GDT: Group H • May 4 • Canada 3, Slovakia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The Schenn hate is unwarranted.

Yes he as slow as molases, yes he shouldnt have been on this team. However, I thought he did his job reasonably well. Made a couple big hits, made simple passes with the puck. He did fail to block the shot that led to a goal, but I guarantee you that if that was Kieth in his place on that play, not one person would call him out.

Phaneuf was our most solid defenceman. Vlasic looked very good as well. Getzlaf and O'Rielly lines played really well all game, always pressuring. Tavares, Sharp and Skinner just had some shifts when they looked like they were in a different league, but had some poor shifts as well. Not sure if Sharp is a good fit with Skinner and JT.

Eberle had a goal, but for the most part, his line with RNH and Kane was just ok. I guess when you have 3 young guys like that your not always going to get a great performance.

Kieth played well, a lot better than he did in the playoffs. Ryan Murray was solid, pretty much played not to screw up. One thing that he showed a couple glimpses of was his ability to find space and make long lead passes. he did that a couple times in the first, where he was breaking out, moved to an open corner and just rifled the puck up to the far winger. He made a couple soft plays with the puck, but thats more because the oncoming pressure is a lot faster than anything hes used to. You can see with his skillset, he is NHL ready

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sorry bro, but even as a Leafs fan, Schenn's hate is warranted. This guy would be questionable on a Canadian WJC team, let alone a senior team. I'd rather have Franson on the team. Even though he can be just as slow and pylon-esque as Schenn, at least he can contribute something offensively.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Sorry bro, but even as a Leafs fan, Schenn's hate is warranted. This guy would be questionable on a Canadian WJC team, let alone a senior team. I'd rather have Franson on the team. Even though he can be just as slow and pylon-esque as Schenn, at least he can contribute something offensively.

Franson = most overrated player on the Leafs. Ya he scored a sick slap shot goal every 10 games, and ya occasionally he comes up with a brilliant offensive pass, but he was a liability defensively on the Leafs, on big ice he will get exposed even more. And unlike Schenn, he doesnt hit or block shots.

Wilson preferred Schenn to Franson, Carlyle preferred Schenn to Franson, HC preferred Schenn to Franson. It seems just about everyone paid to make the call picks Schenn over Franson.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Franson = most overrated player on the Leafs. Ya he scored a sick slap shot goal every 10 games, and ya occasionally he comes up with a brilliant offensive pass, but he was a liability defensively on the Leafs, on big ice he will get exposed even more. And unlike Schenn, he doesnt hit or block shots.

Wilson preferred Schenn to Franson, Carlyle preferred Schenn to Franson, HC preferred Schenn to Franson. It seems just about everyone paid to make the call picks Schenn over Franson.

Franson played in 20 less games, had twice the goals, and a better +/- than Schenn and played more minutes on average. The stats speak for themselves. Also, HC didn't "prefer" Schenn over anyone. I'm sure he was their very last choice and option.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Schenn hate is unwarranted.

Yes he as slow as molases, yes he shouldnt have been on this team. However, I thought he did his job reasonably well. Made a couple big hits, made simple passes with the puck. He did fail to block the shot that led to a goal, but I guarantee you that if that was Kieth in his place on that play, not one person would call him out.

Phaneuf was our most solid defenceman. Vlasic looked very good as well. Getzlaf and O'Rielly lines played really well all game, always pressuring. Tavares, Sharp and Skinner just had some shifts when they looked like they were in a different league, but had some poor shifts as well. Not sure if Sharp is a good fit with Skinner and JT.

Eberle had a goal, but for the most part, his line with RNH and Kane was just ok. I guess when you have 3 young guys like that your not always going to get a great performance.

Kieth played well, a lot better than he did in the playoffs. Ryan Murray was solid, pretty much played not to screw up. One thing that he showed a couple glimpses of was his ability to find space and make long lead passes. he did that a couple times in the first, where he was breaking out, moved to an open corner and just rifled the puck up to the far winger. He made a couple soft plays with the puck, but thats more because the oncoming pressure is a lot faster than anything hes used to. You can see with his skillset, he is NHL ready

I'm sorry but you sound like a Leaf fanboy, and this is coming from a big Leafs fan. The Schenn hate is warranted, he looks terrible out there, once again no surprise one of his defendants brings up his hits....can we please stop mentioning that like he's the only guy in the league that does it. He should be hitting guys but hitting guys when the play is long gone is pointless and useless. Schenn really shouldn't be on this team, the big ice is just going to illustrate his flaws even more.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Honestly, no one was more worried about Schenn on being on this team than me, but he actually played decent. He made a mistake and it cost them a goal, but a lot of players made a lot of mistakes, they just weren't unlucky enough to have it cost a goal. Some of that stuff is just luck. Schenn made some really nice passes and looked overall steady.

That was a good game for Canada, the Slovaks hung around and tested Canada, lots of good things to take from that game.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
QUOTE=Someguy;49257817]Franson played in 20 less games, had twice the goals, and a better +/- than Schenn and played more minutes on average. The stats speak for themselves. Also, HC didn't "prefer" Schenn over anyone. I'm sure he was their very last choice and option.[/QUOTE]

Since when is Luke Schenn out there to score goals? And Im not naive, this was Schenn's worst NHL season, but your still not answering my question. Why did Franson play 20 less gams than Schenn? Both Leaf coaches had more faith in Schenn.

Also, Schenn was scratched 3 games last year, each time Franson drawing in. Unless I am mistaken, Franson would be sitting out the very next game. And before anyone says Leafs management is bias to Schenn, I will admitt they are. However, in large part, management does not determine who plays. That is the coach (of which we had 2)

I'm sorry but you sound like a Leaf fanboy, and this is coming from a big Leafs fan. The Schenn hate is warranted, he looks terrible out there, once again no surprise one of his defendants brings up his hits....can we please stop mentioning that like he's the only guy in the league that does it. He should be hitting guys but hitting guys when the play is long gone is pointless and useless. Schenn really shouldn't be on this team, the big ice is just going to illustrate his flaws even more.

I never said he should be on the team, but believe me, I am no Leaf fanboy. I understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Leaf players better than just about anybody.

Luke Schenn was by no means bad today. Anyone who says otherwise is simply blinded by the beauty of slick skating etc. Schenn's skating was slow and sloppy, but he did his job. He blocked some shots on the PK, didnt make any mistakes with the puck on his stick, and by an large, kept players on the outside.

I am not saying he wont get exposed on the big ice, but its like people are crucifying him before he has done anything wrong.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I missed the game, how did O'Reilly look?

To me, O'Reilly looked incredible, but was unable to finish. Still, his whole line was buzzing the entire game. There were a few times he got caught in his own zone, but he played well in both ends I think, particularly to the end when he got caught taking a lot of faceoffs on the Canada side of the ice.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To me, O'Reilly looked incredible, but was unable to finish. Still, his whole line was buzzing the entire game. There were a few times he got caught in his own zone, but he played well in both ends I think, particularly to the end when he got caught taking a lot of faceoffs on the Canada side of the ice.

Thanks. I expected that he would be the key guy when it comes to defensive zone faceoffs since he's a great defensive forward and the best faceoff taker on team Canada.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Did Seabrook decline?

Yeah he did but he's still good enough to be on the team, I'm not sure why he's not, probably injured. Same reason as Myers or Giordano, they played the end of the season but they need the summer off.

I forgot to mention, Vlasic, him and Keith are the only 2 dmen on the team I have confidence in.

It's still NHL players. They're supposed to dominate the rest of the world with one hand tied to the back. Or so I've heard.

They give us a chance but some of them are also liabilities and I'd rather have more proven or reliable NHL dmen there. There's quite a few which team Canada has overlooked and they can't use the "not prestigious or known enough" card since they have Mark Methot there.

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
Few impressions from today;

1. Super impressed with O'reilly. Tremendous forecheck pressure, great faceoff guy, sure he didn't finish any plays but you get the feeling that if he squeaks one in the floodgates might open.

2. Eberle - RNH - Burrows unit did not look great to me at all. A few shifts early in the game where they looked lost and confused in the defensive zone. Interesting to see what happens with Burrows re: health going into tomorrow

3. The defense wasn`t as horrendous as most people thought. Schenn stayed within himself and played a quietly decent game and Phaneuf was solid as well. Vlasic Boumeester looked good as well. I think Methot is actually going to be a key guy going forward so here`s hoping his health improves.

4. Skinner and Tavares are going to rip this thing up once they get acclimated with each other again. I think Sharp is a good fit on that unit as well, give them some time.

Can`t wait for puck drop tomorrow!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Few impressions from today;

1. Super impressed with O'reilly. Tremendous forecheck pressure, great faceoff guy, sure he didn't finish any plays but you get the feeling that if he squeaks one in the floodgates might open.

2. Eberle - RNH - Burrows unit did not look great to me at all. A few shifts early in the game where they looked lost and confused in the defensive zone. Interesting to see what happens with Burrows re: health going into tomorrow

3. The defense wasn`t as horrendous as most people thought. Schenn stayed within himself and played a quietly decent game and Phaneuf was solid as well. Vlasic Boumeester looked good as well. I think Methot is actually going to be a key guy going forward so here`s hoping his health improves.

4. Skinner and Tavares are going to rip this thing up once they get acclimated with each other again. I think Sharp is a good fit on that unit as well, give them some time.

Can`t wait for puck drop tomorrow!

I hope he opened some eyes in Canada, he sure deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad