is more important for him than top-speed?

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Perhaps acceleration is more important for him than top-speed?

I get your point but your acceleration should only be from your first 3 strides. I'm not trying to take anything away from his skating, just seems unique to me.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yup. He still looks very weak out there, physically. If he can ever get to maybe a Zetterberg or Datsyuk level of strength, he'll start to pick up more assists. I think that's the one thing he's lacking right now: he can't slow it down and look for a passing line with a guy on his back like NHL playmakers need to, and you see that a bit in his stats. He has to zip around at tip top speed in order to make his plays right now, and it's mostly translating into goals.

It's not as if he isn't dishing some beauties so far. They just don't go in yet. Sure, there's still much room to improve when it comes to being on a level of Dats and Z.
Still, he's doing good so far and would have deserved more assists than he actually did. But sooner or later he should get them.

Last edited:

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Wings fans are wondering if he's peaked at 25? Datsuk and Zetty are perfect examples of guys that were late bloomers.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Wings fans are wondering if he's peaked at 25? Datsuk and Zetty are perfect examples of guys that were late bloomers.

Nah, he is just in a bit of a slump. It is going to happen for a guy who shot as ridiculously high % as he did last year. With the secondary scoring really coming alive the last weeks, the top line has been getting less opportunity and has been forced on the ice less. He will recover in short order and in a year or two when he has become a reliable scorer there is no reason to believe he won't be a consistent 30+ goal scorer.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

He has very quick strides, I don't know if they're short. He definitely has a unique style.

Like you said though, he's plenty fast enough. If he can be made faster that's great but no complaints here on his speed or odd style

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Should Nyquist and Tatar switch the positions for some shifts/games?

To spark one guy you risk disrupting the other and potentially getting 2 guys off their game. Nyquist and Z have been magic together before. They just need to work through it. Jurco or Abby there will help. Thought Jurco looked real good again last game and set up some beauties that just didn't go in. It happens. Tatar went through like 8 games where he couldn't buy a goal.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
To spark one guy you risk disrupting the other and potentially getting 2 guys off their game. Nyquist and Z have been magic together before. They just need to work through it. Jurco or Abby there will help. Thought Jurco looked real good again last game and set up some beauties that just didn't go in. It happens. Tatar went through like 8 games where he couldn't buy a goal.

Zetterberg & Nyquist are also drawing the toughest competition I feel like, especially when Franzen is on that line. If you play him with Datsyuk, teams will suddenly put most of their resources there instead. So in the end it will probably be the same but different. Z & Gus will find a way.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Bowman used to break lines/duets just as they seemed to work out best.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should Nyquist and Tatar switch the positions for some shifts/games?

Switch linemates? Switch positions (LW/RW)? Switch ice time? Switch roles?

I don't understand what you are asking.

Tatar has great chemistry with Datsyuk, and despite the lull, Nyquist has great chemistry with Z.

I don't see any reason to switch them. Especially not Tatar right now.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
It looks to me like they are set to go off. Goose has had some chances the last couple games and so has Z. I also really like Jurco on that line. He seems to add a little more energy than mule. With how well everybody else is playing I wouldn't shuffle things.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Switch linemates? Switch positions (LW/RW)? Switch ice time? Switch roles?

I don't understand what you are asking.

Tatar has great chemistry with Datsyuk, and despite the lull, Nyquist has great chemistry with Z.

I don't see any reason to switch them. Especially not Tatar right now.

As I said Bowman used to do so.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Do you Wings fan think he could be the next 'Zetterberg' for this team? IE A later round draft snipe, then farmed to perfection..kinda deal?

Last year he went on that run, he was a house hold name.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Do you Wings fan think he could be the next 'Zetterberg' for this team? IE A later round draft snipe, then farmed to perfection..kinda deal?

Last year he went on that run, he was a house hold name.

i don't think he'll be ever as good. zeta was arguably top 5F for a while, maybe even better.

zetterberg's hockey sense, puck protection abilities and strength on his skates are on another level. nyquist has some things on zetterberg but not enough.

nyquist has nice leadership qualities and does seem like he could have letter on his chest some day.

zetterberg-lite.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zetterberg & Nyquist are also drawing the toughest competition I feel like, especially when Franzen is on that line. If you play him with Datsyuk, teams will suddenly put most of their resources there instead. So in the end it will probably be the same but different. Z & Gus will find a way.

I actually think the Datsyuk unit has been playing against top lines more recently: Seguin/Benn, the Nash unit, the Staal unit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad