Gustav Nyquist

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Huh?

I know I'm going to get called a Tatar hater again but why on earth should we be more concerned about who Tatar plays with instead of making sure Franzen gets the line mates he needs?

I'd leave the top line alone and the 4th line alone. Then find who works with Franzen best. Then worry about Tatar's line mates.

Which is the right call, Franzen is a 60+ point pace guy with higher goal per game output. People might not like him, but can you imagine the way Franzen would get torched if he was having Tatar's start to the season?

In that sense I would probably give Sheahan first crack, his touch with the puck will benefit Franzen and Nyquist more. Helm's net drive and forecheck might create more chances for Tatar who gets too puck dominant which honestly isn't something that wouldn't hurt Helm's offense as much since he doesn't have the instincts of Sheahan offensively.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen
Jurco/Nestrasil - Helm - Tatar

That is the middle six I would roll with, Jurco could probably use some time in Grand Rapids with the way he has started the season. Nestrasil is a fairly good passer and he and Helm could battle on the boards or drive the net while Tatar tries to find space or holds the puck. I think Jurco could take this roll back later in the year but right now he isn't playing up to snuff and needs to go down for a little bit in my opinion.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Huh?

I know I'm going to get called a Tatar hater again but why on earth should we be more concerned about who Tatar plays with instead of making sure Franzen gets the line mates he needs?

I'd leave the top line alone and the 4th line alone. Then find who works with Franzen best. Then worry about Tatar's line mates.

Franzen is playing with Nyquist. What more do you want? There are literally only two options here unless you split Z&D:

Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
or
Nyquist-Sheahan-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Jurco.

And I'd take the first option 11 times out of 10. Tatar and Helm is the same player on a line.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Franzen is playing with Nyquist. What more do you want? There are literally only two options here unless you split Z&D:

Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
or
Nyquist-Sheahan-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Jurco.

And I'd take the first option 11 times out of 10. Tatar and Helm is the same player on a line.

And that might very well be the answer.

I guess I misunderstood the post I was replying to. It seemed to me like the concern was catering to Tatar's needs.

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014

Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
or
Nyquist-Sheahan-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Jurco.

I can't say I agree that Tatar and Helm are the same player, but I much prefer the first iteration, as well. Sheahan seems to have good chemistry with Tatar and Jurco, and having them on the third line opens them up to more favorable matchups, which will increase their effectiveness offensively.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
the guy is scoring at a clip GRETZKY only managed to do ONCE

You mean Gretzky only managed to do it once in his first three NHL seasons? He scored 92 goals in his 3rd season in 80 games. 71 in 80 the next. 87 in 74 the next. 73 in 80 after that. Two seasons later, 62 in 79. And if we're looking at 10 game chunks, I'm sure there are lot of instances of Gretzky getting 7 goals in 10 games.

7 goals in 10 games is awesome, but it's nothing close to what Gretzky did over entire seasons multiple times. Gretzky won the Hart Trophy his first EIGHT seasons in the league.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Which is the right call, Franzen is a 60+ point pace guy with higher goal per game output. People might not like him, but can you imagine the way Franzen would get torched if he was having Tatar's start to the season?

In that sense I would probably give Sheahan first crack, his touch with the puck will benefit Franzen and Nyquist more. Helm's net drive and forecheck might create more chances for Tatar who gets too puck dominant which honestly isn't something that wouldn't hurt Helm's offense as much since he doesn't have the instincts of Sheahan offensively.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen
Jurco/Nestrasil - Helm - Tatar

That is the middle six I would roll with, Jurco could probably use some time in Grand Rapids with the way he has started the season. Nestrasil is a fairly good passer and he and Helm could battle on the boards or drive the net while Tatar tries to find space or holds the puck. I think Jurco could take this roll back later in the year but right now he isn't playing up to snuff and needs to go down for a little bit in my opinion.

I agree. Maybe we should start trying sheahan on 2nd line on some occasions. Although Nyquist can be a good playmaker I think he's more effective when jumping into play. His ability to read opponent defence and positioning himself well is one of his key attribute. I think he could use someone who can protect the puck under pressure and has ability to feed him.

Franzen is kinda same in a sense he likes someone who can feed him the puck. Frazen is usually extremely good at sniping being a trailing player or making a deflection in front of the net. I think he actually could look very good with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Obviously Z is ideal center man for both but maybe Sheahan is a reasonable alternate IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Only 3 assists for Nyquist in 20 games this year. Pretty interesting stat considering his playmaking ability.

53 goals to 90 assists in the AHL
50 goals to 94 assists in the NCAA

But 41 goals to 32 assists in the NHL.

Very odd. Not sure why that is.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Only 3 assists for Nyquist in 20 games this year. Pretty interesting stat considering his playmaking ability.
He's had some beautiful passes that haven't been converted on. Also I think he still has some figuring out to do when it comes to the pass or shoot decisions. Sometimes he overthinks situations, probably because he's trying to shoot more but it doesn't come quite natural.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think it comes down to Zetterberg being the ultimate playmaker. Z carries defenders around their own zone like a backpack and can set up plays with the best of them. Nyquist is great at finishing chances. I think it's a matter of it being his role on that line. If Nyquist was the best player on the line or any line, I'm sure the assist totals would go up.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
I thought it was common knowledge that Nyquist has been told to shoot first, ask questions later.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
On a team that lacks finishers, Babcock asked Tatar and Nyquist to be finishers.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think it comes down to Zetterberg being the ultimate playmaker. Z carries defenders around their own zone like a backpack and can set up plays with the best of them. Nyquist is great at finishing chances. I think it's a matter of it being his role on that line. If Nyquist was the best player on the line or any line, I'm sure the assist totals would go up.

+1

On a team that lacks finishers, Babcock asked Tatar and Nyquist to be finishers.

i think they do what Babcock tells them to do.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Nyquist, I feel, is picking up some really good habits lately on the defensive end. Couple that with his already, excellent scoring tough and we have ourselves one hell of a winger!

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
A shame that he just got 3 assists so far. He's serving some beauties that don't find the back of the net yet. Numbers gotta go up sooner or later.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Next great Red Wing. He will be the next Captain, win 3 Cups, A Conn Smythe and retire a Red Wing after a long career in the Winged wheel.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The curious part is how the heck he only has four assists in 24 games. Sure isn't a lack of quality passes coming from his stick.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
The curious part is how the heck he only has four assists in 24 games. Sure isn't a lack of quality passes coming from his stick.

No, it isn't at all. They just don't find the back of the net yet. But he should get some assists soon enough. Maybe tonight? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad