Rumor: Grigorenko to the KHL...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He's not getting loaned. If he chose to go to the KHL it's his choice not the Sabres. As is the decision to come back. He would determine when or even if it happens. In theory he could just stay there. As per dotcommunism's previous post, as long as the Sabres qualify him every year they own his rights until 2021.

Minor detail: the team doesn't have to qualify him every year. After the first QO they hold his RFA rights until he's eligible to become a UFA.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
No, no it's not.

If Darcy didn't completely bungle the process from day 1, Grigo's ELC doesn't expire and he can be sent down to the AHL with no issues at all.

It's a reminder of what happens when a team rushes a prospect who quite obviously isn't ready.

You act like this is an isolated case.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
We've been over it in multiple threads, it's about as frequent as NCAA players refusing to sign

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Though I want to trust McKenzie, why would getting a two-way deal be such a sticking point? There's absolutely zero chance he plays in the AHL next year whether he's with this organization or another. He'd never be able to get through waivers.

I think he's going to be back next year on a low money, one year (and of course one way) deal. If he's jerked around next year, I could see Russia being a possibility next offseason. I don't think there's really any substance to this story, though. I still believe in Grigorenko.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Though I want to trust McKenzie, why would getting a two-way deal be such a sticking point? There's absolutely zero chance he plays in the AHL next year whether he's with this organization or another. He'd never be able to get through waivers.

I think he's going to be back next year on a low money, one year (and of course one way) deal. If he's jerked around next year, I could see Russia being a possibility next offseason. I don't think there's really any substance to this story, though. I still believe in Grigorenko.

I must disagree on this point. I certainly don't think that he'll start the year in the AHL, but if he is just absolutely terrible in the NHL to start the season (regardless of what team he's with), it's possible that he could end up clearing waivers at some point (even if he bounces around a few times between teams) and wind up in the AHL.

After all, if there were absolutely zero chance that he plays in the AHL next year, what possible reason would there be to be reluctant to offer him a one-way contract?

It is possible that Grigorenko could end up in the AHL at some point next season, if he starts the season off terribly or suffers a significant injury during the offseason that makes teams reluctant to claim him on waivers (after he's healthy, of course). It makes sense for Grigorenko to be worried about these scenarios, even if they're unlikely, since it's him that stands to lose out here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@SabresProspects: 25's agent has been involved in KHL moves for Kovalchuk, Babchuk, Radulov and others. $ talks. Something to consider.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if he stays here, and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. There's plenty of factors that could push him to sign a huge KHL deal, and plenty that may convince him not to.

All that being said, I don't think the Sabres should do anything different. If they think he's part of their future, then qualify him and offer up a deal in line with what you think is reasonable. If they want to negotiate from there, that's cool. If they want to take a huge KHL deal instead, then that's cool too.

He's not good enough in my opinion to jump through all kinds of hoops to convince him to stay. Even if they did, I'd personally prefer players who want to be here and part of this over players that had to be convinced, maybe even begrudgingly so.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
@SabresProspects: 25's agent has been involved in KHL moves for Kovalchuk, Babchuk, Radulov and others. $ talks. Something to consider.

Probably also worth considering the financial variability in KHL deals with the Russian economy and political situation. In North America, he won't have to be concerned with his contract not being paid appropriately. Back home, that's very much a non-zero possibility.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Grigorenko's KHL rights are held by CSKA Moscow. I don't think bankruptcy/non-payment are really issues there.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
The only thing I'd worry about is him staying there. As far as spending a season or two over there to develop? That would be just fine

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if he stays here, and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. There's plenty of factors that could push him to sign a huge KHL deal, and plenty that may convince him not to.

How would you feel if Grigorenko decided to quit playing hockey altogether, and make an attempt at being a pro wrestler instead ?

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
So outside of he has an agent that has negotiated deals for some guys who went to the KHL...what is making this a thing? Just that it 'makes sense'?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If he goes and doesn't come back is there any kind of draft pick compensation? Like we get an extra 1st rounder at 31st overall or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad