Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Seems like everything is logjammed right now. Nice problem to have as an organization.

The only questions from a depth standpoint are back up goaltending at the AHL level and maybe adding toughness at all levels of pros and prospects.
If Malik is to be believed (usually not, but he seems to know a thing or two about goalie as a position), Coreau is looking pretty good. Huge goalie who's impressively quick.

If it helps any, Jim Bedard thinks so too. http://www.freep.com/article/201307...e-impresses-during-Red-Wings-development-camp

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If Malik is to be believed (usually not, but he seems to know a thing or two about goalie as a position), Coreau is looking pretty good. Huge goalie who's impressively quick.

If it helps any, Jim Bedard thinks so too. http://www.freep.com/article/201307...e-impresses-during-Red-Wings-development-camp

Yeah, I am sure they will bury Coreau in Toledo to start the season, just like they did with Mrazek last season. Then once McCollum spits the bit (for the sixth or so time) they can bring up Coreau to back up Mrazek. Mrazek, Coreau and Paterson would be pretty solid depth IMO, probably the best we've had in as long as anyone could remember.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Yeah, I am sure they will bury Coreau in Toledo to start the season, just like they did with Mrazek last season. Then once McCollum spits the bit (for the sixth or so time) they can bring up Coreau to back up Mrazek. Mrazek, Coreau and Paterson would be pretty solid depth IMO, probably the best we've had in as long as anyone could remember.

I agree on Paterson. I've seen him a bunch and he looks great.

But for AHL I think there is depth questions behind Mrazek, because Coreau is somewhat of an unknown quantity and has inherited injury issues by the sounds of it. But I hope he lives up to the positive potential/press yourself and Guru point out he has been recieving.

The fact McCollum is even in the picture, is the only reason why I brought 'back up AHL goalie' as an issue...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Malik has had traditionally positive things to say about McCollum and his improvements so....

By the way McCollum has actually gotten a lot better, problem is that isn't going to be enough. Think he should have gone to Europe and tried a change of scenery.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I agree on Paterson. I've seen him a bunch and he looks great.

But for AHL I think there is depth questions behind Mrazek, because Coreau is somewhat of an unknown quantity and has inherited injury issues by the sounds of it. But I hope he lives up to the positive potential/press yourself and Guru point out he has been recieving.

The fact McCollum is even in the picture, is the only reason why I brought 'back up AHL goalie' as an issue...

I think all you are asking from Coreau is to be a competent AHL back-up and then see if he can compete with Paterson once Mrazek gets bumped up to the big club. That should give him time to get fully healthy and allow him to get comfortable as a pro netminder. I remember people calling us out for saying Mrazek looked legit prior to making it to the AHL. They were all like "oh but McCollum was good before arriving in the AHL!" The big difference is that Mrazek has been a stud in international tourneys while McCollum sharted all over himself.

My take is give a guy the benefit of the doubt until he proves he's not ready. There is no reason to think Coreau couldn't be an AHL backup at a bare minimum. That's the ceiling for former first rounder Thomas McCollum.

Gotta keep it real, dude.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
My take is that McCollum can be traded or have his contract bought by an AHL club or maybe a KHL (any overseas club). Might not help the Wings but could help GRG land a vet if someone gets injured or get McCollum to a different situation.

Johnz96*

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Wow Grand Rapids got a taste of winning and aren't ready to give that up.
It's going to be a more veteran lineup than people around here were hoping for, but I'd rather our top prospects get a taste of a winning environment... more important than catering to mediocre prospects like Nestrasil, Parkes and Fournier.

Jurco - Jarnkrok - Hoggan
Ferraro - Sheahan - Frk
Glendening - McIntyre - Pulkkinen
Callahan - Tvrdon - Grant/Aubry

Almquist - Jensen
Sproul - Paetch
Oullette - Evans
Fournier

Mrazek
Coreau/McCollum

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have to believe Marchenko never signs a contract if Toledo is even an option. He also more than likely will not report if that is the direction they head, so kiss him goodbye to those not including him in Grand Rapids. He got some kind of promises, to say nothing of the fact he doesn't belong in the ECHL at all, guy is coming from a more talented league than the AHL.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Have to believe Marchenko never signs a contract if Toledo is even an option. He also more than likely will not report if that is the direction they head, so kiss him goodbye to those not including him in Grand Rapids. He got some kind of promises, to say nothing of the fact he doesn't belong in the ECHL at all, guy is coming from a more talented league than the AHL.

for sure, it would be bad for him in every way

RedWingsNow*

I don't want our prospects n the press box or playing 8 minutes a night in Detroit when they can go to Grand Rapids and be in the press box or playing 8 minutes a night.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I don't want our prospects n the press box or playing 8 minutes a night in Detroit when they can go to Grand Rapids and be in the press box or playing 8 minutes a night.

:laugh: Sounds about right.

I'd like to see ice time balanced between the three pairings. Everybody wins.

Almqvist-Marchenko
XO-Sproul
Paetsch-Jensen
Evans can be the fill in guy on any pairing.
Nicastro first call up from Toledo.

Nedo and Fournier are the guys who clearly don't make the cut in my eyes, but we'll see in camp. The competition here will be good for their development. None of them have earned the right to be comfy yet.

CouchScout

I didn't know where to put this, so I decided to put it here. Some of the Griffins (Sheahan, McCollum, Trevor Parkes & Callahan) played in the Pro Division at NARCh, which is one of the biggest roller hockey tourneys in North America, as a way to keep in shape during the offseason.

http://narch.com/sp-datastore/media-files/pro rosters 13.pdf.

Here are the rosters for the tourney. I couldn't find stats on how they did, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't know where to put this, so I decided to put it here. Some of the Griffins (Sheahan, McCollum, Trevor Parkes & Callahan) played in the Pro Division at NARCh, which is one of the biggest roller hockey tourneys in North America, as a way to keep in shape during the offseason.

http://narch.com/sp-datastore/media-files/pro rosters 13.pdf.

Here are the rosters for the tourney. I couldn't find stats on how they did, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

Odd that McCollum is on a different team. Whatever keeps them in shape I guess.

gamefan14*

Not sure why they signed a career ahl 3rd liner, seems like a waste of a roster spot

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
http://therapidian.org/griffins-season-signings-prepare-team-2013-14-season
Newly joining the Griffins will be center David McIntyre. McIntyre, 26, was signed as a free agent to a one-year AHL contract. McIntyre brings with him considerable experience, having played three seasons in the AHL and four seasons before that with Colgate University. He also has played seven games in the NHL.

Last season, McIntyre contributed 15 goals, 18 points and a team-leading plus-19 rating in 68 games for the Houston Aeros. He also played impressively during the Aeros' first-round playoff series against the Griffins, adding two goals and an assist in five games.

Blashill said how challenging McIntyre was to play against, noting, among other things, his ability to win face-offs.

Blashill looks forward to having McIntyre continue his development with the Griffins.

"He's entering the prime of his pro career and his best days are ahead," Blashill said.

McIntyre's signing brings the Griffins an experienced player who nonetheless does not take one of the official veteran spots in their lineup.

AHL rules specify that teams are only allowed to play five veterans--defined as having played more than a combined 260 games in the AHL, NHL or top European leagues--per game. AHL rules also permit teams to play one additional player who has played over 260 but under 320 games.

McIntyre has played in 228 professional games.

The Griffins are likely reserving their fifth veteran spot for a Red Wings player who may be sent to Grand Rapids to pare down the parent club's currently overcrowded roster.

The article had some other good stuff as well.

RedWingsNow*

WHy does the AHL even have veteran rules? If an AHL team wants 30 AHL vets, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad