Speculation: Grin and Bear It-Canucks RHD Issues May Be Resolved

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
With the Canucks already using LTIR putting Soucy there doesn't free up cap for a signing unless he's gone for the season (which he isnt)

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Bear’s timeline was always December.

So best case, he gets signed and plays in a couple weeks.

So unfortunately, it’s either a trade or AHL reliance until then.

Reactions: PuckG and Vector

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Pretty sure the rules are that Bear needs to be signed by Dec 1st or he would have to clear league wide waivers after he is signed by any team.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I skate with my Canucks jersey or my Vegas jersey often, are they going to sign me too?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Canucks Defence When Healthy.

Hughes Hronek
Cole Bear
Soucy Myers (inexplicably improved)

Not bad.
1700355296880.png

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Guys. Do we remember how bad he was last year, after the initial games? There’s a reason they didn’t sign him.

Right now, we are seeing generational play from Quinn. That makes things look a lot better than they actually are. If they refuse to play Hronek in the position they traded for him to play, they need another very good dman to drive that second pairing instead, or they got no shot to win playoff rounds.

Obviously before they make a big move, they’ll have to split Hughes and Hronek up, to see what they actually have.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd rather spend cap on Bear than spend assets on someone at that level.

Bear and Myers are pretty much bottom pairing D with fewer minutes, but Hronek will be eating a lot of the minutes on that side. On the left, Cole and Soucy getting ~17 minutes a night each is no trouble if Hughes can do 22+. I'd imagine one way or another, our two top guys will be eating a plurality of minutes, so we don't need another 20+ a night guy.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Latest update from Dhaliwal, which means it comes directly from Bear’s agent, is that Bear is due to play games later in December. He’s been skating and rehabbing in Kelowna this whole time. He’ll still have his various Canucks gear from last season.

It’s expected they’ll sign him, though.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Guys. Do we remember how bad he was last year, after the initial games? There’s a reason they didn’t sign him.

Right now, we are seeing generational play from Quinn. That makes things look a lot better than they actually are. If they refuse to play Hronek in the position they traded for him to play, they need another very good dman to drive that second pairing instead, or they got no shot to win playoff rounds.

Obviously before they make a big move, they’ll have to split Hughes and Hronek up, to see what they actually have.
His play regressed after a pretty serious facial injury IIRC. That might be what you're remembering. He looked really quite solid for a good portion of the year before that.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'd rather spend cap on Bear than spend assets on someone at that level.

Bear and Myers are pretty much bottom pairing D with fewer minutes, but Hronek will be eating a lot of the minutes on that side. On the left, Cole and Soucy getting ~17 minutes a night each is no trouble if Hughes can do 22+. I'd imagine one way or another, our two top guys will be eating a plurality of minutes, so we don't need another 20+ a night guy.
Cap? What cap?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Buddy if that's the workout video you're sending GMs you got to do better. Like a lot better.

It makes me sad for all the rest of you people on the internet that a Ethan Bear sighting in West Kelowna thread exists. I give the title pun a 2.5/10 star rating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad