geo1052
noobie12
Chico Maki2
Stormforthewin4
StormWatcher5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
OHL website has Flint scoring 28 goals in 7 games 25% last night. Neither of our goalies faired well, was it the defense, forwards not back checking, what? 7 goals on 39 shots, less than .83o save percentage, we need help! Needing 8 goals to win a game is a lot to ask for.

Stormforthewin

Sep 23, 2016
Interesting quote from Quinn Hanna from his interview with a Peterborough paper -

"Guelph has been trying to rebuild around a lot of key young players. They definitely have a lot of skill in Guelph but I'm not sure if they're going to be able to come together as a team with that skill or not. To be a great team it doesn't just take a lot of good players. It takes a lot of good players to come together as a good team,"

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I think we have to wait until the quarter mark - +/- 17 GP - before really being able to get a read on this team.

Players have been in and out of the lineup all year this year between pro-camps and injuries, so it'll take a little bit to gel. Plus, not having Royal City Smitty hurts too.

All that said, it has to be concerning that the goaltending and defense (both defenders and team defense) have both been so erratic to start the season.

I'd say we are at alert level Yellow....starting to look a little Orange.

Going to have to be better than against Flint!

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Apparently Merkley is "doubtful" for tonight. I didn't see the Flint game so not sure what's happened to him. Hopefully nothing long term.

Storm have made a minor trade with Niagara acquiring 1999 born defenceman Andrew Somerville for a 14th round pick. Somerville only played 11 games for the IceDogs last year with 3 assists. No games in the OHL yet this year. Even though the trade was just announced I've been told he's already been practicing with the Storm this week.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Apparently Merkley is "doubtful" for tonight. I didn't see the Flint game so not sure what's happened to him. Hopefully nothing long term.

Storm have made a minor trade with Niagara acquiring 1999 born defenceman Andrew Somerville for a 14th round pick. Somerville only played 11 games for the IceDogs last year with 3 assists. No games in the OHL yet this year. Even though the trade was just announced I've been told he's already been practicing with the Storm this week.
He got boarded fairly early in the game. Late in the 1st I believe? It wasn't the worst but I was surprised a penalty wasn't called. He laid on the ice until the play was whistled quite some time later. Trainer came out and Ryan held and slowly moved his right knee. He missed a couple shifts but played the rest of the night. I never quite saw what Guelph fans complain about Ryan in previous games. Wednesday was a bit different. He just seemed half interested in the game, had a few turnovers and was just slow to skate back after the turnovers. He didn't generate as much offense or move the puck up ice as effectively as he has in previous games vs Flint. It may have partially been due to taking that shot though.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph 4, Niagara 2, GWG by Toropchenko.

Insightful quote from Hanna. I'm not ringing any alarm bells. This team would be wise to go for DiPietro if the run is to be had next year. That being said, the team defense needs a lot of work. No adds needed on forward, the goals are there. Grab DiPietro to keep him from another team and to make a little noise in the playoffs this year.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Indeed. he is showing zero hustle, often losing races to the puck when it's behind the net, or being the last man back on a neutral zone turnover that he was responsible for. That turnover in front of the empty net was downright embarassing

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Fudgeo, your right with everything you've said. He is getting worse and I don't think that his teammates are any to happy at always having to clean up his messes. Many times we've seen this happen, and seen the looks on their faces afterwards. I think it's time for the coaches to step up and fix the problem.

Last edited:

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
It appears for tonights game 27 and 6 are going to finally be separated.
I can't believe it has taken them this long to figure that out.

Sarnia 7
Guelph 1
gwg Ruzicka

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
A couple of quick questions: Why did the Storm decide to keep Matt Hotchkiss as part of this team? From my few games that I have attended not much has changed. Poor decision making with the puck, slow foot work, etc. This past Friday against Niagara I do not think he saw the ice for the 3rd period. I just wondered why we let younger players leave instead. If this is still a development year I would think we would want to give younger players more of an opportunity.

What does the coaching staff do with Merkley. The kid is super talented but what I saw on Friday night was disturbing. I don't think you want to stifle his creativity and playmaking but if he is going to be a defensemen then he has to be responsible in his own end.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Why does Merkley have to be responsible in his own end? Or hustle back when he loses the puck on one of his many forays into the offensive zone? Or learn from his many mistakes? That would assume there is accountability on his part, which I haven't seen yet, nor a requirement of the coaching staff to do so.
It was tolerable last year when he was a 16 yo rookie, why it is still acceptable this year is beyond me.

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
My question is this. If the Hillis, toropchenko, ratcliffe line is a total of -8,-11,-11 this early in then i dont see the chemistry. Their points come from pp which is fine. But a total of -30 this early then try something different. Hillis has 1 goal and it was an empty net. If our top line has a this large negative ratio then we are in a lot more trouble than we think. Just my opinion. Add merkley's - 9 and you can see we will never win games even strength. I really hope we can turn things around.

TEAM PLAYER STATSVIEW ALL
GOALIEWLGAASAV%
Anthony Popovich343.040.902
Cole Ceci0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Everyone here is talking goaltending and defence, and it is a glaring hole. But what about the offence? 3 goals in the last 3 games isn't going to get wins, even if they were playing solid defensively.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
I feel the defense is okay, if defense was their only goal. Hard for a player like Merkley, but it must be done. He was exciting to watch last year and the mistakes made were put down as rookie mistakes. Now that it is his second year you would have hoped that some of the mistakes would be fixed with experience, but alas that doesn't seem to be the case. Boardering on being a great player I think he will be stuck at being a good player unless he makes some changes, He has to realize that there are 4 other skaters on the ice with him and he must use them. Maybe a sit down with the coaching staff would be of benefit, if that doesn't work nail him to the bench for a couple of games.
A second point, read Hanna's comments with interest. This team reminds we of the 1999-2000, all kinds of talent, but no team unity. There has to be a shake up to get the team on track. When you have a team loaded with drafted players you'd think that there would be more heart in the game., being drafted shouldn't have the only goal. Progression to a higher level must be the next goal. The drafting teams want to see improvement not stagnation. Our third and fourth lines are out performing our top two by far, good on the third and fourth, shame on the other two. What is the answer? Maybe mixing the lines up new line mates may make a deference, nothing ventured nothing gained. We have a lot of gaining to do!

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I agree with a lot you said. Whatever happened to the "we" being more important than the "me" in a team sport. There is no doubt that smith and merkley are great players. I realize smith hasnt played yet but Last year smith scored some great goals but how many did he cost the team by leading the league in penalties. The team got scored the pk because of his penalties x10 compared to the points he contributed. The same with merkley. He creates some offence and gets points. But how many does he cost the team in Turnovers and selfish play. My point is that to win as a team , then the team must come first. If star players are hurting the team more then helping then they need to be disciplined like anyone else. It is a TEAM game. I know you guys will rip me a new one on here for saying this, but a lot of slefish players are being rewarded By being drafted. So why would they ever change their play now. I have only been following the storm since 2013 so maybe I was spoiled in thr beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad