Rumor: Gretzky to join the team in official role

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Only in Oil Country would the greatest player of all time joining the organization be a bad thing.

Keep that loser far, far away from McDavid.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Why do you have to attack people with every post?

You just made the case for why another member of the OBC is not a good idea.

What in Gretzky's management career makes people thing he would provide good info?

Don't attack with every post lol just respond to negative people who have nothing but negative stuff to say. And quite frankly that last poster that i said had issues deserved that response.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You just made the case for why another member of the OBC is not a good idea.

What in Gretzky's management career makes people thing he would provide good info?
I doubt it happens again. The Reinhart trade was a couple months into Chia's tenure here and looks horrible. There's a reason he let Howson leave and hired someone (Keith Gretzky) he trusts and has had a working relationship for the Assistant GM position this past summer, essentially pushing everyone down a step.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Phoenix Coyotes and 2006 Olympic team might disagree with you.

Yup Gretzky sucks I agree. Keep him far away. Everything he touches turns to mush.

And man those Coyotes are just absolutely ripping it up since that one fluke trip to the Conf. Finals. I can't believe how successful that organization is.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I doubt it happens again. The Reinhart trade was a couple months into Chia's tenure here and looks horrible. There's a reason he let Howson leave and hired someone (Keith Gretzky) he trusts and has had a working relationship for the Assistant GM position this past summer, essentially pushing everyone down a step.

I certainly hope you are right it never happens again.

You allude to the big question. What is the pecking order now?

Hopefully:

Chiarelli
K Gretzky
W Gretzky

MacT

KLowe

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Phoenix Coyotes and 2006 Olympic team might disagree with you.

You know that Gretz's role with Phoenix was totally different than it will be here, right?

CP is having a field day with this announcement. In fact, the site the last few hours is dominated by Oilers stuff.

As for Chia not having autonomy, I've had business dealings with OEG and have talked to Bob Black and Bob Nicolson about this. The notion that Chia doesn't have control is pure fiction.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Interesting. I never saw this thread but posted in the GDT about my vcash # being lucky and not using it this year.

Coincidence? I think not.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You know that Gretz's role with Phoenix was totally different than it will be here, right?

CP is having a field day with this announcement. In fact, the site the last few hours is dominated by Oilers stuff.

As for Chia not having autonomy, I've had business dealings with OEG and have talked to Bob Black and Bob Nicolson about this. The notion that Chia doesn't have control is pure fiction.

Does anyone actually know what Gretzky's role here will be?

Maybe the two Bob's told you in your business dealings.

Look through the posts. If he's just a pr type guy/talk to prospective players about the glory days that's great.

If it's anything remotely close to hockey ops? Then it's a bad thing.

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
I love Gretkzy and hope that he does not become a head coach and move his way up the ladder like MacT did, it will tarnish his name in Edmonton. Katz should just hire the OBC as his personal praetorian guard with all this fanboy love he has for them offering them premier positions in the organizations.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I love Gretkzy and hope that he does not become a head coach and move his way up the ladder like MacT did, it will tarnish his name in Edmonton. Katz should just hire the OBC as his personal praetorian guard with all this fanboy love he has for them offering them premier paying positions without any actual say in hockey operations in the organizations.

ftfy

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I certainly hope you are right it never happens again.

You allude to the big question. What is the pecking order now?

Hopefully:

Chiarelli
K Gretzky
W Gretzky

MacT

KLowe
Hey I'm with you, if it were up to me Lowe and MacTavish would have been fired years ago, or at least pushed as far away from hockey decisions as possible if Katz wants them to stay. I really do think Chiarelli's trust in their opinions evaporated quickly and the Reinhart trade was one of the main reasons, which is why he talked Keith in to leaving the Bruins and coming here.

Nicholson
Chiarelli
K Gretzky
OBC

As long as Chiarelli and Nicholson stay at the top that's fine.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The guy lives in California and I guarantee he is not spending his entire winter in Edmonton.

Whatever role he has will be minor.

I'm fine with him being around the team.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The guy lives in California and I guarantee he is not spending his entire winter in Edmonton.

Whatever role he has will be minor.

I'm fine with him being around the team.

This is my take on it too. I can't see him being up here full time. I am wondering though, with the farm team down in Bakersfield now, if he will have some kind of role in prospect development. I think he could make a positive contribution with the kids.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I doubt Gretz will doing anything. Gretz being VP is only a title and only sole purpose is to drive more interests and money to the Oilers.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Katz finally added the great one to his collection. Here's to hoping the next step to Katz's master plan doesn't involve some kind of human taxidermy. At least not with Gretzky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad