GDT: Group H • May 7 • United States 2, Slovakia 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
wow, I expected a close game. Respectfully, I didn't expect Slovakia to win this. good stuff.

Would this be considered an upset? Looking at the Slovak team, I would say - not really. Way to come back from last year.

Not an upset at all. This US team is very average by tournament standards. They are about equal to the Slovaks.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Not an upset at all. This US team is very average by tournament standards. They are about equal to the Slovaks.

I´m sorry it is a huge upset especially considering how USA played first two games and especially against Canada.

Also on paper the US team is better than Slovak team. Have you checked the Slovak roster? About 8-9 of the players play in Czech and Slovak leagues.

kajoo

Jan 17, 2003
Slovakia
Visit site
I´m sorry it is a huge upset especially considering how USA played first two games and especially against Canada.

Also on paper the US team is better than Slovak team. Have you checked the Slovak roster? About 8-9 of the players play in Czech and Slovak leagues.

maybe those domestic leagues arent that bad as we might think ?

BigDaddyNYR

Calgary Flames GM
Apr 21, 2012
Hartford
Terrible loss............Gave them to many chances. Didnt convert.

Gotta come back against Belarus, and god forbid we lose that one. Still got faith.

BigDaddyNYR

Calgary Flames GM
Apr 21, 2012
Hartford
Wow....this was not a "big upset" at all.

Was this a big win for Slovakia? Of course, but a "big upset" come on now....no way.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Glad to see this, even though it ruined my bet. Congrats Slovaks!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

So? Our team from the 2nd line down is bunch of fringe NHL players 3rd-4th line grinders and our entire defense are minus players and most of them have fewer than two years of NHL experience.

If you want to think it's a huge upset, that's fine. But both these teams are in the mediocre category around 5-10 in the tournament.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
maybe those domestic leagues arent that bad as we might think ?

But it´s not about how good or bad they are. The thing is the gap that there is between them and the NHL. But it´s true that half these Extraleaguers will play for Slovan in KHL next season.

Was this a big win for Slovakia? Of course, but a "big upset" come on now....no way.

The last time Slovakia won against a big 6 team at the IHWC was in 2007. It is 2012. So yes, it is a huge upset.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011

with all those NHL players i think it was "must win" for USA...and if its on the one side big win,the opposite is big upset isnt it? :D

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
with all those NHL players i think it was "must win" for USA...and if its on the one side big win,the opposite is big upset isnt it? :D

What?

We lost to Switzerland last year. The year before we lost to Germany and Denmark. These sorts of losses are not uncommon for the US in World Championships.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I might be down grading it because I'm from US. We all have our opinions.

It´s true that except for the 1st line US team is behind the absolute top teams in this tourney. What I´m arguing is that you´re overrating the position of Slovakia. Especially when you consider that this is the full list of opponents that we managed to beat in the last 4 years at this tourney:

Slovenia,Denmark
Belarus, Kazachstan
Hungary, Norway
Norway, Slovenia

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It´s true that except for the 1st line US team is behind the absolute top teams in this tourney. What I´m arguing is that you´re overrating the position of Slovakia. Especially when you consider that this is the full list of opponents that we managed to beat in the last 4 years at this tourney:

Slovenia,Denmark
Belarus, Kazachstan
Hungary, Norway
Norway, Slovenia

France, Norway, Austria
Kazakhstan, France, Italy (in SO!)
Austria, Latvia, France, Finland (!)

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
What?

We lost to Switzerland last year. The year before we lost to Germany and Denmark. These sorts of losses are not uncommon for the US in World Championships.

we lost to the same teams...every one year...last 5 years we were 10th and worse...i count Germany and Switzerland as better teams than us...year 2002 passed a long time ago...we have now 3(?) players from NHL...rest of them is KHL or our Extraliga...so there is big difference even between players that have 2 years in NHL from your 3rd line as someone above me said and our 3rd line where is Tatar and Bartovic without zero experience from NHL (i know Tatar have few apearances in Detroit but that minutes im not counting)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
we lost to the same teams...every one year...last 5 years we were 10th and worse...i count Germany and Switzerland as better teams than us...year 2002 passed a long time ago...we have now 3(?) players from NHL...rest of them is KHL or our Extraliga...so there is big difference even between players that have 2 years in NHL from your 3rd line as someone above me said and our 3rd line where is Tatar and Bartovic without zero experience from NHL (i know Tatar have few apearances in Detroit but that minutes im not counting)

Thats rough

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I would agree with that. Germany and Switzerland tend to play fairly well at the WC. Slovakia is capable of having a really good showing, but on average aren't that great. Plus most of their stars that played amazing at the Olympics are now past their primes. Slovakia is in re-building mode.

I would put Germany, Switzerland, USA, Slovakia, and maybe Norway and Latvia as the "second tier" nations below the big 5.

It was definitely an upset, but by no means a big one as the US was only slightly favored. Anyone who thought that the US would dominate was fooling themselves.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I would agree with that. Germany and Switzerland tend to play fairly well at the WC. Slovakia is capable of having a really good showing, but on average aren't that great. Plus most of their stars that played amazing at the Olympics are now past their primes. Slovakia is in re-building mode.

It was definitely an upset, but by no means a big one as the US was only slightly favored. Anyone who thought that the US would dominate was fooling themselves.

The only games I would be disappointed (in terms of an upset, I never like to lose) to lose are against Belarus, France and Kazakhstan.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would put Germany, Switzerland, USA, Slovakia, and maybe Norway as the "second tier" nations below the big 5.
I would put USA higher than rest countries you mentioned. Look at your developing programme and us (slovaks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad