Great players you watched that won't be remembered much as time wears on

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Marek Svatos scored 32 goals in 61 games (43 goal pace) as a rookie for the Avs while playing under 14 minutes a game to tie Joe Sakic for the team lead in goals (and Joe played 82 games).

Then he fractured his right shoulder in a game against Dallas in March. The next year it was groin issues. The next year, he was leading the team in goals again, only to tear his ACL. The next year it was a broken hand. Then more groin and shoulder issues the next year, and his career was essentially over. And, after he unfortunately died of a drug overdose in 2016, it was also confirmed that he was suffering from CTE as well.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I remember seeing Bertuzzi with the puck, one hand on the stick, push an opposing player with his other hand. The opposing player fell into another player and they both fell over while Bert skated away with the puck. Was one of the most incredible plays I’ve seen

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Lots of guys from the Hawks core were very good to great but don’t have much formal recognition or individual hardware. Patrick Sharp, Niklas Hjlamarsson, and Corey Crawford in particular.
Sharp honestly is the biggest "wait he was good for HOW LONG?" kind of player

its absurd how good he was even after leaving the Hawks for the Stars.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
So, so many.

But a couple of favourites would be Andy McDonald and Lubomir Visnovsky.

As for non Ducks players I wanna mention Martin Erat also, especially as his career has been reduced to "bad player who was traded for Filip Forsberg" by newer fans, when Erat actually was a good and underrated player for a long time in the league.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lots of guys from the Hawks core were very good to great but don’t have much formal recognition or individual hardware. Patrick Sharp, Niklas Hjlamarsson, and Corey Crawford in particular.

Brian Campbell was so good and so important for the ascension of the Blackhawks.

So many dmen got rich playing next to him, and despite always having great underlying stats, he got stuck with the BS eye-test evaluation that he was 'all offense' and 'bad defensively'.

Probably the most underrated dman of his generation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Derek Roy had an 80 point season and then just faded away. Samsonov was very good also. I dont think he'll be forgotten as much but he did win a calder.

He got hurt falling into the boards due to a collision caused by Kulikov during Kulikov’s first stay in Florida. The injury took away much of Roy’s explosiveness and he was never able to get back to the pre injury production.

Reactions: dire wolf

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Geoff Sanderson. 700 points, 355 goals, 1,100 games in a career spanning from 1990-2008, and he put up numbers playing on some truly awful teams.
Good faceoff guy and fast skater too. His stick looked like a kid's toy. Most successful NHL player from NW territories. I watched him a lot as a Whaler, he was my favorite

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Brian Propp
Steve Larmer
Valeri Kamensky
Slava Kozlov
Arturs Irbe
Brian Rolston
Saku Koivu
Steve Thomas
Pat Verbeek
Ziggy Palffy
Pavol Demitra
Mike Peca
John Madden
Tony Amonte

All guys that were terrific players at one time or another. They were instrumental to their teams' successes in their era.
I'm gonna kick my hat in for Dave Langevin to add. Great at what he did. Underappreciated as time as gone by. Stay at home defenseman supreme, shot blocker extraordinaire

Reactions: chaz4hockey

WreckedUm

Damn near killed ‘em
Nov 25, 2018
Iggy appeared on a local news station and no one recognized him even after leaving the organization a few years prior.

Sweeny was a pretty solid D pairing with Bourque since assuming the GM position.

The Russian 5 was fun to watch, Fedorov is easily memorable but the cast around him was great too.

Reactions: Tofveve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad