GDT: Group S • May 6 • Russia 4, Norway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Im actually always been very surprised that Latvia is so much better than Lithuania and especially Estonia (basically same number of people...probably least for Latvia?) Well why can these southern finno-ugric not play like their northen cousins Finland????
Lithuania is not into winter sports at all. We view them as Southern Europeans.

Both Latvia and Estonia are good at winter sports, but Estonians just don't play hockey. They're good at skiing and stuff like that. No hockey traditions there.

Like 90% of the Estonian hockey team is comprised of Russians living in Estonia.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
But there must have been some left over from the Sovjet period or what? Even an old rink is better than nothing. In Denmark people played for years in something that look like ancient relics.

In the time of soviet union it was like today the only place money was invested regarding hockey was soviet latvia,because before occupation we already had good hockey tradition and we even played in A group in 1939 if im not mistaken,i probably am.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In 1949 for WC Denmark didn't have a single rink. People trained on frozen lakes. When you know about Danish weather you can play hockey like 3-5 days every year that way! Is a bit equivalent to the Jamaican Bobsleigh team.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
In 1949 for WC Denmark didn't have a single rink. People trained on frozen lakes. When you know about Danish weather you can play hockey like 3-5 days every year that way! Is a bit equivalent to the Jamaican Bobsleigh team.

Lack of exposure to hockey is also to blame for basically non-existant hockey programme.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In the time of soviet union it was like today the only place money was invested regarding hockey was soviet latvia,because before occupation we already had good hockey tradition and we even play in a group in 1939 if im not mistaken,i probably am.

It's actually very strange what countries in Europe that had hockey tradition and those who hasn't. Poland used to be quite good and are totally gone now. Denmark and Norway has a bit come from no-where. Why Czechoslovakia and not Hungary or other eastern countries. Why not Holland with all their scating craze. Their speed scaters are MEGA stars.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In the time of soviet union it was like today the only place money was invested regarding hockey was soviet latvia,because before occupation we already had good hockey tradition and we even played in A group in 1939 if im not mistaken,i probably am.
1933 - Finished in 10th place
1935 - Finished in 13th place
1938 - Finished tied in 10th place
1939 - Finished in 10th place

European Championship record
1932 - Finished in 8th place

Olympic Record
1936 - Finished tied in 13th place

Seems like we've always been 8th to 13th. :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
It's actually very strange what countries in Europe that had hockey tradition and those who hasn't. Poland used to be quite good and are totally gone now. Denmark and Norway has a bit come from no-where. Why Czechoslovakia and not Hungary or other eastern countries. Why not Holland with all their scating craze. Their speed scaters are MEGA stars.

Yeah i`m wondering about holland too,if they started the ball rolling they could be in elite in about 20 years.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Olympic Record

We weren`t that bad even before occupation.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So, 5 points in 2 games for Malkin.

Should see him on pace for 18 points in the group stage.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Olympic Record

So it's actually quite old in latvia. Pre-sovjet. How did that happen. Some north american immigrants comming back after the WW1?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Good to see the Swiss back as a real power. They actually have 1 silver and 8 bronze medals from WC 1930-50's if i remember correctly!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah i`m wondering about holland too,if they started the ball rolling they could be in elite in about 20 years.

I would definetely think that too. I mean they really have the rinks. Their speed scating program is like super high tech with wind tunnels and special scating alloys and what-name-it.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I would definetely think that too. I mean they really have the rinks. Their speed scating program is like super high tech with wind tunnels and special scating alloys and what-name-it.

It`s probably the same as Estonia-lack of hockey exposure, if they started to put commercials and showed NHL-KHL-DEL-SEL hockey on national tv that would really help,because they already have rink and all that.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
So it's actually quite old in latvia. Pre-sovjet. How did that happen. Some north american immigrants comming back after the WW1?
Nah, just like everyone else we played bandy at the very early beginnings (late 19th, early 20th centuries), but slowly hockey gained the upper-hand, with the first game played in 1909. It was brought here by the British/Swedish and maybe someone else too. It's not like some one person came and showed us how to play. :)

It was a gradual transition from bandy to hockey.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I met a canadian speed scater who was absolutely dead envious of how big speed scating was in Holland and how big stars they were. In Canada all is hockey, so others wintersports are almost forgotten (except for some short exposure if they win an olympic gold medal).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Nah, just like everyone else we played bandy at the very early beginnings (late 19th, early 20th centuries), but slowly hockey gained the upper-hand, with the first game played in 1909. It was brought here by the British/Swedish and maybe someone else too. It's not like some one person came and showed us how to play. :)

It was a gradual transition from bandy to hockey.

You actually know Bandy!! Wow I tought it was like only Sweden, Finland, West-Russia, and a few in Norway and Kazakstan. So Bandy died out because Hockey was taking up or are you still playing it>?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I actually played for the danish lacrosse team for the european championship in 2004 (i was actually conducting the first practice on danish soil in 2001). Latvia was taking it up at the same time. We got 10 and Latvia 11. I scored in our win against Latvia (sorry) but we both beat Italy then (they got 12'th)-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad