GDT: Group H • May 7 • United States 2, Slovakia 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
The only games I would be disappointed (in terms of an upset, I never like to lose) to lose are against Belarus, France and Kazakhstan.

Me too, though losing to Belarus is a real possibility unfortunately...

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I would put USA higher than rest countries you mentioned. Look at your developing programme and us (slovaks).

I would say our development program is overrated. The U20 team never performs as well as people expect (relegation round this year) and our U18 team only plays so well because they play together all year on the same team.

Plus we have a lot more hockey players than most countries, so we're just lucky that we can ice decent talent every year.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would say our development program is overrated. The U20 team never performs as well as people expect (relegation round this year) and our U18 team only plays so well because they play together all year on the same team.

Plus we have a lot more hockey players than most countries, so we're just lucky that we can ice decent talent every year.

ok, your point of view. Slovakia is not able to raise world class hockey players anymore. Our developing programme is based on knowledges from past, no modern coaching methods, nothing. I see no desire to change something :shakehead Maybe USA is not best (or equall to Canada, Sweden) but I am sure your developing programme is much better than Slovaks.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
what we missed last years was good coach...i wouldnt say that Hanlon was bad, but i believe that there were few comunication issues between him and players...czech coach Vujtek is giving us everything what we needed...and i really like that style what they are playing now...without stars but its effective...and our 3rd and 4th lines were outstanding...

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
ok, your point of view. Slovakia is not able to raise world class hockey players anymore. Our developing programme is based on knowledges from past, no modern coaching methods, nothing. I see no desire to change something :shakehead Maybe USA is not best (or equall to Canada, Sweden) but I am sure your developing programme is much better than Slovaks.

y dont say? :laugh:

and what about Tatar, Jurco, Janus, Janosik, Panik already in farms? our U20 from before few years when we beat USA after Janus heroics is all in NHL farms...you just dont hear about them...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

and what about Tatar, Jurco, Janus, Janosik, Panik already in farms? our U20 from before few years when we beat USA after Janus heroics is all in NHL farms...you just dont hear about them...

I like all these players, they are good prospects and some of them might actually become NHLers. However they are not even near the absolute top elite talent that the top countries produce. And they are far behind the likes of Hossa and Gáborík at the same age. That´s why they are only in the AHL or juniors. There´s no point in lying to ourselves.That won ´t make them into elite players.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I like all these players, they are good prospects and some of them might actually become NHLers. However they are not even near the absolute top elite talent that the top countries produce. And they are far behind the likes of Hossa and Gáborík at the same age. That´s why they are only in the AHL or juniors. There´s no point in lying to ourselves.That won ´t make them into elite players.

Well Tatar and Jurco are Red Wing prospects. No matter how well or poor they play. They wont play in the NHL until they are 23-25 anyway. heh

We wont know until they are fully intergrated into their system.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

You could be right, but I was speaking mostly about just the Senior level anyway. I think our good performances at the junior levels are purely because of the amount of talent we have to choose from. Most teams will have good years and bad years of talent, but because the U.S. (and Canada) have so many hockey players, we don't have many bad years without much talent.

Maybe KHL and MHL expansion will help the development in Slovakia.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Proud of the boys today. :yo:

Also my new favorite picture:

_jef2647_1024_thumb.jpg

Fulcrum

NHL players (US) are also highly overrated when it comes to tournaments on Big Ice. Remember, most of these guys are Average players from NHL (even Ovi did NOTHING last WC), playing against Best of European leagues. Not exactly a huge difference- hence the result! Gotta put things into perspective...

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Me too, though losing to Belarus is a real possibility unfortunately...

With the US team losing to ANYBODY is a real possibility unfortunately. Wins against Belarus and Kazakhstan should be expected, but the real knockout game is likely going to be Switzerland.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I would put USA higher than rest countries you mentioned. Look at your developing programme and us (slovaks).

Not in the World Championships. With a full senior team like in the Olympics or the U20s yes, but in the World Chamionships we have a long history of being in that group.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

where has been these guys playing since their 16/17th yo? CHL.. they are not product of slovak developing system.. look at our best guys born 1995 (Paulovic as example) - he left to Sweden.. and now compare it to sweden, finland - their best guys (majority) left country after 19/20 y to play NHL.. they dont need to leave for CHL because swedish/finnish developing programme is as good as canadian/american

Plus I fully support slovakiasnextone statement

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You could be right, but I was speaking mostly about just the Senior level anyway. I think our good performances at the junior levels are purely because of the amount of talent we have to choose from. Most teams will have good years and bad years of talent, but because the U.S. (and Canada) have so many hockey players, we don't have many bad years without much talent.

Maybe KHL and MHL expansion will help the development in Slovakia.

ok man, it is true you have adventage of more players pool.

I would like to believe KHL/MHL expansion will helps us. But it doesnt help us if we will not want to change something. Do you know what president of HC Košice said after losing to Slovan in slovak extraleague final? He said that there IS NO CHANCE khl helps slovak hockey to develop. He does not believe it?? You know, it is about envy. We need to change ppl in clubs, federation to change something.. it is tough homework. Likely Slovakia will not have MHL team next season. We will not have team at World Club Junior Cup (swedish, finnish jr champion come, Wolves of OHL as well)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not in the World Championships. With a full senior team like in the Olympics or the U20s yes, but in the World Chamionships we have a long history of being in that group.

I see you but I spoke about developing programme not World Championship results. Maybe I misundertood colleague´s statement

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I see you but I spoke about developing programme not World Championship results. Maybe I misundertood colleague´s statement

I think he was talking about the US at the World Championships. There a healthy new generation of players but honestly our development system isn't all that much better. In some ways we just replaced the old generation, which I suppose is a good thing in and of itself.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I am surprised the US has lost this one, but Slovakia is no slouch either.

I am not... Beating Canada was a big deal and this game was a let down.

So... does this mean Canada finishes first?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They are first now, but a lot of games still to play.

Fair enough.

I believe Canada and the U.S. will both have strong tournaments from here on in. The one thing they now have in common... they both know the pain of losing to an inferior opponent. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Fair enough.

I believe Canada and the U.S. will both have strong tournaments from here on in. The one thing they now have in common... they both know what it is like to lose to an inferior opponent. ;)

The US and Canada both still have to play Finland and Switzerland. Finland are the defending champions and hosts, and Switzerland, well, we all know what Switzerland can do.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just hope we can win 2 out of the next 3....that puts us in pretty darn solid shape...

I always hate those letdown games after playing your ***** off against Canada...

I think they bounce back nicely and win a couple more in a row

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010

Ok. Tatar is the oldest skater, he will turn 22 on December. Demitra was AHL-player at the same age and Supler gave him opportunity to play in Wien ´96 (1st time for Demitra) at the end of the season. You probably only forgot this, right? Palffy finished his first full NHL season as 24y old, Satan 22... I am not goning to mention Chara or Visnovsky with their careers.
Gaborik and Hossa were generational talents like Stastny brothers in 70/80-ties, Palffy and Bondra in 90-ties.
You are like Handzus and Satan last year in TV "Lampa": "We don´t have young players." Hudacek, Tatar, Bliznak or Sersen (I know he played in the most important game last WC against Denmark) probably didn´t exist in 2011, they all were born in summer and grew up only this year.
Tatar, Panik, Jurco, Tvrdon could easily turn into TOP 6 players of any NHL team in next two or three years. Then D-men like Marincin, Gernat, Janosik could be part of the strong SVK defence in future alongside Meszaros, Sekera, Jurcina or Baranka.
I am really bored of this - always reading arguments like "Tatar/Panik/Jurco is not so good as Crosby/Hossa/Malkin at the same age". Maybe Tatar is not so good as Patrik Stefan at the same age?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Embarrassing performance by Team USA. Another letdown game after a good victory - what a surprise. USA passing was atrocious and they never stopped going for the long stretch passes regardless that it was constantly getting picked and going the other way. The finishing was also bad as well. Kind of had that feeling when Stastny hesitated and then shot right into the pad when 95% of the net (still a very good save) was open that it could be that kind of night. But full credit to Slovakia. They were opportunistic, disciplined in their game plan, and fast today. Just as Canada didn't deserve to beat Team USA the other day, Team USA didn't deserve to beat Slovakia today.

Not that Jimmy Howard let it any true softies today but will he please step up his game in this tournament? That's three shaky games in a row and his rebound control was atrocious today. I think every Slovakian scoring chance either came off of an awful USA turnover or a Howard rebound.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Howard's not that great. I never saw anything special about him so I'm not surprised at his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad