Greatest Chicago Blackhawk - #3

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Keith, Kane, and Toews are all interchangeable to me. They all have a Smythe, and they all contribute equally in their own way to the Hawks success. IMHO ranking one higher than the other is due to such minuscule personal preference that no order would bother me as a fan

That's why I did go with the first of them to win the Smythe

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
No Grimson, and Probert was more of a Wing than a 'hawk.

Had to go with Belfour, even though Secord was close.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
savard

Kane has a ways to go to catch him, but I think he will.

I'm curious why you think this. Savard never won a Cup with the Hawks, and has 9 All Star Selections

Kane (my vote), is 27 and already has:
3 Stanley Cups
1 Calder
5x All Star
1 Conn Smythe
1 Art Ross
1 Ted Lindsay
1 Hart

Keith (32) has:
5 All Star Selections
3 - Norris
1 - Conn Smythe
3 - Stanley Cups
2 - Olympic Golds

Toews (28) has -
3x Stanley Cup Captain
5x All-Star
1 - Conn Symthe
2 - Olympic Gold Medal
1 - Selke Trophy
1 - Mark Messier Leadership Award
Plus he is the 2nd youngest player to win the Conn Symthe (22), but the youngest captain to do so. Youngest person to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club, and was named captain of the Hawks after only 64 games in what is now clearly the greatest period in Blackhawks hockey.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Tough one. Voted Hall. Keith, Toews and Kane are my next three votes. Chelios was great but he left when he did for where he did and that absoutely tarnishes his luster.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'm curious why you think this. Savard never won a Cup with the Hawks, and has 9 All Star Selections

Kane (my vote), is 27 and already has:
3 Stanley Cups
1 Calder
5x All Star
1 Conn Smythe
1 Art Ross
1 Ted Lindsay
1 Hart

Keith (32) has:
5 All Star Selections
3 - Norris
1 - Conn Smythe
3 - Stanley Cups
2 - Olympic Golds

Toews (28) has -
3x Stanley Cup Captain
5x All-Star
1 - Conn Symthe
2 - Olympic Gold Medal
1 - Selke Trophy
1 - Mark Messier Leadership Award
Plus he is the 2nd youngest player to win the Conn Symthe (22), but the youngest captain to do so. Youngest person to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club, and was named captain of the Hawks after only 64 games in what is now clearly the greatest period in Blackhawks hockey.

Sorry, but all star games don't count. First or second team NHL all star (end of year) do count. From Hockey Reference:

Toews: 2013 2nd team all star
Kane: 2010 and 2016 1st team all star
Keith: 2010 and 2014 1st team all star
Savard: 1983 2nd team all star

Also, just noticed...Keith has only two Norris trophies.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I think younger voters owe it to themselves to take this opportunity to do some research on the Hawks players that played their careers before most of the board was born, before voting.

Hockey Reference is always interesting, and some of players mentioned are in the HHOF. And HFBoards own History of Hockey Forum has many excellent threads. This thread is an excellent resource and starting point. Beware, you can spend hours reading before you know it.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I think younger voters owe it to themselves to take this opportunity to do some research on the Hawks players that played their careers before most of the board was born, before voting.

Hockey Reference is always interesting, and some of players mentioned are in the HHOF. And HFBoards own History of Hockey Forum has many excellent threads. This thread is an excellent resource and starting point. Beware, you can spend hours reading before you know it.

Note how high Gardiner is on the provided list.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
speaking of that, I went with Pierre Pilote. If Hull and Mikta are still utop I'm not sure the same overtaken is up for Pilote or Hall essentially yet.

Maybe it's less comparable but as great as Kane or Keith are, there isn't as a strong comparable that they were de facto best for multiple seasons in a period of time at their positions so easily. Keith does tingle on that element and I could go for him for all he does postseason why with his Smythe too but he'd just be verging on passing Pilotte when his career is over for sure. Pilote had 3 straight norris winning years and a 6 year streak around that being 2nd or 1st in voting, before Orr came into the league and shifted defensemen to the new levels.

bayshoni

Jul 10, 2014
Glenn Hall.

502 consecutive games played (Unbreakable for a goalie, like Cy Young 511 wins).
Calder
Conn Smythe (Stanley Cup 1961)
Vezina (3)
First team all star (7), Second team all star (4)
Career wins (9th)
Career shutouts (4th)
Hart voting (3,4,4,5,5,6,6,8)

It's complete voting ignorance that Denis Savard has more votes than Hall.

Amen.

But that's right in line with most of the discussions around here.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Glenn Hall.

502 consecutive games played (Unbreakable for a goalie, like Cy Young 511 wins).
Calder
Conn Smythe (Stanley Cup 1961)
Vezina (3)
First team all star (7), Second team all star (4)
Career wins (9th)
Career shutouts (4th)
Hart voting (3,4,4,5,5,6,6,8)

It's complete voting ignorance that Denis Savard has more votes than Hall.

I was unaware of that. :amazed:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Note how high Gardiner is on the provided list.

Yes

speaking of that, I went with Pierre Pilote. If Hull and Mikta are still utop I'm not sure the same overtaken is up for Pilote or Hall essentially yet.

Maybe it's less comparable but as great as Kane or Keith are, there isn't as a strong comparable that they were de facto best for multiple seasons in a period of time at their positions so easily. Keith does tingle on that element and I could go for him for all he does postseason why with his Smythe too but he'd just be verging on passing Pilotte when his career is over for sure. Pilote had 3 straight norris winning years and a 6 year streak around that being 2nd or 1st in voting, before Orr came into the league and shifted defensemen to the new levels.

...And yes. Both with a huge body of work earned over a whole career.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Pierre Pilote is criminally underrated. Has been for a long time.

With that said, I'd probably pick Savard or Hall over him as of right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad