Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've always had him pegged as a winger due to his size, but several people have said he could be a center, so I always allowed a window of possibility there. But after watching him on Saturday, I don't think that window is much bigger than a pinhole.

He can definitely get stronger, yeah. In fact, he should. And you're right, at 20 there is still a decent amount of runway there. But he's small even for his age group, so I'm not sure we'll ever see his board work and puck battling reach even average at the NHL level. I expect it to remain a deficiency.
As you say, he may never get strong enough. We won't know the end of that for a bit however. I think there is a temptation with kids from the CHL to presume they are further along in their development than they actually are because they put up a season or two of really good production in the CHL (where they can get aways with a lack of physical development). Even if you produce well in the CHL, you still need to be physically mature enough to excel at professional hockey. Given his size and strength, I personally did not expect him to produce this well this season.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
And then there's the possibility of him converting to winger, which I'm not a big fan of, I think you're losing value there, but if it means he's in the top-6, gelling real well with someone like Danielson, then it could be worth it.
I couple of weeks ago I realized that a Kasper-Danielson line was a real possibility and I fell in love with the idea. That's the only way I want to see Kasper on the wing.

I think Kasper as a 40-50 point agitating third line c who moonlights at second line wing is actually a good outcome for a 9OA pick.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I couple of weeks ago I realized that a Kasper-Danielson line was a real possibility and I fell in love with the idea. That's the only way I want to see Kasper on the wing.

I think Kasper as a 40-50 point agitating third line c who moonlights at second line wing is actually a good outcome for a 9OA pick.
I also like to see Danielson and Kasper on the same line, but who is a wing on that line we are in opposite side. Anyway , going forward I like to see them both on the same line like 1a and 1b centers , like Datsyuk and Zetterberg were

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Don't get hurt during the playoffs Simon, want you to have a proper offseason to be ready to help shoulder a much bigger burden with the big club next season.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think this Griffins team has Calder Cup potential with Berggren and Edvinsson down. They are such difference makers at the AHL level. All depends on how hot Cossa gets.
I think theyre calder cup contenders without those guys the way theyveplaye the second half of the season. With those guys down, plus Czarnik back, they should be one of the favourites.

It doesnt show in the standings because they started so slow but theyre one of the top 3ish teams imo

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think theyre calder cup contenders without those guys the way theyveplaye the second half of the season. With those guys down, plus Czarnik back, they should be one of the favourites.

It doesnt show in the standings because they started so slow but theyre one of the top 3ish teams imo
As much crap as Czarnik gets he's huge for GR too. There's a big difference between him in the top6 vs LEsperance or ZAR.

Reactions: lgrws91

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I think this Griffins team has Calder Cup potential with Berggren and Edvinsson down. They are such difference makers at the AHL level. All depends on how hot Cossa gets.

You hit the nail on the head It is his biggest pro test. He didn't do well at world Junior's. Was stellar for Toledo until game 7, when he had to be pulled. Really hoping he carries them to glory.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I've always had him pegged as a winger due to his size, but several people have said he could be a center, so I always allowed a window of possibility there. But after watching him on Saturday, I don't think that window is much bigger than a pinhole.

He can definitely get stronger, yeah. In fact, he should. And you're right, at 20 there is still a decent amount of runway there. But he's small even for his age group, so I'm not sure we'll ever see his board work and puck battling reach even average at the NHL level. I expect it to remain a deficiency.
Of course you're probably right but Datsyuk's biggest weakness in his rookie year was strength (but he made great passes as he was falling while being knocked down) and he turned strenght into a strength with hard work.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Berggren has been off lately, along with Hirose, since he came back from his injury. Hopefully they can figure it out in time for the playoffs.

Also, Lombardi with another good game. He's the most skilled player on the team, possession monster

Biiiiig shootout win by the team that will put them 3 points ahead of Rockford, the team they will be playing in the first round.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty good article about Cossa's progress and about the new goalie coach Koistinen down in GR:

It's insane how good Koistinen was developing goalies at Kärpät U20 system.

This is kind of his peak, when there was 4 guys at same time, all drafted to NHL.

1713509094245.png

Also he worked some time with Justus Annunen who debuted this season at Colorado.

Great goalies coming from same place = it's not the water they drink.

It's the goalie coach.

I'm not surpriced at all about Cossa's development and can't wait when Augustine will be next project with Koistinen after Cossa.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

This is kind of his peak, when there was 4 guys at same time, all drafted to NHL.

View attachment 855064

Also he worked some time with Justus Annunen who debuted this season at Colorado.

It's the goalie coach.

I'm not surpriced at all about Cossa's development and can't wait when Augustine will be next project with Koistinen after Cossa.

the amount of experience he has is crazy for his age

dudes 31 and has been a Goalie Coach since he was 18, he even had a couple years where he was coaching U16 Goalies while playing as a Goalie in the U18/U20 leagues

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015

View attachment 855064

It's the goalie coach.

There is an article on the Grffins homepage about Koistinen. It's interesting that he contacted the organizations in North America for a coaching opportunity.

It's a good read.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is an article on the Grffins homepage about Koistinen. It's interesting that he contacted the organizations in North America for a coaching opportunity.

It's a good read.

Thanks. I had missed this article. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad