GDT: Group B - May 17 - Canada (0) vs Finland (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selannne

Mar 9, 2015
It's hockey,so you never know. If Canada takes some stupid penalties,then Finland can win this game, But every player in finnish team needs to play their absolute best icehockey if they want to win this one! That's for sure!:popcorn:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
What I'm hoping for:

-Laine plays a good game and scores
-We find out whether Koskinen is to be trusted in playoff stage or not
-Offense putting up points
-Finnish D looking confident with not too many mistakes
-Not crumbling down under relentless forecheck and pressure

What I'm expecting for:
-Canada forwards skating circles around Finnish D (yes, it's not good enough - it ain't atrocious, but winning gold with this D would be a highway robbery)
-Laine getting shut down (but still creating some chances and looking ok though)
-Not overly humiliating but clear loss by 2 or 3 goals

The win would be nice, but I don't honestly put that much value on it. Yes, I'd love the easier opponent in the QF stage but I firmly believe that we can't beat Canada twice in the same tournament, so it is better to lose now and win them later in the finals.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
The way Finnish media is saying a win today is a "free pass" to the semis, I really hope Finland beats Canada and then struggles against Denmark/Switzerland.

Flick of the Switch

Apr 26, 2015
The way Finnish media is saying a win today is a "free pass" to the semis, I really hope Finland beats Canada and then struggles against Denmark/Switzerland.

Well they're not too wrong to be honest. We'd be going as underdogs against any of the other options and with a good advantage against Denmark/Switzerland, simple as that. It won't be "free" but it's an easier game that's a fact. We can still get our ***** handed to us but you know.

Don't think we'll have to worry about it though, expecting a loss tonight against Canada. 4-1 Canada, we get outskated and take penalties and Perry capitalizes. Antti 'Jesus' Pihlström with the 1 guarenteed goal.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yes, I'd love the easier opponent in the QF stage but I firmly believe that we can't beat Canada twice in the same tournament, so it is better to lose now and win them later in the finals.

Soo... let's put Laine to play defense for this one and get TSN to do some of our dirty work for the Final build-up?

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
What I'm hoping for:

-Laine plays a good game and scores
-We find out whether Koskinen is to be trusted in playoff stage or not
-Offense putting up points
-Finnish D looking confident with not too many mistakes
-Not crumbling down under relentless forecheck and pressure

What I'm expecting for:
-Canada forwards skating circles around Finnish D (yes, it's not good enough - it ain't atrocious, but winning gold with this D would be a highway robbery)
-Laine getting shut down (but still creating some chances and looking ok though)
-Not overly humiliating but clear loss by 2 or 3 goals

The win would be nice, but I don't honestly put that much value on it. Yes, I'd love the easier opponent in the QF stage but I firmly believe that we can't beat Canada twice in the same tournament, so it is better to lose now and win them later in the finals.

there is no way to win this game with Koskinen, so you can be sure that we don`t win 2 times against can in this tournament :laugh:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Koskinen gives up rebounds and nearly every goal he's let in has been a softie or due to bouncing pucks around. Saros has been extremely stable. The "experience" argument is so tired and I'd like to point those guys towards Pittburgh Penguins' stanley cup playoff run.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Canada is the favourite in this game.

If there is a little chance to win only with a goalie who doesn't allow bloopers respectively "easy" goals. Here I don't understand KJ too. Koskinen had already against Germany a blooper. Why KJ doesn't start with Saros in the goal?

The Finns have in this game nothing to lose, the second place is assured but with a strong goalie they may be can win the game and avoid Sweden in the quarterfinal. Denmark would be surely the easier opponent.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Could be Canada's toughest game of the tourney so far. I still think they win 4-3 but it should be a tough game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

If there is a little chance to win only with a goalie who doesn't allow bloopers respectively "easy" goals. Here I don't understand KJ too. Koskinen had already against Germany a blooper. Why KJ doesn't start with Saros in the goal?

The Finns have in this game nothing to lose, the second place is assured but with a strong goalie they may be can win the game and avoid Sweden in the quarterfinal. Denmark would be surely the easier opponent.

USA's Vatrano goal was soft, French goal was due to pouncing pucks... There's literally nothing Koskinen has shown that makes him the #1 goalie.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I hate the song, but I'd like to hear We Dem Boyz at least 6 times today.

Bring back Feeling Good by the Sheepdogs next year...

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, I don't think Finland is a huge favourite at least. Though considering how well we have played with far inferior teams, we maybe should be...

Kidding aside, it's always like this when we face Canada: many Finnish fans are already like days and weeks beforehand hanging their heads in shame - we will be so humiliated, it will be like 60-0, for God's sakes it's KUKKONEN there etc. etc.

Year after year they manage to forget that we do compensate with tight team defence, disciplined and tough play, good goalies and fast skating forwards. And this year, on top of those traditional strengths we even have managed to get some top talent to our team.

Believe me, it will be a tight game, and a Finnish victory would be so not a surprise.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's one game.

Canada is by far the favorite, will likely dominate the play but you never know what the final score will be.

Jul 1, 2012
I don't care about a "free pass to the semis". It's champions or bust this year. Finland has to be able to beat sweden/russia anyway if they want to be champions.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere

I disagree with this.
Sweden hasn't shown too much in this tournament.
I would think that the danes are hungry as ever and will fight their hearts out.
They have a pretty solid team, and couple of dangerous forwards, like Ehlers. Won't be easy game against them for Finland/Canada imo.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So is that "We Dem Boyz" the goal song for Canada or what did I miss?

Yes. Every time that autotuned voice and beat. It's so annoying. I wish there was variety. I don't care if it's country or classical or rock or a different rap song. Just shake things up (during the tournament and during a game). Please IIHF. Please.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

ofc it's not 100% absolute free pass or so, but why lie and pretend it's not a free pass in comparison to facing russia or sweden?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I'm really bummed out about Saros not starting. glad we get to see Rantanen! albeit not the best line for him to play in

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

You answered your own question. Koskinen has been given the #1 status so it is good to put him in that spot now and see what happens. If he plays a good game with no softies and max 2-3 GA, he may be trusted again in the playoffs. If he melts and lets in five or so, KJ can throw him off his #1 throne and Saros will start in the playoffs.

It's not incomprehensible at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad