Gustav Nyquist

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I actually think the Datsyuk unit has been playing against top lines more recently: Seguin/Benn, the Nash unit, the Staal unit...

Those lines aren't really the toughest lines to produce against.

That and a Nyquist is just silly unlucky atm. He could/should have had a 3-4 point night yesterday. Posts and crazy saves galore.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I thought Nyquist had his best game in a few Sunday. He was all over and had some quality chances. He will start scoring again and so will Z. I like the lines. Where do we slot Abby when he comes back?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I thought Nyquist had his best game in a few Sunday. He was all over and had some quality chances. He will start scoring again and so will Z. I like the lines. Where do we slot Abby when he comes back?

it will probably be jurco who gets bumped down.

per on-ice play, it should probably be franzen though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I guess the question is, does Jurco drop to the fourth line or does Franzen? I think probably Jurco.

Jurco worked there wit Miller and Glendening pretty well and that line is also getting lots of ice-time. Wouldn't mind at all seeing him there. Jurco also makes that line a better scoring threat, so then we will have 4 lines able to score! :amazed: :handclap: :yo:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Do you Wings fan think he could be the next 'Zetterberg' for this team? IE A later round draft snipe, then farmed to perfection..kinda deal?

Last year he went on that run, he was a house hold name.

I do not think a winger can be as good as a center. Not in the Wings system.

Jurco worked there wit Miller and Glendening pretty well and that line is also getting lots of ice-time. Wouldn't mind at all seeing him there. Jurco also makes that line a better scoring threat, so then we will have 4 lines able to score! :amazed: :handclap: :yo:

Jurco got that 4th line to produce.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agreed, with Jurco there the 4th lines becomes a bigger offensive threat. And the top line has a similar dynamic with Abdelkader on it as it does with Jurco. I like Franzen with Sheahan as well, so I think we have a good thing going with the lines as long as guys stay healthy.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
i don't think he'll be ever as good. zeta was arguably top 5F for a while, maybe even better.

zetterberg's hockey sense, puck protection abilities and strength on his skates are on another level. nyquist has some things on zetterberg but not enough.

nyquist has nice leadership qualities and does seem like he could have letter on his chest some day.

zetterberg-lite.

This. Nyquist was my favorite prospect since, well, Zetterberg. I think he's going to continue to develop and be better than he is today. But Zetterberg he is not.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Nyquist hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and some of you are writing him off as nothing more than a complimentary winger. It wasn't until Zetterberg's third season, and a league wide crackdown on obstruction, that his offensive game really took off.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Nyquist hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and some of you are writing him off as nothing more than a complimentary winger. It wasn't until Zetterberg's third season, and a league wide crackdown on obstruction, that his offensive game really took off.

Look, I'm one of the biggest Nyquist fans around (as you can tell by my avatar). But he's 25, and it's very unlikely that he has a breakout season at this point. I'd love for it to happen, but it's much more likely that he remains what he is - a better Filppula on the wing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Look, I'm one of the biggest Nyquist fans around (as you can tell by my avatar). But he's 25, and it's very unlikely that he has a breakout season at this point. I'd love for it to happen, but it's much more likely that he remains what he is - a better Filppula on the wing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Go look up how old Zetterberg was when he put up 85 points in 2005-06.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I think Nyquist is fine. I think he may have physically peaked but he has a lot of room to grow mentally so I don't think an 80 point season is out of the question when it all comes together.

With that being said, I don't think he should be paired with Zetterberg. Zetterberg likes to rag the puck and hang on to it forever. Nyquist is good when he can exploit his quickness (acceleration/shiftiness not necessarily speed) and I don't think he can use it when Zetterberg is slowing the game down like he likes to do. I think Nyquist would be better suited to play with Datsyuk because Pav's has the ability to play a few different types of offensive games. He works well holding the puck, he can work a give-and-go with an intelligent player(which I think Nyquist is), and he can also work off the rush.

I obviously don't want to break Tatar and Datsyuk up because that has been working very well but I don't think Nyquist works as well with Zetterberg now that we know what Gus is capable of on his own.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Nyquist is fine. I think he may have physically peaked but he has a lot of room to grow mentally so I don't think an 80 point season is out of the question when it all comes together.

With that being said, I don't think he should be paired with Zetterberg. Zetterberg likes to rag the puck and hang on to it forever. Nyquist is good when he can exploit his quickness (acceleration/shiftiness not necessarily speed) and I don't think he can use it when Zetterberg is slowing the game down like he likes to do. I think Nyquist would be better suited to play with Datsyuk because Pav's has the ability to play a few different types of offensive games. He works well holding the puck, he can work a give-and-go with an intelligent player(which I think Nyquist is), and he can also work off the rush.

I obviously don't want to break Tatar and Datsyuk up because that has been working very well but I don't think Nyquist works as well with Zetterberg now that we know what Gus is capable of on his own.
I like Gus with Z, Z has just been ICE cold for a while now. I would be interested in putting Sheahan or Weiss in the middle between Z and Gus.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Go look up how old Zetterberg was when he put up 85 points in 2005-06.

He also lost a year to the lockout before that. He likely would have put up similar numbers during the lockout season.

And he was 25/26, so it's not like he was way older than Nyquist. If Nyquist is going to get substantially better, it needs to happen next year (or sometime this year).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He also lost a year to the lockout before that. He likely would have put up similar numbers during the lockout season.

And he was 25/26, so it's not like he was way older than Nyquist. If Nyquist is going to get substantially better, it needs to happen next year (or sometime this year).

Zetterberg also had better point distribution between goals and assists his entire career up to that point. Nyquist won't sniff 85 points until he starts grabbing some more assists, and until he actually does it...well, he's a good goal scoring wing (which I certainly don't mind).

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I'm sure some of you see that Nyquist is slowly taking charge on his line and it has been moderately successful. I'm not sure if he engages in those puck keep-away game with Dats but I 'think' I see improvements which will be very important to this team in future.

I have no worries with Nyquist. With Z and D still around Nyquist can still continue to develop on his own pace. He's not even close to reaching his potential and he looks like he knows what to do to get there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"Playmaker" -Nyquist finally showing on the scoreboard.

4+11=15 points in last 12 games.

Nothing against his goalscoring, but this is the "real" creative Nyquist I've been waiting for. And that's why Zetterberg (and Abdelkader) are scoring again...

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zetterberg and Abdelkader have barely played with Nyquist at even strength lately. Unless you're talking about the PP?

Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan have had some nice chemistry together though for the most part.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Nyquist had a grand total of 1 even strength assist to Zetterberg/Abdelkader going back to November.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad