GDT: Group B - May 17 - Canada (0) vs Finland (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Luckily for us, the Finnish goal song is the best in the tournament.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Luckily for us, the Finnish goal song is the best in the tournament.

Stongly disagree, but I do wish they'll put Haddaway on like they did in the WJC.

And ah promise ah'll flip.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I find the scheduling strange, plus both good and bad. On the one hand, we have two great matchups, in both pools, to end the round robin. BUT the higher cede, and better teams on paper ( aka Russia and Canada ) are playing on back to back days...

Also to start the tourney, Defending champs Canada got last year's bronze medalists USA, ( in similar fashion, silver medallist Russia started vs Czechs ) plus the home team, the team with last line change, was team red white and blue.

For the longest time schedule makers tended to favour the higher cede ( that is to say, the team which finished higher in last year's tourney ), most often saddling their, on paper, biggest rivals with back to back games...which seemed more apropos, to me, since it seemed to reward past success/ penalize failure...

Also, in previous years, Canada got to ease into the tourney by playing comparative minnows in their first couple of games...No longer it seems...

Kinda strange? So now if Suomi is the home side, on top of being the more rested team, time to call for an investigation ;)

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
ofc it's not 100% absolute free pass or so, but why lie and pretend it's not a free pass in comparison to facing russia or sweden?

Because the attitude sucks. Denmark beat the Czech Republic and have fairly recently won against Finland in one of these Skoda tournaments. To actually call it a free pass in advance is just too cocky. It's fine to write that Finland would have a much better chance against Denmark, but not to basically say it's enough if we show up.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I find the scheduling strange, plus both good and bad. On the one hand, we have two great matchups, in both pools, to end the round robin. BUT the higher cede, and better teams on paper ( aka Russia and Canada ) are playing on back to back days...

Also to start the tourney, Defending champs Canada got last year's bronze medalists USA, ( in similar fashion, silver medallist Russia started vs Czechs ) plus the home team, the team with last line change, was team red white and blue.

For the longest time schedule makers tended to favour the higher cede ( that is to say, the team which finished higher in last year's tourney ), most often saddling their, on paper, biggest rivals with back to back games...which seemed more apropos, to me, since it seemed to reward past success/ penalize failure...

Also, in previous years, Canada got to ease into the tourney by playing comparative minnows in their first couple of games...No longer it seems...

Kinda strange? So now if Suomi is the home side, on top of being the more rested team, time to call for an investigation ;)

Well, Finland played vs USA in a back to back when USA was rested. The scheduling just can't be perfectly fair for everyone.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm hoping for a tough game, regardless of Canada winning or losing. These players need some adversity given their age. Hoping for an easier route to the finals is a loser's mentality.

I'm going to guess 4-3 for Canada. Canada wins if it plays up to its potential, loses if the defencemen play to their age/inexperience.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Because the attitude sucks. Denmark beat the Czech Republic and have fairly recently won against Finland in one of these Skoda tournaments. To actually call it a free pass in advance is just too cocky. It's fine to write that Finland would have a much better chance against Denmark, but not to basically say it's enough if we show up.

Tut tut...Denmark lost 10-1 to Russia...Whichever team gets Danes in QF's...seems like a FREE PASS to me...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Tut tut...Denmark lost 10-1 to Russia...Whichever team gets Danes in QF's...seems like a FREE PASS to me...

Yeah. Denmark is as free a win for Finland as teams like France, Norway, Belarus etc. are. The team shouldn't treat it as a day off but we the fans certainly can treat it as a free win.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Well, Finland played vs USA in a back to back when USA was rested. The scheduling just can't be perfectly fair for everyone.

Yes, but Suomi was ceded lower than US going in to the tourney...so that particular scheduling does seem fair...It seemed in the old days , schedulers made a conscious decision to try to favour the higher cede vs an arch rival ( aka closely ceded team ), whenever possible

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, but Suomi was ceded lower than US going in to the tourney...so that particular scheduling does seem fair...It seemed in the old days , schedulers made a conscious decision to try to favour the higher cede vs an arch rival ( aka closely ceded team ), whenever possible

Finland certainly wasn't seeded below USA.

Sweden actually lost to Czechia in the same matchup in group A, when Czechia was rested and Sweden was on a back-to-back.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
This is gonna be a good game.

The progress of the Finnish program at all levels over the last 10 years has been truly incredible. Major kudos.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I claim to know little of showbiz, but I once was in charge of slotting up the acts for the show in the ending celebrations of our NCO course when I was doing my conscription, and the cadre personnel gave me the instructions that the show is to start with one of the better acts, there should be some good stuff in about the middle bit and the show was naturally to end with the biggest and funniest blow-out any of the NCO student platoons could manage to come up with.

Seems okay to me so.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I claim to know little of showbiz, but I once was in charge of slotting up the acts for the show in the ending celebrations of our NCO course when I was doing my conscription, and the cadre personnel gave me the instructions that the show is to start with one of the better acts, there should be some good stuff in about the middle bit and the show was naturally to end with the biggest and funniest blow-out any of the NCO student platoons could manage to come up with.

Seems okay to me so.

Historically, Canada tended to start slowly in these tourneys, so facing minnows early on worked to our advantage...BUT we don't tend to airlift in players at the eleventh hour either ( Ellis being a notable exception ) so I guess it's not that big a deal...

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Finland certainly wasn't seeded below USA.

Sweden actually lost to Czechia in the same matchup in group A, when Czechia was rested and Sweden was on a back-to-back.

Duh...they certainly were when the schedule was made...Yanks were last year's BRONZE MEDALISTS

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canada has anything but a solid defense, but they can contribute offensively. Finland's D looks pretty pedestrian, though I can't say I know much about them.

If Finland plays their butt off the forwards are a match for Canada.

Conclusion: Canada wins due to better( but still weak) D.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well they're not too wrong to be honest. We'd be going as underdogs against any of the other options and with a good advantage against Denmark/Switzerland, simple as that. It won't be "free" but it's an easier game that's a fact. We can still get our ***** handed to us but you know.
If Finland meets Sweden in the QF, Finland would be the favorite this year. No matter what we Finns tell ourselves.

So out of the three options still possible, our guys would be underdogs only vs. Russia.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
If Finland meets Sweden in the QF, Finland would be the favorite this year. No matter what we Finns tell ourselves.

So out of the three options still possible, our guys would be underdogs only vs. Russia.

and Russia always hates to play against us.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
I hope for Canada, need a nordic QF.

Well i hope it too. I think that if we lose today our way to final might be more easy.

I would take Sweden->Czech->Russia/Kanada 11time to 10 against Denmark->Russia-->Kanada

But yeah we are not like Swedish people... We always try to win all games in the tournaments. :naughty:

DrunkPerrinFan

Feb 21, 2014
Is seeding based on last year's results? I don't know, but I would have assumed it's based on iihf ranking, which has Finland at 4. and USA at 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Ranking

though I'd also assume that stuff like the need to place Finland in Saint Petersburg group also plays a part.

edit:

was supposed to edit the previous post, not make a new one. oh well.

Anyway, I agree that the scheduling couldn't have favoured Finland more if I had designed it myself. A day off before the game and a good tune up game against Slovakia.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Are these lines confirmed? I thought Koskinen will start for Finland. Nothing wrong with Lajunen but where is Rantanen?

Is Ellis not in for Canada? or the lineups just not updated.

Please note that before there's any rending of flesh or gnashing of teeth that the lines are projected (and by projected they're based on what the lines were in each team's last game). Lines will be updated when they're finalized and posted on the IIHF site. This is just a public service announcement because I don't want to cause the heart attack rates in either Canada or Finland to go up. :laugh:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Good luck to the Finns today! :handclap:

Lets have a good clean game on the ice, and in the forum boys and girls!

Haven't seen any Finnish games since the Americans, looking forward to seeing them play tooth and nail as always!

Hoping for some magic from McDavid. He's been looking more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad