Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Here we go again.. this team needs a #1 shutdown defenseman who can get in and stop the bleeding before the game is out of reach. I don't understand why shoemaker was acquired but he's my first choice of players to be moved, his impact on the ice is very questionable and he was in no way an upgrade over Rhodes.

EastviewoftheStorm

Dec 2, 2017
The 'Hounds weren't what I was expecting (did the call-ups to the juniors make that much of a difference?), but I want to talk defence: Popovich was hung out to dry, D was caught watching (1st goal), and then a lack of interest/motivation for the rest of the Christmas "Carrolls" that were sung.
How do you motivate your D? Option #1: let each of them dawn the goalie garb and see what Daws/Popovich experience on a regular basis. Option #2: Off-ice team building--maybe an escape room? Option #3: move a forward to defense, and a defenseman To forward. These suggestions might seem a little unorthodox, but what's happening now is not working.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
The 'Hounds weren't what I was expecting (did the call-ups to the juniors make that much of a difference?), but I want to talk defence: Popovich was hung out to dry, D was caught watching (1st goal), and then a lack of interest/motivation for the rest of the Christmas "Carrolls" that were sung.
How do you motivate your D? Option #1: let each of them dawn the goalie garb and see what Daws/Popovich experience on a regular basis. Option #2: Off-ice team building--maybe an escape room? Option #3: move a forward to defense, and a defenseman To forward. These suggestions might seem a little unorthodox, but what's happening now is not working.
what were you expecting from the Hounds

Reactions: storm surge

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Give some credit to the #1 team in the CHL. The first period was amazing, both teams were putting in their all. I think the boom was lowered in the sault room between periods one and two as the hounds came put loaded for bear and the superiority showed. The players for up north have bought into the system and it showed. From the goalie out everyone knows his job and executes. The fore check was relentless and two men on the puck carrier. it was disappointing to watch our guys toyed with at times, but also great to see a team hat will certainly be going somewhere come the playoffs and probably beyond. They remind me a lot like the 2013-14 Storm, no holes and can only get better. Yesterdays game was a learning experience for our guys, we are doing pretty well so far and will only get better.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Give some credit to the #1 team in the CHL. The first period was amazing, both teams were putting in their all. I think the boom was lowered in the sault room between periods one and two as the hounds came put loaded for bear and the superiority showed. The players for up north have bought into the system and it showed. From the goalie out everyone knows his job and executes. The fore check was relentless and two men on the puck carrier. it was disappointing to watch our guys toyed with at times, but also great to see a team hat will certainly be going somewhere come the playoffs and probably beyond. They remind me a lot like the 2013-14 Storm, no holes and can only get better. Yesterdays game was a learning experience for our guys, we are doing pretty well so far and will only get better.

Haven't had a chance to watch this game yet. (Probably won't watch the video given the score.) I love this comment though. Give credit where credit is due. This type of match up is about learning at this stage, similar to playoff hockey. Anyone who expected Guelph to win this game was dreaming. The hope is that the team can learn from these experiences and their opponents strengths to inspire hard work, conditioning, and come out strong next game, next year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Soo has 8 rookies in their line up which makes them scary for the next couple of seasons.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Here we go again.. this team needs a #1 shutdown defenseman who can get in and stop the bleeding before the game is out of reach. I don't understand why shoemaker was acquired but he's my first choice of players to be moved, his impact on the ice is very questionable and he was in no way an upgrade over Rhodes.
YYYYUP!... but I think instability throughout line-up is big here .. though Rhodes was a mystery move .. the shoe ain't bad but..maybe Rhodes wanted out. I think the game fairly reflected the gap in teams. Again I say.. Merk is a forward......I watched the SOO players running and stretching all over the empty arena an hour before game time.....YES ..we need a shut down D.. an OA..BIG.. mobile .. and Merk to only come back in D zone to assist on back check.. he could be all time scoring champ..but not like this...+-..his line mates reflect this too.. .he's 50/50 man.... c'mon mgmt. ..wake up..!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
YYYYUP!... but I think instability throughout line-up is big here .. though Rhodes was a mystery move .. the shoe ain't bad but..maybe Rhodes
The Soo has 8 rookies in their line up which makes them scary for the next couple of seasons.
Haven't had a chance to watch this game yet. (Probably won't watch the video given the score.) I love this comment though. Give credit where credit is due. This type of match up is about learning at this stage, similar to playoff hockey. Anyone who expected Guelph to win this game was dreaming. The hope is that the team can learn from these experiences and their opponents strengths to inspire hard work, conditioning, and come out strong next game, next year.
8 rookies ... tops in junior... kinda begs some questions n'est ce pas?..
wanted out. I think the game fairly reflected the gap in teams. Again I say.. Merk is a forward......I watched the SOO players running and stretching all over the empty arena an hour before game time.....YES ..we need a shut down D.. an OA..BIG.. mobile .. and Merk to only come back in D zone to assist on back check.. he could be all time scoring champ..but not like this...+-..his line mates reflect this too.. .he's 50/50 man.... c'mon mgmt. ..wake up..!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
1st period as I saw it... the writing was already on the wall...

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Storm fans, every time I see the highlights on the OHL site I see train wreck shifts from Merkley. What gives? Is his stock falling that much? The optics aren't good from a neutral perspective. Can he turn it around in time?

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
IMO.. Merc.. could be losing confidence.. as well as team mates.. this mgmt. group must make the logical choice... make him the likely greatest scoring center in storm history with a couple big mobile D backing him up ...or continue to watch a dynamic of great and terrible throughout his career..this ship needs tightening up .. leadership from above ... not huge minus stats all over the line-up.. Merk can be an efficient back checker at center .. but a D he will never B... and I really do want to see him and the team succeed.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I personally think the problem with Guelph is the man coaching the team (George Burnett), his style hasn't change at all, as from what I saw from the Generals game Sunday Guelph has some nice pieces.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
What I saw Saturday was a team with a system (SSM) and a team largely without one (Guelph). Hard to believe a coach with Burnett's experience would be so badly out coached.
For what its worth- the top 4 teams in the OHL this year (SSM, Sarnia,Hamilton, Kitchener) all have coaches in their 40s. Burnett is 55- has the on ice game passed him by?

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
27 GA in the last 4 games.. christmas break couldn't have come at a better time. There's some clear separation between the contenders and Guelph. Unfortunately the last 2 weeks were Merkleys to prove he's up to the task and he blew it, frustration boiled over in the 3rd VS SSM and he decided to take the puck through everybody and lost it every time, 6th Soo goal he was still at the red line.
A lot of players had to step up and they didn't, Smith looks out of place and I feel like his hits are simply not welcome in this league. Players can skate and cut through the middle with their head down, get nailed and then the hitter gets penalized. He's effectively neutered and his development is now hindered as he has to tiptoe on the ice to avoid crushing checks.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
27 GA in the last 4 games.. christmas break couldn't have come at a better time. There's some clear separation between the contenders and Guelph. Unfortunately the last 2 weeks were Merkleys to prove he's up to the task and he blew it, frustration boiled over in the 3rd VS SSM and he decided to take the puck through everybody and lost it every time, 6th Soo goal he was still at the red line.
A lot of players had to step up and they didn't, Smith looks out of place and I feel like his hits are simply not welcome in this league. Players can skate and cut through the middle with their head down, get nailed and then the hitter gets penalized. He's effectively neutered and his development is now hindered as he has to tiptoe on the ice to avoid crushing checks.
Russian Ds early game... crushing face to face checks and beautiful stretch passes up the middle ..is gone ..WHY?..now he plays with Merc and his +- suffers..........trade Smith ..
don't make mistake of not trading like a few yrs ago..Fabri.. Bert..etc..

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
What I saw Saturday was a team with a system (SSM) and a team largely without one (Guelph). Hard to believe a coach with Burnett's experience would be so badly out coached.
For what its worth- the top 4 teams in the OHL this year (SSM, Sarnia,Hamilton, Kitchener) all have coaches in their 40s. Burnett is 55- has the on ice game passed him by?
Does experience equal success? I would like to know how many good seasons Burnett had in the OHL? Say a winning percentage above 55%. I woulf suggest a handful or so in 20 some seasons.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Does experience equal success? I would like to know how many good seasons Burnett had in the OHL? Say a winning percentage above 55%. I woulf suggest a handful or so in 20 some seasons.
Actually 8 seasons out of 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad