Recalled/Assigned: Granberg Returned to Marlies.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
I usually don't like to be "this guy" but it's more than likely at this point that Granberg tops out at nothing more than a #6-7 with very little upside. The puck skills just aren't there to become anything better.

Let's say Granberg becomes a reliable bottom pairing D. In this situation there is less need to sign a player like Robidas to 3x3 to fill a hole or to overpay in a trade for a player like Polak. Having that bottom pairing spot taken care of, it leaves more cap space and assets for other spots.

Draft and Develop doesn't just apply to top end players. Especially for a team like Toronto with more holes than Swiss cheese on the main roster.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
T Leafs Fan I think you should make this an all purpose thread for when players are sent down or called up

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's really par for the course around here though.

Anton Stralman was thought to be a #5-6 guy and then gets shipped out of town and can be a solid #3-4 guy on another team, but not for a brutal Maple Leafs team at the time?

Many Players look good when they become members of good Teams. The real indication is how a Player looks on a bad Team, Gunnar being totally unremarkable is a good example.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Writing off Granberg and saying he'll top out as a 6/7 guy is far too premature. Most Leafs fans are just absolutely clueless as to what player development actually looks like.

It's just my opinion and nothing more.

I was actually one of the few people who was advocating patience for Stralaman.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Many Players look good when they become members of good Teams. The real indication is how a Player looks on a bad Team, Gunnar being totally unremarkable is a good example.

That's where the Leafs revamped scouting department will have a chance to shine. Finding really good players on bad teams and picking them up farther down the draft than if they played for a good team.

Connor Brown anyone?

buttman*

Not liking all this up and down. Let the Marlies play, they're 1 point out of a playoff spot.

Who cares about the Marlies. They don't even play the prospects half the time. OH, I get you need to earn your ice time but some kids take longer to adjust and maybe if they weren't in the pressbox half the time they might.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Who cares about the Marlies. They don't even play the prospects half the time. OH, I get you need to earn your ice time but some kids take longer to adjust and maybe if they weren't in the pressbox half the time they might.

Have you seen the roster this season? LOL

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure St.Lou knew they weren't getting a Doughty clone when they traded for Gunner . They moved a bottom pair D for a second pair D plus a pick and cap relief . They win this trade going away .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm pretty sure St.Lou knew they weren't getting a Doughty clone when they traded for Gunner . They moved a bottom pair D for a second pair D plus a pick and cap relief . They win this trade going away .

I dunno, Polak isn't as skilled as Gunnarsson but he provides a lot more brawn and it's nice to have him on the blueline while bringing up kids in the next year. Also, part of the equation is what we could get back for him at next year's trade deadline.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I dunno, Polak isn't as skilled as Gunnarsson but he provides a lot more brawn and it's nice to have him on the blueline while bringing up kids in the next year. Also, part of the equation is what we could get back for him at next year's trade deadline.

Polak's a hard working gritty player but as you said he doesn't have Gunner's puck skill nor does he have Gunner's iq .

He's one of those active high energy players that our fans love , unfortunately it also makes them overlook his constant positional mistakes .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Polak's a hard working gritty player but as you said he doesn't have Gunner's puck skill nor does he have Gunner's iq .

He's one of those active high energy players that our fans love , unfortunately it also makes them overlook his constant positional mistakes .

He's not that great, but if the team is going to be bringing up Gunnarsson type defensemen in the next little while, it makes more sense to have different abilities out there than 2x Gunnarsson.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Yeah but we traded down for some reason, most likely because Carl´s bad hip. I like Polak and what he brings both on and off the ice. But he is a bottom pairing d-man who gets caught out of position to much while that was one of Gunnarssons main strength.

And if Granberg could become a bigger and more physical version of Gunnarsson that would be awesome but he would have to improve his puck moving skills for that to happen.
Loov and Nilsson does not play like Gunnarsson.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
does this roll into the call up of tj brennan or is a new one made ?

rather see this guy given a chance and bench gardiner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Granberg was disappointing. He has a long way to go before becoming the expected Aki Berg clone.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050 ·
Leafs have recalled TJ Brennan from the Marlies.

Maybe the mods can re-title thread? I don't know how on this site. Maybe recall watch?

Brennan finally getting his well overdue shot on the Leafs roster!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Granberg was disappointing. He has a long way to go before becoming the expected Aki Berg clone.

It looks like the finished product with Granberg might look like... Korbinian Holzer. And we just traded him after a decade of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad