Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I guess no comment on Owen Lalonde?

Honestly, I forgot he was on the team. I guess that means he's been decent on a team that struggles to defend.

That said, through the dozen or so games I've seen him play, I have a really tough time seeing him as the 2nd OA pick last year. I can't imagine Sudbury couldn't have found a better player who was willing to report. Oh well. Hard to predict how 15 year olds are going to transition to the OHL - just ask Guelph's scouting department :cool:

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Honestly, I forgot he was on the team. I guess that means he's been decent on a team that struggles to defend.

That said, through the dozen or so games I've seen him play, I have a really tough time seeing him as the 2nd OA pick last year. I can't imagine Sudbury couldn't have found a better player who was willing to report. Oh well. Hard to predict how 15 year olds are going to transition to the OHL - just ask Guelph's scouting department :cool:

Thanks, for the reply, hit on the nail. I thought he would be putting up better numbers with Guelph, but still young and developing.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
It's taken a few games to make the adjustment, but Lalonde is settling in nicely as a two way defender- not flashly like Merkley but doesn't drive you crazy like Merkley either. Maybe not a 2nd OA draft pick but solid- should develop nicely into a good D man in the O and minor pros

Reactions: cub

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Good effort put forward this afternoon and it paid off. There were parts of the game that I wish the Storm had shown the tenacity of the Knights - but gotta give them credit for bringing it in the 2nd and 3rd. I hope Poppy keeps it up - if so, he could be the real deal. I agree, Hillis' confidence grew wonders this weekend and hopefully things continue. I still shake my head at the placement of 23 but not sure what else they can do with him except the obvious.
Jones - he's not right in the head. He seemed ok as long as the game was open for the taking, but his modus operandi becomes fairly evident when he feels the game is over. Anyone that thinks he didn't toss his shoulder/upper arm/slight elbow into Merkley's head needs to take off their tinted glasses. Even Ryan Pyette tweeted that the refs missed it. That's the way the meathead plays when things don't go his way - he had full intent on that as a headshot even if others argue it wasn't a blatant elbow. And it wasn't his first attempt at anyone all afternoon. Repeat offender and I hope the league takes a look at it.

Did your tinted glasses obstructed your own view of the incident and missed Merkley's big dive after he turned on to Jones !

I do however question the reason of Jones presence while skating very close to Merkley, but clearly his elbow or forearm did not come up to make contact as it was made onto his right shoulder. What is puzzling me is Hillis had puck possession skating out when Jones surprised skating appearance by Merkley, he could have turned around chasing after the puck carrier. It looked like he tried to give Merkley the big scare and succeeded when Merkley jumped and turned into Jones. Now this scaring tatical move by Jones even if he did not attempt to do any hitting has no place in hockey and is a misconduct in itself, and so was all that extra free style dancing by Merkley before he dropped himself to the ice.

Last edited:

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
As a fan who had a front row view of both of the Merkley hits, I can say your all half right in your assumption of the hit. It wasn't an elbow that hit him in the face, it was the butt end of Jones' stick that did the job. And that was real blood dripping out of his face. As for the first hit Jones should have been tossed from the game. It was a much nastier hit to the head and it was a late hit. Merkley had passed the puck.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Fastpace
The only part you missed in your review was Merkley cutting himself ala Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler because how else could he have been bleeding? Apparently not from the 'phantom' hit.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Did your tinted glasses obstructed your own view of the incident and missed Merkley's big dive after he turned on to Jones !

I do however question the reason of Jones presence while skating very close to Merkley, but clearly his elbow or forearm did not come up to make contact as it was made onto his right shoulder. What is puzzling me is Hillis had puck possession skating out when Jones surprised skating appearance by Merkley, he could have turned around chasing after the puck carrier. It looked like he tried to give Merkley the big scare and succeeded when Merkley jumped and turned into Jones. Now this scaring tatical move by Jones even if he did not attempt to do any hitting has no place in hockey and is a misconduct in itself, and so was all that extra free style dancing by Merkley before he dropped himself to the ice.

I wondered how long that would take. I think you answered your own question. Jones was shadowing Merkley with the intent of making the contact. He threw his shoulder into Merkley's head at the minimum - I didn't say it was necessarily it was his elbow. At the end of the day, he intended to do what he did. The boy is not right in the head - and you know it. His previous suspensions speak well to it.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Fastpace
The only part you missed in your review was Merkley cutting himself ala Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler because how else could he have been bleeding? Apparently not from the 'phantom' hit.

I don't meam to sound bias or anything like that, I want to give an opinion viewed from the guy on the other side, and give full mark to the Storms clean victory over the Knights !

Jones was skating by at a very close proximity behind Merkly as he did Merkley turned around from his left side and his face made contact on Jones right shoulder. It looked like incidental at least the referees must of thought it was as no call on the play was made, there were absolutely no butt-end stick anywhere near the face and no attempt to hit anyone by either party. I do however question Jones' presence near Merkley and the big wavy fall by Merkley, it would be nice to view the replays. As for Jones hit at the corner in the first it was dumb, exessive and needless, and I am being careful with my words now, had it been me coaching I'd have sat him for the rest of the game. IMHO

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I wondered how long that would take. I think you answered your own question. Jones was shadowing Merkley with the intent of making the contact. He threw his shoulder into Merkley's head at the minimum - I didn't say it was necessarily it was his elbow. At the end of the day, he intended to do what he did. The boy is not right in the head - and you know it. His previous suspensions speak well to it.

Now that's a very bias view and you are entitle to make it, after all this is your site, I previously stated my personnal view and opinion so I am not going to comment on subject anymore. I want to whish you and all my Storms fans the very best of season !!!

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Fastpace exactly how close were you to the play? I was 5 feet away. And where do you think the blood came from? Out of thin air? Oh I know, it was cherry juice hidden up his sleeve.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I don't meam to sound bias or anything like that, I want to give an opinion viewed from the guy on the other side, and give full mark to the Storms clean victory over the Knights !

Jones was skating by at a very close proximity behind Merkly as he did Merkley turned around from his left side and his face made contact on Jones right shoulder. It looked like incidental at least the referees must of thought it was as no call on the play was made, there were absolutely no butt-end stick anywhere near the face and no attempt to hit anyone by either party. I do however question Jones' presence near Merkley and the big wavy fall by Merkley, it would be nice to view the replays. As for Jones hit at the corner in the first it was dumb, exessive and needless, and I am being careful with my words now, had it been me coaching I'd have sat him for the rest of the game. IMHO

If you have access to a replay video (I can't find one online) please send it to me (us). I watched the replay as many times as they showed it on the centre ice board, and I think that's where our opinions might differ. Regardless, I've seen enough of Max Jones' play and your own fans commenting negatively on his sometimes goonish behaviour last year on this same HF board to know that making excuses for him doesn't necessarily wash - I think the term liability may have come up a time or two. I do appreciate you acknowledging that he was at least shadowing Merkley prior to the hit. The boy is a predator when he puts his mind to it - all you have to do is watch him in isolation from the rest of the play - and I mean focus on him and only him regardless of where the puck is in play. I did it yesterday when the game was 3-0 and he was a man on a mission.
As for the refs missing it - well, they miss a lot regardless of the team committing the infraction. Sometimes I think they get caught watching the game instead of doing their job. Hopefully a complaint was lodged and the league reviews it, but I'm pretty doubtful anything will come of it.

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Fastpace exactly how close were you to the play? I was 5 feet away. And where do you think the blood came from? Out of thin air? Oh I know, it was cherry juice hidden up his sleeve.

I wasn't going to comment anymore but I found this one so darn funny I had to respond to it !

Does anyone in Guelph actually believe a fan can be seated 5 feet away from an action on the ice that is 7 to 10 feet ahead and to the right of the net. The closest fan would have been at the very least directly on the other side of the board behind the net. If we measure this up, let's say 7 feet in front of net plus the 15 feet from the red goal line to the boards, unless the fan has a flat nose and his/her face is on the big thick steamy glass that makes the play exactly 22 feet away. If the truth can't be said about how far away is the play how can anyone believe what was the true discription of a play on the ice.

Oh by the way my face was exactly 18' 3" away from my TV screen, does this place me closer !!!:laugh::nod::naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpointer

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Fastpace the only thing your comment revealed is that if you need to sit that close to the tv than you need to get your eyes checkeď because the hit was just to the right of the net not behind it.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I wasn't going to comment anymore but I found this one so darn funny I had to respond to it !

Does anyone in Guelph actually believe a fan can be seated 5 feet away from an action on the ice that is 7 to 10 feet ahead and to the right of the net. The closest fan would have been at the very least directly on the other side of the board behind the net. If we measure this up, let's say 7 feet in front of net plus the 15 feet from the red goal line to the boards, unless the fan has a flat nose and his/her face is on the big thick steamy glass that makes the play exactly 22 feet away. If the truth can't be said about how far away is the play how can anyone believe what was the true discription of a play on the ice.

Oh by the way my face was exactly 18' 3" away from my TV screen, does this place me closer !!!:laugh::nod::naughty:

I think the point was he was sitting pretty much at ice level and the incident happened right in front of him. Let's not get caught up in exact measurements. You've got no argument here unless you produce some video evidence otherwise. And again, if it actually goes to the league, I don't think any repercussion will come of it.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Fastpace how childish can you be. To take a measurement as being exact and comment on it and sarcastically say the distance you from your TV puts you closer to the action, absurd. Jones tracked Merkley from the start of the game. Showed his hand in the first period and completed his mission in the third Even hunter wasn't impressed benching him after the hit.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
You need to read it again my friend, by the way I known of a place you can get reading glasses !!! - "7 to 10 feet ahead and to the right of the net"

Fastpace the only thing your comment revealed is that if you need to sit that close to the tv than you need to get your eyes checkeď because the hit was just to the right of the net not behind it.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Fastpace how childish can you be. To take a measurement as being exact and comment on it and sarcastically say the distance you from your TV puts you closer to the action, absurd. Jones tracked Merkley from the start of the game. Showed his hand in the first period and completed his mission in the third Even hunter wasn't impressed benching him after the hit.
LOL "Hunter wasnt impressed benching him after the hit"
Well i guess Jones is with Pu,Miletic,Thomas & Formenton on being benched smh Merkley took the biggest dive. He must have forgot he was playing hockey not soccer LOL

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
LOL "Hunter wasnt impressed benching him after the hit"
Well i guess Jones is with Pu,Miletic,Thomas & Formenton on being benched smh Merkley took the biggest dive. He must have forgot he was playing hockey not soccer LOL

Yep - you're right - I don't think Hunter was impressed with any of them. Frankly, neither was I.
Funny a Knights fan comments on diving on another team's thread - hey, you guys know best - just ask the rest of the league. Dives don't generally involve the production of blood, but maybe you can shed some light on that.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Dives don't generally involve the production of blood, but maybe you can shed some light on that.
Sure can Friday Merkley received a cut to his face requiring stitches. If you have ever played hockey with stiches you know its a contact sport and sometime stiches come loose causing the cut to bleed. While attempting to dive Merkley hit his face (caused by his own actions) making the cut bleed.Clear enough for you?

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Sure can Friday Merkley received a cut to his face requiring stitches. If you have ever played hockey with stiches you know its a contact sport and sometime stiches come loose causing the cut to bleed. While attempting to dive Merkley hit his face (caused by his own actions) making the cut bleed.Clear enough for you?

Laughable and typical. Video of the dive?

Reactions: webegtodiffer

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Nic Sicoly has gone out of country and has signed to play with Aberdeen South Dakota's entry in the North American hockey leagur. He had an unsuccessful tryout with Gatineau of the Quebec league.

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
Right score but wrong team. Have some faith in your team

It has nothing to do with faith in the team. Use common sense. The Knights came in with 4 straight wins and points in 5. They had games in London and an afternoon game in Hamilton last weekend instead of a home and home with Erie Pennsylvania and 16 hours to recover with a 3.5 hour bus ride.

It was a win for me either way. Storm win, I am happy. London win, my prediction is right.
Make some predictions stormfanone. Homers don't win hockey pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad