Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Cossa goes to Toledo with Tyutyayev.

Good. He'll get more games there. He's learned enough in the WHL but isn't quite ready to get a big AHL workload.

Gonna be at the opener tonight, can't wait. The Van can get pretty electric. Very excited to see Edvinsson and Johansson in person.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Who was the last highly touted 1st round goalie prospect to get sent to the ECHL?

List of all time wins leaders from the ECHL.

The list is...not encouraging.

ECHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Wins Leaders

EDIT: I've been flipping through that list for some glimmer of hope and I'm coming across names like Peter Skudra, Logan Coopmans, Curtis Sanford, Aaron Dell, Jason Labarbera, Kaden Fulcher, Devan Dubnyk (who I fear is our worst case scenario with Cossa) and...Jonathan Quick who was the 400th winningest goalie in ECHL history.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Who was the last highly touted 1st round goalie prospect to get sent to the ECHL?
Jack Campbell did a stint in the ECHL (Idaho). Although he did have some AHL time in before that.
List of all time wins leaders from the ECHL.

The list is...not encouraging.

ECHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Wins Leaders

EDIT: I've been flipping through that list for some glimmer of hope and I'm coming across names like Peter Skudra, Logan Coopmans, Curtis Sanford, Aaron Dell, Jason Labarbera, Kaden Fulcher, Devan Dubnyk (who I fear is our worst case scenario with Cossa) and...Jonathan Quick who was the 400th winningest goalie in ECHL history.

We don’t need him to put up 400 wins there. They painted themselves into a corner with all these mediocre goalie signings so Cossa going to Toledo was collateral damage. He’ll do year and probably even get a handful of games in GR. Then take over net in GR net year. No harm no foul.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Cossa to the ECHL? Thats concerning, I dont care what people say about him needing game time, a top 20 pick shouldnt play there.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I'm wondering if it's because toledo has a game tonight (i know, preseason) and since olkinaura is starting in GR, they'll let cossa play the toledo game to get him going, and call him up before the next game. If he's spending significant time down there, it's concerning

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's meaningless, in reality.

Better see Brattström sitting and Olkinuora winning games.

You guys think these things in a very weird way. Like always finding a problem, when there's none.
Exactly. They're goalies. Just don't be bad. Paying for anything more than that is a waste. Spend it on the skaters.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I was at the game. Edvinsson looked solid but yeah it was rough. Got in A LOT of penalty trouble. At one point they took 3 in 30 seconds.
Viro was a surprise. He was very active jumping in the play while playing solid defense. Looked just as good as Edvinsson. Didn't catch too much of Johansson, the beers were flowing a bit lol.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I dislike this man so so very much
Goaltender was bad tonight. Gave up juicy rebounds to Gulls forwards that banged them in the net. He looked slow and out of position tonight. Lots of penalties on both sides tonight. Johansson also had a bad night. Made too many turnovers in his own zone. Edvinsson played like a nervous prospect at first, but he started getting going once the game got going. He had his good and bad moments tonight. Need to shoot more on the power play. Scoring lines had their chances, but need to convert more. As they get more games together, I think the team will get better. It is only the first game of the season.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
How is it, our best defenseman was the one that sat out tonight? Sabrango is a defensive stalwart and great leader AND you sit him the first game? That is some BS right there. Lash was on for 3 goals against. He isn't good enough to be a captain or on the ice in front of the young guys. If we are going to give up 6 a game let all the young guys play and learn.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Goaltender was bad tonight. Gave up juicy rebounds to Gulls forwards that banged them in the net. He looked slow and out of position tonight. Lots of penalties on both sides tonight. Johansson also had a bad night. Made too many turnovers in his own zone. Edvinsson played like a nervous prospect at first, but he started getting going once the game got going. He had his good and bad moments tonight. Need to shoot more on the power play. Scoring lines had their chances, but need to convert more. As they get more games together, I think the team will get better. It is only the first game of the season.
I agree goaltending was bad. But my issue is as soon as they got to 3 goals, I knew it was very unlikely we would win. I don’t have faith we can score 3 goals on any given night. At that point it doesn’t really matter how good the goalie is. He’s got a mix of quality AHL guys and prospects. I shouldn’t be questioning if they can put the puck in the net. They had maybe 2 really good looks 5 on 5? Lot of long range/low percentage shots.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How is it, our best defenseman was the one that sat out tonight? Sabrango is a defensive stalwart and great leader AND you sit him the first game? That is some BS right there. Lash was on for 3 goals against. He isn't good enough to be a captain or on the ice in front of the young guys. If we are going to give up 6 a game let all the young guys play and learn.
Newpower did not play last night either. Right now you have a lot of guys on the roster to test out and see where it goes from here. The team has only been together here for about 10 days and you have extra guys on your roster at the moment. Just a sorting out process at the moment. Hoping for a better game and outcome for tonight's game.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Game looks the same as the game yesterday, but with us changing sides. Ned keeping us alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad