GDT: Group A • Dec. 26 • Switzerland 0, Russia 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
"The fact that Swiss have zero goals is because zero has a name - Vasilevsky." :yo:

I don't want to go into much detail, but yeah he's Russian and he's went to the WJC since late 90-s and I think he knows what he's talking about. Both of the TVs in his room weren't working, there was no telephone either and the technician acted as if it was supposed to be that way. Rozanov was laughing about it, but said that both Swiss and Swedish crews were literally mad.

Oh, okay. He's probably exaggerating to make an interesting story. So why does his slamming the organizers make you happy again? Seems kind of rude, that's all. A lot of people work really hard to make the tournament run as well as possible. It's not their fault the TVs don't work.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Oh, okay. He's probably exaggerating to make an interesting story. So why does his slamming the organizers make you happy again? Seems kind of rude, that's all. A lot of people work really hard to make the tournament run as well as possible. It's not their fault the TVs don't work.
Because it's funny to me. And the fact that teams in Group A have to practice at a different ice hall (a colder one), don't have a real dress room in the Saddledome and have to bring their stuff by bus every day back and forth also seems funny to me. You think when Team Canada and Canadian media come over they will have the same conditions? Well, I will apologize for my rude behaviour if they do.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Man, the Swiss were good enough to win, oh well, they got a shot against Sweden if they play that well(as long as then can start potting some goals), and in the real games too, when it really counts, I got a good feeling about the Swiss this year, hoping for a medal

JERMIC

Dec 26, 2010
The swiss have been brutal in the pre tournament games, i don't think they will be as competitive this year without decent goaltending. Russia is going to light them up good, and I put a little wager on this game to make it interesting. I got Russia at 2.05 times my money to beat the swiss by 4 goals or more, that seems like the easiest money I've ever seen available on a betting website. Russia is going to light these guys up in a big way if Canada and the USA have already done so in pre tournament games.

:sarcasm:

How much did you lost ?

40 saves for Vasilevski... :shakehead!

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
This is interesting. When was the last time Latvia hosted a tournament like this? Oh yeah, that's right...never.

Makes it easy to escape criticism when you don't actually have to do anything I guess.

Never? The 2006 Worlds ring a bell? And several Division 1 world juniors since then (which granted, are on a smaller scale). The highest attended U18 championships ever were also held in Latvia.

But I guess it's easy to be try and post snarky comments when you don't know what you're talking about.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I don't post much around here even though I do read the forum on a regular basis and I must add this guy (fly4apuckguy) has written quite a few dubious posts in recent days. :thumbd:

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
I just got back from the game. Any hockey fan must love Canada - more than 15,000 fans came to see the game, majority had Canada's jerseys. This is just a tremendous support for hockey, I can't imagine how thrilled some of these players are to play in from of such huge crowds.

The game itself had no flow, just like Rus-USA game in Red Deer. Both teams had a large amount of turnovers, I am more than sure all teams will improve in that department. I am not sure how much of a problem it is but the ice in COP and in Saddledome are very different. Saddledome has soft ice compared to COP Winsport facility. Russians skated at COP before noon and they were flying, when the first period started you can see the skating was off.

Kuznetsov is a man among the boys, he just dominates. I believe he is just tuning his game, he will get much much better. His linemates are often not on the same page with him.

Yakupov is talented, but you can feel that all this pressure with the draft and rankings is not helping, he overdoes things a lot, the kid just needs to relax, play a little simpler game and things will come.

Gusev showed in that he has unique offensive talent, he should improve.

Vasilevsky was great, but I thought the number of saves was a little flattering to him, a lot of the shots were simple shots, Swiss were throwing the puck every time they could. This shows that majority of teams outside of Russian team have the approach to throw as many pucks at the net and at times it is not very effective.

Russian defense was at times atrocious but I believe things will get better after they get several games under their belt.

Swiss team was hard working and Bertschi was great but the whole team is a little challenged offensively. The can outwork teams but they are thin on talent.

All in all, it was a weird game. I am more than sure that Bragin will tighten the defense and probably shuffle the lines since I do not think the offinsive lines worked out the way the coach wanted.

Last edited:

BLBarmada

The Swiss fired 40 shots against the Russians ?

The Swiss fired 40 shots ?

Why wasn't Makarov playing ?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Swiss fired 40 shots against the Russians ?

The Swiss fired 40 shots ?

Why wasn't Makarov playing ?

the swiss had 40 shots and didn't score, the coach knew something we didn't, that's why, hard to fault that choice when the goalie doesn't let in a goal

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Russia has a good crop of forwards just need to get them all to be in sync. Defenders played poorly but to be honest it is better than what we have seen in some of the past few years. Still as the Russian commentator said those mistakes in Defense will be punished by the likes of Canada.

The Ice seemed ****.

Russian Goalie did a solid job but is receiving a lot of credit, not many Swiss shots were all that dangerous.

Switzerland had a few good chances, more than the Russians who also missed a few easy ones. Score could have easily been 4-3 or 5-3 to the Russians. I like this Swiss team hopefully they put away those chances as they can as usual cause a lot of trouble.

Fulcrum

This was an easy game for the Russians, from the point of vew that they were never scored on. They were never behind, or under serious pressure to score- which didn't really test their Character. The only thing we saw is that they played to the very end, with Kuznetsov hitting the post for example

All the other points- defense, offense, goaltending- I think it's too early to draw conclusions. I've seen teams starting the tournament great only to stumble later, or vice versa.

Remember the SSS where Kostenko had a shutout and the rest of the games the goaltending was horrible...

Anyway, one thing we can say is the effort was their and they played to the last minute, that's a good sign.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
A silly, elementary question but I don't know the answer....can somebody please fill me in: Why wasn't Gusev drafted?

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Just finished watching the game, was pretty disappointed by the way russia played. The Swiss deserved at least 3 goals this game, and a more effective team would have scored more. You could see the potential in the Russians though, but they should just play more simple. Most scoring chances came of the rush and they were unable to maintain pressure for a longer period. They were outshot this game and outchanced 17-9 in the middle of the third (TSN statistics), pretty impressive by the swiss though.

The group is pretty much decided now i think, Switzerland, Russia and Sweden are locks imo to reach the quarters at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad