Post-Game Talk: Grammatically Incorrect Plant

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don’t see the great defensive effort, way too many odd man rushes against, especially after we have often controlled the puck for 20+ seconds in the o zone. I don’t get how that happens so often, not even with a D man pinching, just staying too high and tight in the NZ I guess? Need better reads. We also gave up too many slot opportunities off the cycle, again we lose ‘our special awareness’ (thanks Larry lol) and someone pops up wide open in a high danger area.

Shesty had a great game.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
I know Goodrow hasn’t produced much of anything for this team and is completely overpaid but there aren’t many players who willingly take face first dives to block shots
Agreed. We need more guys like that and less divas and marshmallows on the team.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
To win these 2 road games, vs top contenders, with everyone watching, and chatter of coming back to earth, chinks in the armor, blah blah blah, was excellent.
I won't call NYR best in the league, but on the short list, and can beat anyone.
Looking forward to warching these next few games together with family.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
“They’re a good team. You can tell, when they come in the zone they are making plays…cross ice plays, drop passes that other teams don’t make. That makes it challenging.” - Morgan Reilly

Take your old meta and trash it.
The amount of times those drop passes by the blue line nearly went the other way had me holding my my breath. I felt we played a more playoff style against them tonight, which for the last several years, they don't seem to enjoy.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Matthews’ first goal was nuts, puck is on his stick behind him when he moves to release the puck, practically impossible to roof with oomf unless it’s a wobbly puck (like Mika’s late game 7 tying goal against the Pens in the playoffs 2 years ago). I watched the Leafs highlights (wayyyy more unbiased insight into the goals and plays than Joe) and saw that Lindgren actually got his stick in and got a piece of the puck/shot and that’s what allowed the puck to roof. Now I feel less bad about our 3 leaf deflections into their own net lol

Also realized thanks to the Leafs broadcast that Lindgren was late to react to the passer in the corner on the Matthews second goal, Mika was tying up the guy in front and Lindgren was supposed to go into the corner to tie up the passer but he reacted late and then got caught in no man’s land, unable to block the pass and also unable to take Matthews due to vacating the slot (CK is usually pretty good in the d zone and should have been more aware).

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Matthews’ first goal was nuts, puck is on his stick behind him when he moves to release the puck, practically impossible to roof with oomf unless it’s a wobbly puck (like Mika’s late game 7 tying goal against the Pens in the playoffs 2 years ago). I watched the Leafs highlights (wayyyy more unbiased insight into the goals and plays than Joe) and saw that Lindgren actually got his stick in and got a piece of the puck/shot and that’s what allowed the puck to roof. Now I feel less bad about our 3 leaf deflections into their own net lol

Also realized thanks to the Leafs broadcast that Lindgren was late to react to the passer in the corner on the Matthews second goal, Mika was tying up the guy in front and Lindgren was supposed to go into the corner to tie up the passer but he reacted late and then got caught in no man’s land, unable to block the pass and also unable to take Matthews due to vacating the slot (CK is usually pretty good in the d zone and should have been more aware).

Tired: Lindgren is the defensive conscience of Fox

Wired: Fox has been carrying around Lindgren's corpse all season.

I like that. That is a really interesting comparison. I think Ovi was stronger physically but Mathews is a center and maybe a little more well rounded. They have a lot of similar traits.

Yeah they both need Barry Trotz to get them out of the 2nd round

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017

Don't know if it's part of our defensive system or if Lindgren was freelancing but on that play, he followed his guy who had the puck all the way to our right wing blue line. The guy then dumped the puck into the opposite corner. So Lindgren skated all the way to that corner because nobody else picked that guy up in the corner. I'm absolutely sure someone else needs to get that guy, probably Krieder. Because if you watch, Lindgren glances at Krieder, sees that he is just standing there and then heads to the corner. That's about 5 seconds where Krieder is frozen. Things would have worked so much better for us if Krieder gets to the corner because Lindgren was exactly where Matthews scored when he decided he better go to the corner.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I know Goodrow hasn’t produced much of anything for this team and is completely overpaid but there aren’t many players who willingly take face first dives to block slappers
Saying he hasn't produced anything is incredibly unfair. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. But fans need to rally around a guy like that. Right, he's probably one of three guys on the team with the Cup on the line that would offer their face to keep a puck from getting through to Igor. He's helped make that line with Vesey and Pitlick a force each night. I love the guy. Don't hate him because he's being paid good money. Let's hope we win a Cup with him. Such a likable player and, most of all, a teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad