Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ohl4life who I believe and has shown to have inside knowledge said Buchinger is on the board. Not sure I believe other suggested
possibilities though.
I am all in with a soft sell and buy under the circumstances.
Remember I am the guy still hoping for Poitras to return. Even with his 2 assists last night his minutes were down and they are now trying to use him as a winger.
Interesting to see Steve Simmons mention the difference with his Bruins / Team Canada results.
it was 50/50 and still is, but i think more 70.30 staying now. i would move him all day but not my decision.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Maybe Michael doesn't want to move similar to Ryan Parent.
I am OK with this as we are still competitive this year and our draft board is decent for next year. Only a couple forward holes to fill next year.
I am as disappointed as everyone, especially our graduating players, since this should have been our year to make a run but due to circumstances beyond our control (Poitras) it is what it is.
Just think what the team will look like if Poitras is returned after the TDL along with Allen and Beauchense.
Don't think teams will be excited to meet us in the playoffs with our defensive record this year.

Reactions: bobber

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Maybe a contender will be willing to trade for Poitras' rights similar to the Kitchener/Fabbri deal but with conditions if he is returned.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Using my jokes Midwest? I posted this on the Ranger thread. Plagiarism! Just joshing;)
I was absolutely thinking this also. LOL. Didn't want to crush MidwestStorm's hopes and dreams, but I thought it would be a nice twist if we traded you Poitras' rights.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I was absolutely thinking this also. LOL. Didn't want to crush MidwestStorm's hopes and dreams, but I thought it would be a nice twist if we traded you Poitras' rights.
We are still waiting for Fabbri to show up! I have cheered for the Bruins for over 7 decades and love the fact they picked up Poitras. If they sent him back I wouldn't minded just to watch what he could do to impact the Storm. Doubt it happens now.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
As a Bruin fan are you not disappointed in their drafting and development that they are counting on a 19year old to make the cup run. Looks like the coach is having to spend a lot of time and attention to putting him in the right situation to succeed. (Wing, games off, sit in tight games) Long season ahead and only going to get a lot more ðifficult. I am interested to see what they do every other night for a couple months in the playoffs and how much he plays.
I am not a Bruin fan but have monitored the Boston media and boards this year just to see what they are saying.

P.s. The good news is MM was trained well (sorry couldn't resist)

Reactions: Living Vicariously

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Larry tweeted that a deal involving the Storm fell through because a player said no. Interpret that how you wish.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Time to start the sell - excess forwards and defense. Now a number of excess undrafted 04's for OA's next year.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
so what sort of player is DeZoete? Obviously a 'cast off' caught up in next season's numbers game
I hate to be blunt, but I found him largely ineffective. Wasn’t sure why he was acquired to begin with. But, for a 10th round pick, maybe he’s a flyer that will surprise down the stretch. He got caught in numbers and was moved to make room for one of the new acquisitions.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
So with the forward group we have on paper as of today, how do people think things will shake out with line combos?

Namestnikov/Karabela/Bowman
Alriksson/Luchanko/Veccia
Crane/McGuire/Paquette
Grundner/McFadden/Serlin
Mackenzie/Snelgrove

There is a logjam on defense still so I imagine there will be another tinker.
Hopefully the new forwards can spark some offense over the second half.

Defense when healthy:

Buchinger/Allen
Budnick/Beauchesne
Romeo/Sandhu
Hislop/Topp
Singh (Have to assume this rookie is sent to Jr. B.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Living Vicariously

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I would flip Grundner and Crane for a checking line. Like Mckenzie on checking line as well.
Serlin Crane and McFadden/Snelgrove may be able to provide some goals
Top 2 lines should score more the second half if left together

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I'm glad with how the deadline went for Guelph. A full sell would jeopardize necessary mentoring for our younger players. It would've looked different if we had Poitras on the team but it is what it is. They have been drafting well and should have the pieces necessary when the next window presents itself.

smartty18

Mar 7, 2020
So with the forward group we have on paper as of today, how do people think things will shake out with line combos?

Namestnikov/Karabela/Bowman
Alriksson/Luchanko/Veccia
Crane/McGuire/Paquette
Grundner/McFadden/Serlin
Mackenzie/Snelgrove

There is a logjam on defense still so I imagine there will be another tinker.
Hopefully the new forwards can spark some offense over the second half.

Defense when healthy:

Buchinger/Allen
Budnick/Beauchesne
Romeo/Sandhu
Hislop/Topp
Singh (Have to assume this rookie is sent to Jr. B.)
Personally I’ve been really liking Luchanko and Bowman playing together. Seem to have some decent chemistry

StormFan1990

Jan 13, 2024
Should be a good game tonight, we’ll see how the team stack up against Saginaw. Both coming off loses last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad