• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm hoping it's not a system incompatibility issue. He's shown flashes of his old self though

Lindgren has been terrible. Bonino on defense

It's a partner compatibility thing.

Lindgren single handedly killed 3 sustained OZ sequences with poor decision making or just his in ablity to handle the puck. He was dreadful. It's hard to really get anything going on offense when it's basically 4v5 anytime you get over the opponents blue line and Lindgren is out there.

Panarin made a dumb blind pass to Lindgren on the first GA (at the end of a long shift no less) that went to no one, but Lindgren covering air instead of Matthews on that play is not lost on me either.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Brodzinski's quick seam pass to Laf before TOR killers could get set was so nasty, and it displayed his ability to think the game at a higher level than many have given him credit for. He has my jaw on the floor so far this year. He's been very solid. I know I am not the only one that would love to see Cuylle with Chytil and Jonny Broadway. Wheeler is some tricky case. If he keeps this up, he's not going to be sitting in the playoffs. Who becomes the 13F? Bonino? Pitlick? That "checking" line Lavi assembled with 26-21-71 is filthy. Their ability to get behind the goal line and cycle with power and fearlessness is admirable. Their defensive games are solid, too. I wouldn't sit any of those three. Such a great problem to have up front. Kudos to the boys for continuing to grind.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Positive rant incoming:

I don't expect this team to be analytics darlings. Would be nice, but they're just not that team.

I do think they can win if they just stay in games and don't get kicked around. They've mostly done that.

What I really like is that they're mostly doing that regardless of the opponent. I know people complain about "playing down," and sure, when we played the lowly Ducks, we barely beat them out in xG. That being said, when we played the Kings who rolled in with a 58% CF and a 57% xGF, we barely beat them out in xG. We're dictating tight games. Dictating is not something the Rangers have done since 2014.

Now, I know things have been a bit looser lately on the defensive end, but our generation has increased and honestly, I don't want to wear ourselves out playing 2-1 wars in the regular season.

Point is, close games in xG seem to follow the Rangers around. With our powerplay and goaltending, that's good.

Enough of a system to keep it close with enough leash to let our stars score is probably where the wheelhouse is for this roster. I've been impressed with Laviolette so far outside of minor disagreements.

One thing we're not getting from Laviolette that was constant with Gallant and AV (and I guess Quinn but those teams were just ass) are games that were just unwatchable. One period was worse than the next. Outside of a couple of stinkers, which everyone has, we've had at least one good period in just about every game. Laviolette seems to adjust and get the team to respond when things aren't going well. There's also always a bad one, but that's most teams. Nobody dominates in the NHL for 60 minutes.

Our pattern most nights seems to be a solid 1st, a bad 2nd, and a strong 3rd. If that's the pattern, I think we have a chance to win. We don't need to be perfect. Just stay close enough.

Honestly, Vegas succeeded doing that. They were 10th in xG and 21st in corsi last year. The 2014 Kings, they were not. They played even games and their scoring got hot at the right time.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Positive rant incoming:

I don't expect this team to be analytics darlings. Would be nice, but they're just not that team.

I do think they can win if they just stay in games and don't get kicked around. They've mostly done that.

What I really like is that they're mostly doing that regardless of the opponent. I know people complain about "playing down," and sure, when we played the lowly Ducks, we barely beat them out in xG. That being said, when we played the Kings who rolled in with a 58% CF and a 57% xGF, we barely beat them out in xG. We're dictating tight games. Dictating is not something the Rangers have done since 2014.

Now, I know things have been a bit looser lately on the defensive end, but our generation has increased and honestly, I don't want to wear ourselves out playing 2-1 wars in the regular season.

Point is, close games in xG seem to follow the Rangers around. With our powerplay and goaltending, that's good.

Enough of a system to keep it close with enough leash to let our stars score is probably where the wheelhouse is for this roster. I've been impressed with Laviolette so far outside of minor disagreements.

One thing we're not getting from Laviolette that was constant with Gallant and AV (and I guess Quinn but those teams were just ass) are games that were just unwatchable. One period was worse than the next. Outside of a couple of stinkers, which everyone has, we've had at least one good period in just about every game. Laviolette seems to adjust and get the team to respond when things aren't going well. There's also always a bad one, but that's most teams. Nobody dominates in the NHL for 60 minutes.

Our pattern most nights seems to be a solid 1st, a bad 2nd, and a strong 3rd. If that's the pattern, I think we have a chance to win. We don't need to be perfect. Just stay close enough.

Honestly, Vegas succeeded doing that. They were 10th in xG and 21st in corsi last year. The 2014 Kings, they were not. They played even games and their scoring got hot at the right time.

They certainly "played up" to Toronto last night like they've done with, say, the Bostons and LAs. They took last week's lesson against Toronto and played with attention to detail and at a pace that was needed against the Leafs. They still gave up a ton of chances, but the Leafs are immensely talented on offense, and it's the old adage -- the other team tries too. But they kept it at a good enough defensive level where Shesterkin wasn't hung out to dry. When the goalie knows he's being hung out to dry, he typically gives up softies. It plays into their heads. It's a self-fulfilling thing.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Brodzinski's quick seam pass to Laf before TOR killers could get set was so nasty, and it displayed his ability to think the game at a higher level than many have given him credit for. He has my jaw on the floor so far this year. He's been very solid. I know I am not the only one that would love to see Cuylle with Chytil and Jonny Broadway. Wheeler is some tricky case. If he keeps this up, he's not going to be sitting in the playoffs. Who becomes the 13F? Bonino? Pitlick? That "checking" line Lavi assembled with 26-21-71 is filthy. Their ability to get behind the goal line and cycle with power and fearlessness is admirable. Their defensive games are solid, too. I wouldn't sit any of those three. Such a great problem to have up front. Kudos to the boys for continuing to grind.
Yeah that was a nasty pass. How anyone can watch Brodzinski play and not want him in the lineup as part of a 4th line over Goodrow/Bonino is beyond me.

Reactions: majordomo

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah that was a nasty pass. How anyone can watch Brodzinski play and not want him in the lineup as part of a 4th line over Goodrow/Bonino is beyond me.
Wonder if any of our other spare guys have options left because JB is going to get claimed if we try to send him down. And with the cap, once Fil and KK return, someone has to go.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Wonder if any of our other spare guys have options left because JB is going to get claimed if we try to send him down. And with the cap, once Fil and KK return, someone has to go.
As usual with this team, one of the better options will be the odd man out

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
As usual with this team, one of the better options will be the odd man out
I guess they could try to sneak Pitlick thru. I believe he sat early in the year, once Vesey claimed a spot. I actually remember Jimmy being a healthy scratch in the 1st week. Seems like so long ago.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I guess they could try to sneak Pitlick thru. I believe he sat early in the year, once Vesey claimed a spot. I actually remember Jimmy being a healthy scratch in the 1st week. Seems like so long ago.
Vesey had an insane rush last night where he came down the right side and chipped the puck over the defenders stick with his backhand and then got a shot off in the slot. Not sure how they came out of training camp and he was a scratch

Reactions: egelband

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Vesey had an insane rush last night where he came down the right side and chipped the puck over the defenders stick with his backhand and then got a shot off in the slot. Not sure how they came out of training camp and he was a scratch
Yep. Seems really stupid now. Vesey had a couple of plays where he stole passes at the Leaf blue line. Hardly ever see that but he did it twice. The anticipation was great.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Since the NHL started tracking PP% in 1977, the Rangers only had 1 game where they were 100% on the powerplay while not conceding any penalties themselves, on April 9th, 2017.

Last night was the 2nd time it happened.

The Maple Leafs have done this 4 times, and the Flames, Bruins, Canadiens and Penguins 3 times.

• Wow
Reactions: egelband and Lua

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Vesey scratched on opening night was always a surprise to me, then and now. A clear case of Lavi not realizing what he had in Vesey. Vesey is better version than Pitlick, and you can see what made Vesey a collegiate star. Last night, barrels down the RW, chips puck inside to create a higher-danger slot shot for himself, that was followed up by a big time save by Jones on Goodrow. Vesey is such a smart player.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Vesey scratched on opening night was always a surprise to me, then and now. A clear case of Lavi not realizing what he had in Vesey. Vesey is better version than Pitlick, and you can see what made Vesey a collegiate star. Last night, barrels down the RW, chips puck inside to create a higher-danger slot shot for himself, that was followed up by a big time save by Jones on Goodrow. Vesey is such a smart player.
Yeah it’s why I find it it so funny when certain posters on here go “well Laviolettes an NHL coach with a Stanley cup and you’re not smarter than him” any time an aspect of the team is criticized. There’s one decision right there that we can all agree was dumb so like why can’t there be other stupid decisions they make?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Ah, the New York Rangers. A team currently basking in the fleeting warmth of a three-game winning streak, a feat as rare and elusive as a decent cup of coffee in Penn Station. But let's not get carried away, folks. Because just beneath the surface of these victories lies a festering swamp of nitpicking, a symphony of discontent conducted by the ghost of Henrik Lundqvist himself.

Firstly, the goaltending. Igor Shesterkin, the Vezina-nominated deity, has dared to be... human. Gasp! A mortal mistake here, a questionable rebound there, and suddenly the knives are out, sharper than Zibanejad's one-timers. "He's lost his edge," they cry, conveniently forgetting the 30-plus saves that bailed them out just the night before. Newsflash: Shesterkin isn't a brick wall, he's a world-class goalie, and even world-class goalies let in the occasional softie. Relax, grab a Xanax, and let the man breathe.

Then there's the defense. A unit so porous, you could cheese it with a dull butter knife. Breakaways galore, odd-man rushes like it's rush hour on the 7 train, and yet, somehow, they're winning? Witchcraft? Divine intervention? Nope, just a healthy dose of "good enough for now." Trouba's slapshot still finds the net as often as it finds the penalty box, Fox looks more lost than a tourist in Times Square, and Lindgren... well, bless his heart, he's trying. But the cracks are there, folks, gaping chasms waiting to swallow any semblance of playoff aspirations.

And don't even get me started on the power play. A unit that makes watching paint dry seem like an Olympic sport. Passes sailing past sticks like rogue shopping carts on Fifth Avenue, shots that wouldn't hit a barn door from inside the building, and creativity as scarce as decent seats at the Garden. Yet, the wins keep coming, a testament to the Rangers' offensive firepower, not their defensive prowess.

So let's celebrate these victories, Ranger fans, but with a cautious optimism, a side-eye of skepticism. Because under the shiny veneer of recent success lies the same old nitpicking flaws, the same leaky defense, the same inconsistent offense. Enjoy the ride, but don't get too comfortable. This winning streak is as fragile as a New Year's resolution, one bad game away from shattering back into a million frustrating pieces. And when that happens, remember, we were the ones who saw the cracks all along. We, the annoyingly realistic ones, the fans who love the Rangers enough to point out their flaws, because a true fan knows, sometimes the greatest love comes with the loudest groans.
Losing makes this board panic. Winning makes this board.... just plain weird.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Matthews’ first goal was nuts, puck is on his stick behind him when he moves to release the puck, practically impossible to roof with oomf unless it’s a wobbly puck (like Mika’s late game 7 tying goal against the Pens in the playoffs 2 years ago). I watched the Leafs highlights (wayyyy more unbiased insight into the goals and plays than Joe) and saw that Lindgren actually got his stick in and got a piece of the puck/shot and that’s what allowed the puck to roof. Now I feel less bad about our 3 leaf deflections into their own net lol

Also realized thanks to the Leafs broadcast that Lindgren was late to react to the passer in the corner on the Matthews second goal, Mika was tying up the guy in front and Lindgren was supposed to go into the corner to tie up the passer but he reacted late and then got caught in no man’s land, unable to block the pass and also unable to take Matthews due to vacating the slot (CK is usually pretty good in the d zone and should have been more aware).
I thought Lindgren was late to Matthews on the first goal as well. Leafs had two men and the Rangers had three men back. Lindgren should have read the mismatch and immediately gotten over to Matthews. Instead he was a step slow and as you point out, barely gets close enough to deflect the puck right in.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Positive rant incoming:

We've come from behind a lot. It's been a resilient team and the players this year believe they can overcome getting behind a goal or two and come back and win and they've done it a lot. To note though after looking awful in preseason Quick has been fantastic. This has also been our best 6 d-man group in years. Gustafsson has turned out to be a great add---he gives us a good 2nd power play option, moves the puck around really well and competes pretty well defending. We've not gotten terrific output from the bottom 6 but that's where the injuries to Chytil and Kakko kind of take a bite out of secondary scoring but the bottom lines are not hurting us defensively and the 4th line fit their roles. It's not just guys thrown on that line--example Gauthier that we don't know what else to do with. The guys we have there now take pride in shutting down other lines, they can all pk, buzz, grind, hit, block shots, get in the way and they at least to me seem to be gelling and getting better at working together to be a nightmare when put against scoring lines.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Just finished watching the game

IMG_20191127_225602.jpg

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Can we stop calling the Vesey line the 4th line? They start basically every game and get more 5v5 TOI than the Bonino line for quite some time now.

They're also somehow our by far best line statistically over the past 10 games with Vesey rocking a 75 GF%, 67 xGF% and 70 HDCF%.

If we're hell bent on line numbering it's our 3rd line. The actual 4th line is exactly what's described in the Gauthier example, a hand grab of players that don't really fit together and we don't know what to do with 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad