Recalled/Assigned: Granberg Returned to Marlies.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
granbergblogfeb3.jpg

Maple Leafs reassign Granberg to Marlies
Tuesday, 10.03.2015
Toronto Maple Leafs

LINK: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=757405

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I assume they have to recall him officially and not as an emergency call up. Marlies play tomorrow and Granberg obviously helps them a ton. So perhaps he's called back up after tomorrows Marlies game.

Or perhaps they want to give the chance to MacWilliam or maybe even Loov, who's been oustanding.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not liking all this up and down. Let the Marlies play, they're 1 point out of a playoff spot.

Marlies last played on Sunday and don't play until tomorrow. So essentially Granberg is playing in both leagues and getting the best of both worlds.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Meh, just play with 5 d-men or move Phil back there to teach him a little defence.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I assume they have to recall him officially and not as an emergency call up. Marlies play tomorrow and Granberg obviously helps them a ton. So perhaps he's called back up after tomorrows Marlies game.

Or perhaps they want to give the chance to MacWilliam or maybe even Loov, who's been outstanding.

There is a CBA rule that every team is only allowed 4 call-ups (non emergency) post trade deadline per team..

Granberg might have been an emergency recall due to Polak being shutdown situation and thus needed to be returned.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Meh, just play with 5 d-men or move Phil back there to teach him a little defence.

We don't need D, we need draft pick.
Just run Bozak/Kessel 30 minutes a game until the season is done.
The rest will take care of itself.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
There is a CBA rule that every team is only allowed 4 call-ups (non emergency) post trade deadline per team..

Granberg might have been an emergency recall due to Polak being shutdown situation and thus needed to be returned.

With Granberg playing last night that could amount to 4 Marlie D, playing 4 games apiece...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm sure this is a paper transaction and that he will be called up tomorrow for the game.

Granberg is 1 of 4 players that can be called up from now until the end of the year.

My guess is Frattin & MacWilliam are 2 others that will get called up before the end of the year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Surely, the Leafs can't use the "Emergency recall" for the rest of the season, full well knowing that Polak & Robidas are done, can they?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I usually don't like to be "this guy" but it's more than likely at this point that Granberg tops out at nothing more than a #6-7 with very little upside. The puck skills just aren't there to become anything better.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I usually don't like to be "this guy" but it's more than likely at this point that Granberg tops out at nothing more than a #6-7 with very little upside. The puck skills just aren't there to become anything better.

Why couldn't he be a #4 shutdown guy?

He's got the physical tools to do it and he's smart enough to understand the game. Granberg and Percy work very well together and neither of them are the greatest skaters, but they work very well in a system.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Surely, the Leafs can't use the "Emergency recall" for the rest of the season, full well knowing that Polak & Robidas are done, can they?

No, an emergency recall situation was yesterday where you didn't have enough Dmen to play a game because of the sudden news Polak was done for the year and it was game day.

Granberg was an emergency recall yesterday and as such a return today and that didn't count in the 4 allowable non emergency call-ups.

Now Leafs need to decide who they call up even if that is Granberg again on a permanent basis and that would then count a 1 of 4 allowable.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Shutdown dmen don't need offense. They just need to play effective defense and have an outlet pass. He does both.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Going to need someone for the rest of the year. Ideally I'd like someone whose loss wouldn't be too impactful for the Marlies. So which Marlies d-man could they most afford to lose for their stretch run?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This is why I can't come on this site on a regular basis. I don't know if people are trolling, or if they actually believe what they say.

Writing off Granberg and saying he'll top out as a 6/7 guy is far too premature. Most Leafs fans are just absolutely clueless as to what player development actually looks like.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Writing off Granberg and saying he'll top out as a 6/7 guy is far too premature. Most Leafs fans are just absolutely clueless as to what player development actually looks like.

It's really par for the course around here though.

Anton Stralman was thought to be a #5-6 guy and then gets shipped out of town and can be a solid #3-4 guy on another team, but not for a brutal Maple Leafs team at the time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad