Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Hopefully, instead lf waiting until he is forced, he is able to package some of these guys, along with some picks and possibly even roster players to add some star power and/or skilled toughness up front. My dream is that, while doing so, he opens up a couple of roster spots for the prospects who are ready.
A package for who?

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Yzerman wants Berggren to play in GR playoffs to get playoff experience. If Berggren played one more game for the Wings, Berggren would have to clear waivers to send him back down to GR and he would not clear if they tried to do that. That is why that Berggren was a healthy scratch for the last 5 Wings games and Czarnik was called up and he played instead.
I think SY was going to send him back eventually once the wings got stable and likely not playoff bound, but I suspect they were both content with press box duty and bumping up JBs pay cheque and send him back closer to the GR playoffs.

But if GR was going to be short handed for a bit, he sent him down sooner. The timing of the Finnie signing also provides another potential body and Doucet is in Toledo, so options for the Griff’s.

SY still has one call up left for the regular season if he really wants JB up if the wings are in the playoffs, but I suspect he is in GR for hopefully, a long Calder Cup run.

I find Finnie an interesting late season addition, I hope he finds a way to have an impact in GR in the short term.

Reactions: Gniwder

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
A package for who?
A package for anyone who becomes available for any reason. Wings are well-positiioned to go after elite players at any position over the next 16 months: good and deep prospect pool, first-round picks, youngish veterans with some trade value (Walman, Veleno) and Cap space. DBC was signed only for four years and might not be in the long-term plans either.

The superficially crowded D situation is not a problem. Beyond Seider and Edvinsson there is no one from this year's lineup that can be assured a spot for the entire 2025-26 season, Chiarot and Walman are final year pending UFAs that season. The remaining 3-5 holes are not all going to be filled at that time by current prospects, but there is plenty of room for the best of them.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Hard to know at this point whether Finnie is a C or RW. Way more productive at RW, but that could be just a result of playing with one of the few other quality Kamloops' teammates, natural center Keller, an under-sized but quick and clever player. It was Finnie's two-way play at C, potential size and okay skating ability that got him drafted the year before and he's been good on FOs (55 per cent this season). The big change for him this season was becoming a first-line shooter/finisher rather than a facilitating C rarely looking for his shot.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes any impact at all for the Griffins or even dressing in the playoffs. He's a healthy, paid employee now and the alternative to bringing him to GR (or possiblyToledo) was letting him drive his new vehicle up and down icy Okanagan roads for another month.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My money says Finnie was sent to GR for the experience, not with the expectation of stepping in and contributing. People just need to slow down and step back. We are talking about an 18-year-old stepping into the AHL right before a playoff run.

I hope he sees a game or two, but people need to be realistic with their expectations.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My money says Finnie was sent to GR for the experience, not with the expectation of stepping in and contributing. People just need to slow down and step back. We are talking about an 18-year-old stepping into the AHL right before a playoff run.

I hope he sees a game or two, but people need to be realistic with their expectations.

Who'd you rather see in the lineup, Finnie or Spezia/Hall? Hall is on loan from Boston (actually has a NHL contract). Makes more sense to play a Wings prospect. Spezia is an undersized career AHLer with limited offense. Just play Finnie and ship Hall back.

Note: Prior to this season, Hall's career high was 5 AHL pts in one season. He's on loan from Boston because he was playing in the ECHL, and the Wings were about to send McIsaac to Toledo. Plus GR is down a center due to Czarnik's callup, which is why I said they'll probably play Fin as center.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
He's more effective as a winger than a center, but I'm guessing they'll play him at 4C. The bottom of that lineup isn't very impressive, I hope Finnie gets real ice time, not just a few minutes.
Yeah, I was hoping he gets some real minutes at 4C since they are down a few centers, he won't be a first line impact type of addition, but certainly has a chance to make an impact with some solid play, and should get some with a playoff spot wrapped up and likely not much room for the team to move up in the standings.

I suspect he'll get some 4C time with all the bodies out and see how he does.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

RILEY SAWCHUK RECALLED BY GRAND RAPIDS​

Mar 28, 2024
Written By: Andrew Streitel
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday recalled center Riley Sawchuk from the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye.
Sawchuk has skated in four games for Grand Rapids this season from Oct. 20-Nov. 4 and has an even plus-minus rating. The 25-year-old has spent the majority of the campaign with the Walleye and possesses 52 points (25-27—52), 24 penalty minutes and a plus-17 rating in 50 games. Sawchuk’s 25 goals rank third on Toledo’s roster and his 52 points are tied for fourth. Sawchuk rattled off a career-high nine-game point streak from March 3-20 (9-7—16), which included six multi-point outings and his first-career hat trick on March 13 at South Carolina. The undrafted free agent signed with the Griffins toward the end of the 2022-23 season after finishing his collegiate career at Mount Royal University, making his pro debut on Feb. 24, 2023 against the Chicago Wolves. The Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, native scored his first pro goal on March 3, 2023 versus the Iowa Wild and finished the 2022-23 AHL season with three goals and four penalty minutes in 23 appearances. In 2022-23, Sawchuk was named to the USports All-Canadian First Team, the USports West First All-Star Team and was dubbed the USports West MVP when he totaled 49 points (20-29—49) in 27 games. Sawchuk amassed 87 points (35-52—87) in 47 career USports contests from 2021-23.

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Who'd you rather see in the lineup, Finnie or Spezia/Hall? Hall is on loan from Boston (actually has a NHL contract). Makes more sense to play a Wings prospect. Spezia is an undersized career AHLer with limited offense. Just play Finnie and ship Hall back.

Note: Prior to this season, Hall's career high was 5 AHL pts in one season. He's on loan from Boston because he was playing in the ECHL, and the Wings were about to send McIsaac to Toledo. Plus GR is down a center due to Czarnik's callup, which is why I said they'll probably play Fin as

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Accidental response above but I agree…play Detroit prospects…hope to see Finnie in the line-up but he needs to play top 6 minutes and PP to show his true value, not sure that will happen in a playoff stretch.

I also think Spezia plays solid bottom 6 minutes, he definitely does not hurt the team in any way, and from what I’ve seen Hall seems to be fitting in well as a 4F energy guy. Definitely a lot of options to consider now, but once full line up back all these guys will be in the stands.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Accidental response above but I agree…play Detroit prospects…hope to see Finnie in the line-up but he needs to play top 6 minutes and PP to show his true value, not sure that will happen in a playoff stretch.

I also think Spezia plays solid bottom 6 minutes, he definitely does not hurt the team in any way, and from what I’ve seen Hall seems to be fitting in well as a 4F energy guy. Definitely a lot of options to consider now, but once full line up back all these guys will be in the stands.

Finnie can PK and score dirty goals. He's not a soft scoring winger, if you watch the WHL he's bigger than average (listed at 6'1" 183). He's playing on a GR ATO contract, it's not about proving his value, it's about gaining experience. Plus I think he'll probably be a middle 6 forward if he makes the NHL.

I just want him to get some ice time regardless of the role so that he can size up the competition. I think this kid can put on some pounds this summer, getting pushed around by larger players will give him some motivation.

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Finnie can PK and score dirty goals. He's not a soft scoring winger, if you watch the WHL he's bigger than average (listed at 6'1" 183). He's playing on a GR ATO contract, it's not about proving his value, it's about gaining experience. Plus I think he'll probably be a middle 6 forward if he makes the NHL.

I just want him to get some ice time regardless of the role so that he can size up the competition. I think this kid can put on some pounds this summer, getting pushed around by larger players will give him some motivation.
Yes, I don’t watch WHL games but totally agree with you. Doesn’t look like he’s in tonite and GR is only dressing 11F even though he’s available to play so you do the math…

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Aston-Reese called up to Detroit this morning. Berggren (did not make the trip) and Simek are not playing in Chicago tonight. Griffins in Chicago tonight and in Milwaukee tomorrow night.

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Tyler Spezia about 3 minutes into the game, was pushed from behind by a Wolves player and Spezia landed on Cross Hanas hip and snapped his head back and ended up motionless on the ice for nearly 10 minutes before being stretchered off the ice and off to a nearby hospital. No word yet on his condition.

Griffins scored 8 seconds apart (Sawchuk and Luff) in the first period before the Wolves scored 2 pp goals later in the first to tie the game at 2-2.

Grand Rapids Griffins

2m ·
UPDATE: Tyler Spezia was injured during the first period of tonight's game in Chicago and taken to a local hospital. He is awake, alert, and doing well while awaiting more tests and undergoing precautionary measures. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers, Griffins Nation!

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Aston-Reese called up to Detroit this morning. Berggren (did not make the trip) and Simek are not playing in Chicago tonight. Griffins in Chicago tonight and in Milwaukee tomorrow night.
It hasn't shown up on Capfriendly yet though so I hope it's a joke. That would be the last callup if it happened.

Tyler Spezia about 3 minutes into the game, was pushed from behind by a Wolves player and Spezia landed on Cross Hanas hip and snapped his head back and ended up motionless on the ice for nearly 10 minutes before being stretchered off the ice and off to a nearby hospital. No word yet on his condition.

Griffins scored 8 seconds apart (Sawchuk and Luff) in the first period before the Wolves scored 2 pp goals later in the first to tie the game at 2-2.

Grand Rapids Griffins

2m ·
UPDATE: Tyler Spezia was injured during the first period of tonight's game in Chicago and taken to a local hospital. He is awake, alert, and doing well while awaiting more tests and undergoing precautionary measures. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers, Griffins Nation!
I know I just hated on him, but best wishes to Spez. At no point do I ever wish injury on any player except Marchand.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Capfriendly updated it, ZAR is on emergency loan which means someone is sick/injured.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Finnie replaces Spezia in the lineup tonight in Milwaukee. He will be wearing #29. Cossa starting for GR tonight. Following out: Spezia, Berggren (did not make trip but should be available on Wednesday), Semic, Gettinger, Mazur, Czarnik (Det), Edvinsson (Det), Aston-Reese (Det)

Finnie replaces Spezia in the lineup tonight in Milwaukee. He will be wearing #29. Cossa starting for GR tonight. Following out: Spezia, Berggren (did not make trip but should be available on Wednesday), Semic, Gettinger, Mazur, Czarnik (Det), Edvinsson (Det), Aston-Reese (Det)

Oct 18, 2006
Gee, tough patch for the Griffins right now. A win tonight would be a massive effort. Thankfully the D core still looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad