GDT: Group S • May 5 • Latvia 2, Russia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Popov was good. Has nice chemistry with Perezhogin since they are linemates in Omsk, and playing with Malkin doesn't hurt.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Russia is not a medal contender this year,not by a long shot.
Mm, no, I wouldn't say so. They'll get better + they'll have a few NA additions. But, yes, they're surely not the favorites of the tournament.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Well looks like he's going to have to wait 2 more years till his KHL deal expires before he begins to learn those lessons. If he looks out of place against Latvian just wait until he has to face NHL caliber defenseman against Canada and USA.

You really think so?
Kuznetsov was doing just fine against his Canadian peers the last two years at WJC, and most of those guys are now playing in NHL.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Stupid PK ruined it all.

Russia today was meh,game changer was malkin,without him russia is average team.
Today it was Malkin, next time it might be Datsyuk, Varly can steal a game as well. And it's not like other players are absolute mediocrity.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
A few observations:

- I don't care what he does in the NHL, Nikitin is painfully average....I have no idea why he's there over Korneev.
- Malkin is simply the best player in the world.
- Kuz has mega-skills, but his youth is showing.
- Redlihs is damn good. Too bad he's leaving DR.
- Nikulin could be the best defenseman not in the NHL.
- Perezhogin/Popov work well together
- Russia's team defense is sloppy; but its early.
- Too bad Zaripov/Morozov are injured. This team could use them.
- Always impressed with Kulemin's 2-way game.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
A few observations:

- I don't care what he does in the NHL, Nikitin is painfully average....I have no idea why he's there over Korneev.

Hardly controversial statements. :sarcasm: Though Nikitin was no worse than any other Russian defenseman not named Nikulin. I don't get why everyone jumps on his back.

VladNYC*

Lot's of skill, shaky start, questionable defense. What else is new?

Nikulin is a boss! :handclap:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
A few observations:

Good call! And, as you say, its important to remember that its early. Injuries have really hurt Russia this year. I would have loved to have Tarasenko, and certainly Morozov and Zaripov would have added a lot, but overall, this lineup could surprise some people.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Russia would have been in tough if it weren't for Malkin. Decent start from Latvia, but they always seem to have one or two soft goals that come back to kill them. Hopefully they put in a good showing against the Germans tomorrow.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Russia would have been in tough if it weren't for Malkin. Decent start from Latvia, but they always seem to have one or two soft goals that come back to kill them. Hopefully they put in a good showing against the Germans tomorrow.

We absolutley must win germans tomorrow,i`m pretty confident we will.

Yannick8*

Well looks like he's going to have to wait 2 more years till his KHL deal expires before he begins to learn those lessons. If he looks out of place against Latvian just wait until he has to face NHL caliber defenseman against Canada and USA.

Yeah Kuznetsov will have a hard time against Ryan Murray for sure... just like at the World Junior.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
17 min of icetime for Malkin, 15 for Datsyuk? That's just absurd. Both of those guys need a lot more minutes. Calle Jarnkrok nearly got more icetime for Sweden than Datsyuk did for Russia. Wtf?

Traditional Russian coaching sees 4 lines played equally.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
First period Latvia went all out - Noland hoped to score first and hold onto it as long as they could and hopefully steal a point, but when Russia (read - Malkin) turned it on - Latvia had no business being in the game. Both goals allowed were really soft, especially the first one.
Latvia looked decent - I hope they can put up a fight with Germans, but something is telling me - Germans win this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad