GDT: Group B - May 8 - Finland vs Norway

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I don`t think we will evolve either. No rinks are being built. The status of the sport is low. In my city they are going to spend 100 million Euro on cross country and ski jumping. The skijumping slope alone will cost around 50. 50 million spent on 15 skijumpers in the area.

Yet I do see articles about Hockey and about for example Zuccarello when I read VG, so is the status that low? But of course success build more success, I guess. Ski jump havent had any interest in Sweden since the 1980ies, it is almost dead here now.

There is zero votes for politicans to win on spending money on skijump thats for sure.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
In Finland, at least areas that I know and live in, I dont understand why so much football fields are built. The teams are utter crap, no one goes to games, they play in like 6 Division, which is bad because even Finnish elite football league is probably the worst in the World after Estonia. They still spend alot of taxpayer money to those fields, but hockey rinks stay overbooked. Beer level teams, and their players such as I, who am ready to pay 300 a year just for rink payments, still hard to get decent training times. Politicians see this, and still spend millions to useless soccer fields that no one is ever going to seriously use, and no serious athlete will ever come from them, and even beer players don't consider paying almost anything of those fields because they're always empty. While private hockey arenas can ask crazy prizes of rink hour, due to lack of rinks. Adult people are ready to play like 23.00 monday night, because thats best that some team will get.

Football/soccer must be partly blamed, if some Finnish sport like Ski Jumping or running doesnt do as well anymore. We could do so much better in all sports, if less taxpayer money was spent on fields that no one uses and instead, use that wisely. Football fans in Finland are loud mouthed assholes that think their sport is more important than any other sport in Finland, I hope some time soon local hockey politicians will teach them their lesson and cut money off football.

There are probably some nice football fans. Im not saying all football fans are assholes, but all assholes definitely are football fans. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Yet I do see articles about Hockey and about for example Zuccarello when I read VG, so is the status that low? But of course success build more success, I guess. Ski jump havent had any interest in Sweden since the 1980ies, it almost dead here now.

There is zero votes for politicans to win on spending money on skijump thats for sure.
It is getting a little bit better, but still too many people consider it a low class bully sport.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
In Finland, at least areas that I know and live in, I dont understand why so much football fields are built. The teams are utter crap, no one goes to games, they play in like 6 Division, which is bad because even Finnish elite football league is probably the worst in the World after Estonia. They still spend alot of taxpayer money to those fields, but hockey rinks stay overbooked. Beer level teams, and their players such as I, who am ready to pay 300 a year just for rink payments, still hard to get decent training times. Politicians see this, and still spend millions to useless soccer fields that no one is ever going to seriously use, and no serious athlete will ever come from them, and even beer players don't consider paying almost anything of those fields because they're always empty. While private hockey arenas can ask crazy prizes of rink hour, due to lack of rinks. Adult people are ready to play like 23.00 monday night, because thats best that some team will get.

Football/soccer must be partly blamed, if some Finnish sport like Ski Jumping or running doesnt do as well anymore. We could do so much better in all sports, if less taxpayer money was spent on fields that no one uses and instead, use that wisely. Football fans in Finland are loud mouthed *******s that think their sport is more important than any other sport in Finland, I hope some time soon local hockey politicians will teach them their lesson and cut money off football.

There are probably some nice football fans. Im not saying all football fans are *******s, but all *******s definitely are football fans. :sarcasm:

Yeah Soccer is prioritized in Sweden too, but it is a cheaper sport to play, so its that factor too. And its a big sport here. Southern Sweden could use more rinks with artifical ice for sure.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Funny thing is that skijumping is now starting to be "almost dead" in Finland also. Who would have guessed that 10-15 years ago. It's a totally bonkers sport tho.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
"Football/soccer must be partly blamed, if some Finnish sport like Ski Jumping or running doesnt do as well anymore."

There's no use pouring money to track and field, running etc. Kids don't want to do it; it's too hard etc. Also no way our boys and girls can seriously compete with Africans in running. They are just too gifted at that stuff.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
It is getting a little bit better, but still too many people consider it a low class bully sport.
Well, I discussed the accident Northug had 2 years ago when he was drunk driving with a colleague at work. Northug got forgiveness from the media and the people. Would be interesting to hear what the media would say about a national player in hockey that did the same.
Good thing they got classy heroes like Northug then...

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
They still spend alot of taxpayer money to those fields, but hockey rinks stay overbooked. Beer level teams, and their players such as I, who am ready to pay 300 a year just for rink payments, still hard to get decent training times. Politicians see this, and still spend millions to useless soccer fields that no one is ever going to seriously use, and no serious athlete will ever come from them, and even beer players don't consider paying almost anything of those fields because they're always empty. While private hockey arenas can ask crazy prizes of rink hour, due to lack of rinks. Adult people are ready to play like 23.00 monday night, because thats best that some team will get.
As a beerleague player as well, I agree to must of this. Most of our games were at 10-10:30pm, best we can get is 9pm. The city I live in has basically 3-4 rinks and we use two of them.

I guess hockey is still not a cheap sport, but as an early 20's beerleaguer it's not nearly as expensive as competitive play. The fact that 14 year old's hockey career costs about 600+ euros a year + all the other side costs is ridiculous and needs to be done something about.

It's unfortunate that the game requires a playing field which costs a lot more money than soccer/football because it needs to be taken care of. I'm sure in some way they could get down the costs of the game and that way more kids to play it. Then we don't have to wonder why there's another football stadium built in Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad