GDT: Great Britain vs Sweden

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Should have left the EIHL sooner and played in a top league. He was/is capable of it. Maybe the next generation will try to be more open to playing abroad if they merit it and the chances present themselves.
Saying that, here's hoping that GB playing at this level and players getting exposure will make more countries willing to take British players as well. It's a hard sell when they were playing at Div1B

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Crazier things have happened.

Remember when Portugal barely advanced from their group with Austria, Hungary and Iceland in 2016? And yet still won the EC? (I know lucky 3rd place advancement) but still.

I will be back with a laugh if Sweden end up winning anyway.
Plenty of stranger things have happened in this tournament in recent years. I don’t see us getting through the group though, I am that pessimistic on this team. Highly unlikely that we get the win against Russia.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Should have left the EIHL sooner and played in a top league. He was/is capable of it. Maybe the next generation will try to be more open to playing abroad if they merit it and the chances present themselves.
He has got the perfect goalie age, he still has 4-5 years on top left in him.

I would give him a chance in the AHL for sure, just to see how he handles smaller ice, and more speed.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What exactly are the points you are trying to make ? Are you bored or being silly ? Or just making a fool of yourself with the nonsense you are posting.
Correct, I'm just being very silly and I'm very bored, yes. But still, he has the number 75 in his neck and I wondered why and put a spin on it.
Do a bit of reading before making such outlandish comments.

Firstly, the GB sponsor chose to run pink patches this year as part of efforts to raise awareness/funds for breast cancer charities. The team ran a big raffle of a set of warm-up jerseys with the funds going to breast cancer charities.

And they picked Myers because it was his 100th game in a GB jersey today. That's why he was named the captain instead of Phillips.
I don't care. It still looks ridiculous and ruins an otherwise quite good looking British jersey. And for the record, prostate cancer is a much bigger issue than breast cancer. Ever heard of any effort to raise awareness of that, have you? Nope. Par for the course. Ever heard of other breast cancer awareness campaigns? Dozens upon dozens, everywhere. What demographic is watching hockey?

Second of all, I couldn't care less if Myers played his 100th game, he was rather invisible. A participation award, great. Bowns deserved that price, since he actually was the best British player on the ice by far. If the Brits want to give Myers an award, you do that as a side price in the ending ceremony.

Didn't watch this game. Tell me I didn't missed anything, didn't waste my 2 hours cursing at 3 coins.
You missed absolutely nothing, although Kempe's one goal was rather pretty. You can see that in the highlights instead.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Plenty of stranger things have happened in this tournament in recent years. I don’t see us getting through the group though, I am that pessimistic on this team. Highly unlikely that we get the win against Russia.
Denmark will loose all 3 games left for sure - Super weak offensively and only line 1 has produced.

So you can count DK out of the teams that u need to advance past.

I think you will find a way to beat Russia, and I still think you will advance. Then again, I am not Swedish, and probably less pessimistic.

my own two teams have given me enough to be pissed about.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Denmark will loose all 3 games left for sure - Super weak offensively and only line 1 has produced.

I think you will find a way to beat Russia, and I still think you will advance. Then again, I am not Swedish, and probably less pessimistic.

Denmark beating Slovakia absolutely isn’t unlikely and that would probably make qualifying easier for us. They aren’t particularly suited to playing a team as structured as Denmark.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark beating Slovakia absolutely isn’t unlikely and that would probably make qualifying easier for us. They aren’t particularly suited to playing a team as structured as Denmark.
They are structured and they have been somewhat solid on D, but going forward they are meh at best this year.

But again, nothing is set in stone in this years wc, such a weird tourney.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

There's a reason Swedish fans - and I - are being particulary grumpy and angry. Despite our own Corona fiasco, beating Russia will be a tough stretch for this team. Heck, our biggest opponents are ourselves. Our leadership in the organization is inept, the coach very inexperienced and there's very little trust in him. Add to that our best player (Lundkvist) and our best forward (Klingberg) got injured. Because of course exactly those two had to be injured. Not some other irrelevant bums, of course.

Lundkvist was basically the only player on this team giving any sort of hope so far and now he's gone. Without him the Swedish blueline is - by Swedish standards - utter garbage. And that's a coaching choice. And the defensemen are extremely important in Swedish hockey.

The last time Sweden played this bad was in 1937. When Sweden loses against Belarus and Denmark, you can be sure the pitchforks will be out. Sure, they crushed Switzerland, but then collapsed entirely against the Czechs. I just don't see this team doing something particulary well this tournament. They're so uneven in their game. They can play really well or surprisingly shitty.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
There's a reason Swedish fans - and I - are being particulary grumpy and angry. Despite our own Corona fiasco, beating Russia will be a tough stretch for this team. Heck, our biggest opponents are ourselves. Our leadership in the organization is inept, the coach very inexperienced and there's very little trust in him. Add to that our best player (Lundkvist) and our best forward (Klingberg) got injured. Because of course exactly those two had to be injured. Not some other irrelevant bums, of course.

Lundkvist was basically the only player on this team giving any sort of hope so far and now he's gone. Without him the Swedish blueline is - by Swedish standards - utter garbage. And that's a coaching choice. And the defensemen are extremely important in Swedish hockey.

The last time Sweden played this bad was in 1937. When Sweden loses against Belarus and Denmark, you can be sure the pitchforks will be out. Sure, they crushed Switzerland, but then collapsed entirely against the Czechs. I just don't see this team doing something particulary well this tournament. They're so uneven in their game. They can play really well or surprisingly shitty.
For sure - But that is why this tourney will never get the respect it deserves.

The structure will never allow for best on best hockey like the SC or OG, that is why I personally don’t care how Canada does in the WC - Denmark yes, as it is still big for a team like DK - But when it comes to Canada, I care about the OG.

Don’t sweat it man, you are missing lots of key players - So is Denmark, and for Denmark it could mean relegation when they miss players.

At least my team is still in the SC:thumbu:

I understand the frustration tho, I feel the same with the Danish coach Ehlers.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Correct, I'm just being very silly and I'm very bored, yes. But still, he has the number 75 in his neck and I wondered why and put a spin on it.

I don't care. It still looks ridiculous and ruins an otherwise quite good looking British jersey. And for the record, prostate cancer is a much bigger issue than breast cancer. Ever heard of any effort to raise awareness of that, have you? Nope. Par for the course. Ever heard of other breast cancer awareness campaigns? Dozens upon dozens, everywhere. What demographic is watching hockey?

Second of all, I couldn't care less if Myers played his 100th game, he was rather invisible. A participation award, great. Bowns deserved that price, since he actually was the best British player on the ice by far. If the Brits want to give Myers an award, you do that as a side price in the ending ceremony.

You missed absolutely nothing, although Kempe's one goal was rather pretty. You can see that in the highlights instead.

I know Swedes are going to be disappointed by the performance of an understrength team and a coach who clearly is lacking in several areas. But there was no need to lampoon us. We have barely a fraction of the resources of Swedish hockey. Anyway regarding Dowd the 75 is a result of a night out drinking and having a random tattoo. Not something I am a fan of or heavy drinking but hey ho everyone has their personal freedom.

Bowns deserved MOTM but still you get acclaimed in other sports for reaching milestones when you have not done exceptionally just as a thank you for long service as in rugby union or association football.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Saying that, here's hoping that GB playing at this level and players getting exposure will make more countries willing to take British players as well. It's a hard sell when they were playing at Div1B

Fingers crossed. Though the best route for out best kids is going to North America as several have done to get better coaching and a dedicated focus on playing regularly in a competitive environment as our own junior hockey is not going to get the best to develop as they rack up enormous point totals.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
For sure - But that is why this tourney will never get the respect it deserves.

The structure will never allow for best on best hockey like the SC of OG, that is why I personally don’t care how Canada does in the WC - Denmark yes, as it is still big for a team like DK
If you're suggesting a structural change, I would agree with you a bi-annual or even longer period of time between tournaments would give the tournament more prestige. But the bald old men in suits at IIHF need their kaa-ching.
iu

This is the sad reality for hockey fans outside of North America. You can either have no life and not sleep during the nights and watch the entertainment industry of the NHL screw over the sport while watching the best players perform in a ridiculous structure, or you can stick to milked (by the NHL), subpar Euro leagues while it ends in lottery tournament which teams get the most NHL players. Swedish fans have lately been very spoiled with how many good players have joined the team and how well they have played.

Since the entertainment industry of the NHL has no interest in international hockey, we never get a proper international tournament anymore. And no, the Mickey Mouse World Cup wasn't proper in any imagination of the word. Neither does it help it is arranged once every 1-18 years whenever they feel like it.

Anyhow, from a Swedish standpoint, going from winning the tournament three years in a row to tumbling off the road is quite the contrast - and not a very welcoming one, especially with how shitty everything is nowadays.
I know Swedes are going to be disappointed by the performance of an understrength team and a coach who clearly is lacking in several areas. But there was no need to lampoon us. We have barely a fraction of the resources of Swedish hockey. Anyway regarding Dowd the 75 is a result of a night out drinking and having a random tattoo. Not something I am a fan of or heavy drinking but hey ho everyone has their personal freedom.

Bowns deserved MOTM but still you get acclaimed in other sports for reaching milestones when you have not done exceptionally just as a thank you for long service as in rugby union or association football.
Disappointed? I think the British team played very examplary. The skill gap is of course immense, but they sacrificed their bodies blocking a ton of shots and did their best. I could never downplay a team or player doing their best and going beyond the duty of their jersey.

My disappointments were: a) the ridiculous pink logo on the shoulders and that Bowns was robbed of the attention of his great performance in net, nothing more. That I made fun of the fact that Dowd has the jersey number 75 and plays with the number 75 is of course peculiar.

But pardon me for making fun of that hockey players aren't known for being the smartest people on the planet and going off how it was Dowd's way to remember his jersey number and whatnot.

Last edited:

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Connolly gets dumped by Rakell and can't do anything to stop going into the goalie. That goal's on Rakell, not the refs.

It's amazing that we're even in a position where Swedish fans are getting mad about refs in a game against Great Britain.
No Connolly can get up. Belive me he could.at least a pro could

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
That explains alot.

It's still extremely sketchy. Connolly seeked out the initial contact as much as Rakell did, it just happened Rakell had better balance on his skates than Connolly. For it to be a legit goal, Connolly also has to brace and limit the impact to the best of his ability, which he absolutely didn't. He didn't do anything to ease the collision. Skate blades first, I mean seriously.
Yeah. But this is not what everybody understamd therefor no goal. In next game and all other games this should not be a goal

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
From a Swedish perspective 4-1 is quite an ok result. Mentally this was a game that Sweden could more or less only lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad