Greiss: Pens arena ‘pretty dead’

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
“It was fun to play (here), especially coming from Pittsburgh,” he said to Islanders Insights. “It’s pretty dead there.”

Part of the problem may be that the Penguins have priced out the average fan. The average ticket price at Consol Energy Center last season was $73.59, a more than 100% increase over the last 10 years. (Graphic courtesy Statista.)

Interesting to actually have an ex-player come out and say something about the atmosphere at Consol. There are many factors playing into the decreasing sound. One was touched on in the article, but I really do believe that the new building eats up sound, and doesn't resonate it. There's nothing we can really do about that though.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/greiss-pens-arena-pretty-dead/28239

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Pens fans have been saying this for awhile. Games are full of corporate people and casual fans that just come to the game because it's something to do. When I've gone to games I've noticed that most of the fans that I sit near really aren't very big hockey fans.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its been that way since the early 90's. The score can be 2-1 and people will still leave with 5 mins left.

The Pens seem to flat line a lot too. They need a Max or Stu Barnes type to give the team and building some buzz. Sure it would be great to get a nasty team again but at least bring in some energy.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Never been to the CEC but all I ever read is about how sterile it is and that it absorbs sound. Doesn't sound like a very fun place to watch a hockey game.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Not sure what it is, but I'm extremely quiet when I go to games at the CEC. However, when I go to Erie Otters home games my friends and I are fairly boisterous. Could be alcohol consumption, I suppose.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Never been to the CEC but all I ever read is about how sterile it is and that it absorbs sound. Doesn't sound like a very fun place to watch a hockey game.
IMO the CEC is pretty damn awesome... its the fans. Plus this team doesn't buzz. The third and 4th line make you yawn.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
IMO the CEC is pretty damn awesome... its the fans. Plus this team doesn't buzz. The third and 4th line make you yawn.

And more often than not, the team goes through extended lulls in play. When something good happens, people get loud. The team just doesn't give them much to cheer for a lot of the time.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

We have at team down here in Pensacola called the "Ice Flyers" they play in the "Hangar". Its a theme since the its the home of the Blue Angels. Its the only hockey I get to go and see live thats nearby. Its has a great atmosphere for being so far in the South. They even chant 'Lets go Flyers"! As you can guess I just can't bring myself to utter those words. :laugh:

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
The excitement of a first-year arena will help crowd response. The Isles fans will have a thread a few years from now saying how they yearn for the return of Nassau and how loud it was.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's a spectator event more than an experience. Ill yell out "move your feet, 14". And a woman with her 10 year old will give me a mean look. I only go now if my friend gets me in for free. Not worth the money.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
“It’s pretty dead there.â€

For you, oh ye of little saves.

img-thing

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The excitement of a first-year arena will help crowd response. The Isles fans will have a thread a few years from now saying how they yearn for the return of Nassau and how loud it was.

They are already complaining about sight lines, and from the pics I have seen I can't say I blame them.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
We all meet up to smoke weed before the game, and everyone's too paranoid to get crazy. Been a habit since the 90s.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
They have definitely hit the ceiling on the ticket prices. You are lucky to get face value for tickets now. Just look at ticket exchange, pretty much all of the upper bowl tickets are set at or below face value.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's just not something Penguins fans have ever been known for. I'm pretty stoic at games too. I'll cheer for goals and give an audible shout for big hits or key saves but I don't go nuts. I'm an adult.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
Between the horrible anthem and ungodly slow play I could see why... Nah- that crowd has been dead for years. It was probably dead even when I was a mini-version of myself but I was too little to realize the decay.

Wooooooo!

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's just not something Penguins fans have ever been known for. I'm pretty stoic at games too. I'll cheer for goals and give an audible shout for big hits or key saves but I don't go nuts. I'm an adult.

Same here, I'm there to watch the game, not make a spectacle of myself.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Against Toronto I will be center ice, row 7 behind the benches. I will not be quiet. Too rare of an occasion.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm the same way. Most of the time I'm focused on the game watching the play develop to the point where I don't say much. When something big/exciting happens (like you said, big save, goals, great pk effort, etc) I'll cheer. I don't get randomly loud for no reason.

Our seats last year were in front of two HORRIBLY annoying and loud older ladies that would scream with the most obnoxious voices at the stupidest times. If you are in the end that they shoot twice you will have for sure heard them at some point. I've heard them scream while they were cleaning the ice several times. The entire section hates them and it actually made us move our seats for this season because it was that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad