Not open for further replies.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Frits Nielsen -> sons Frans and Simon
Olaf Eller -> sons Lars and Mads
Todd Bjørkstrand -> sons Patrick and Oliver

and you could go on and on and on.....it's based on passion within families where everything is hockey from when the toddler can stand up on his scates in an often rundown parody of a icehockey rink.

But doesn't your country support youth sport? Clubs are a private enterprise, but youth sport is what matters?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
But doesn't your country support youth sport? Clubs are a private enterprise, but youth sport is what matters?

It's based whether the local commune want's to build a figure scating/icehockey rink........and there is only any kind of "ice" around 20 places in the entire country. Most it's placed in suburbs and small provincial towns where these passionately families are based....but state support is only the general "team denmark" for sport people...but that goes for any talent in any kind of sport (archery, roing, hockey, Bmx cycling or whatever). State only gives money to the sport that achieve success (badminton, handball, football). If Denmark gets relegated and they will receive probably nothing at all!

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
It's always a problem when a federation gets a godfather figure that thinks he is gods gift to his country...(especially if he earns a lot of money doing it).

Not to mention the guy is Latvia's version of Finnish Boss Nass (forgot his name). The guy is a freaking millionaire. He owns a huge pharmacy enterprise.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In the clubs it's based on hockey moms driving them everywhere all over the country for matches and dads training them to put it bluntly...they state has almost nothing to do with it.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
If Denmark gets relegated and they will receive probably nothing at all!

Aw, man! Even if Latvia got relegated, I still believe our hockey would survive. We should trade places. We need a good lesson, otherwise nobody wants to fight anymore. But hockey survival is mainly due to family efforts in Latvia, as the country cannot afford to support this expensive sport. Out of 17 ice rinks I think only about 10 are properly working.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Aw, man! Even if Latvia got relegated, I still believe our hockey would survive. We should trade places. We need a good lesson, otherwise nobody wants to fight anymore. But hockey survival is mainly due to family efforts in Latvia, as the country cannot afford to support this expensive sport. Out of 17 ice rinks I think only about 10 are properly working.

The good thing is that danish players always wants to play for Denmark if they have the chance.......in division 1a few will have the chance to do so. Thats why im a bit desperate for Denmark's future if we get relegated. It was blown out in the press..".now it's QF !" - if we get relegated many people will laugh and say what has Denmark to do in hockey...its humiliating like trying to do ski jumping or whatever......and loose total interest.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
If Denmark relegate, we should be able to promote again. But it will depend upon how many players going deep in the playoffs in Sweden, Finland and Germany. Our team this year -NHL'ers should easily win Division I, but if we have to rely on Danish League players alone, it won't be easy, possible, but in no way 'certain'. It would definitely be a major step back for Danish hockey since all the casual fans that the national draws in will disappear quickly with no chance of them becoming part of the valuable hardcore fans that will help grow the sport at a grassroot level.

It is also kinda ironic that Denmark has had luck at the right time many times earlier throughout the years since we got into the A group, where we either got huge upsets that put us out of danger of getting into the elimination round or had the lucky bounce in an elimination match that made us stay up. But now that we have our best team ever, we just can't get any luck at all and are facing elimination without even loosing a single match by more than two goals.

Actually todays match against Germany reminded me of Denmarks elimination round games at the U20 WJC this year, where we were playing at the same level as Switzerland and Latvia, and in my (possibly biased) eyes, had the best chances, but still ended up loosing both games in OT sending us down to division I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad