3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can we stop calling the Vesey line the 4th line? They start basically every game and get more 5v5 TOI than the Bonino line for quite some time now.

They're also somehow our by far best line statistically over the past 10 games with Vesey rocking a 75 GF%, 67 xGF% and 70 HDCF%.

If we're hell bent on line numbering it's our 3rd line. The actual 4th line is exactly what's described in the Gauthier example, a hand grab of players that don't really fit together and we don't know what to do with 5v5.
Any line with Vesey on it is too good to be the 4th line.

download (46).png
download (48).png

Vesey is turning into a weird sort of player. He doesn't play enough to be on the radar, especially on special teams, but he's legitimately a very good player 5v5.

People are always looking for a role player that comes in and is an X-factor down the stretch, like Barbashev, Lehkonen, or the number of guys Tampa acquired. Vesey is the guy. I'm not saying don't go and get another one if it comes up, but play Vesey.

Demoting him down the stretch last year to play Kane, who sucks, is in the top 2 of reasons we faltered.

Right now, in the year of our lord almost 2024, Jimmy Vesey is a better player than Patrick Kane. Full stop, no caveats needed.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

View attachment 787818View attachment 787820

Vesey is turning into a weird sort of player. He doesn't play enough to be on the radar, especially on special teams, but he's legitimately a very good player 5v5.

People are always looking for a role player that comes in and is an X-factor down the stretch, like Barbashev, Lehkonen, or the number of guys Tampa acquired. Vesey is the guy. I'm not saying don't go and get another one if it comes up, but play Vesey.

Demoting him down the stretch last year to play Kane, who sucks, is in the top 2 of reasons we faltered.

Right now, in the year of our lord almost 2024, Jimmy Vesey is a better player than Patrick Kane. Full stop, no caveats needed.
Vesey has developed a desire to engage opponents physically. And I'm not talking about hitting. He's actually doing it with the puck on his stick. It's rare to find a player who relishes challenging defenders physically. Such a find!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ah, the New York Rangers. A team currently basking in the fleeting warmth of a three-game winning streak, a feat as rare and elusive as a decent cup of coffee in Penn Station. But let's not get carried away, folks. Because just beneath the surface of these victories lies a festering swamp of nitpicking, a symphony of discontent conducted by the ghost of Henrik Lundqvist himself.

Firstly, the goaltending. Igor Shesterkin, the Vezina-nominated deity, has dared to be... human. Gasp! A mortal mistake here, a questionable rebound there, and suddenly the knives are out, sharper than Zibanejad's one-timers. "He's lost his edge," they cry, conveniently forgetting the 30-plus saves that bailed them out just the night before. Newsflash: Shesterkin isn't a brick wall, he's a world-class goalie, and even world-class goalies let in the occasional softie. Relax, grab a Xanax, and let the man breathe.

Then there's the defense. A unit so porous, you could cheese it with a dull butter knife. Breakaways galore, odd-man rushes like it's rush hour on the 7 train, and yet, somehow, they're winning? Witchcraft? Divine intervention? Nope, just a healthy dose of "good enough for now." Trouba's slapshot still finds the net as often as it finds the penalty box, Fox looks more lost than a tourist in Times Square, and Lindgren... well, bless his heart, he's trying. But the cracks are there, folks, gaping chasms waiting to swallow any semblance of playoff aspirations.

And don't even get me started on the power play. A unit that makes watching paint dry seem like an Olympic sport. Passes sailing past sticks like rogue shopping carts on Fifth Avenue, shots that wouldn't hit a barn door from inside the building, and creativity as scarce as decent seats at the Garden. Yet, the wins keep coming, a testament to the Rangers' offensive firepower, not their defensive prowess.

So let's celebrate these victories, Ranger fans, but with a cautious optimism, a side-eye of skepticism. Because under the shiny veneer of recent success lies the same old nitpicking flaws, the same leaky defense, the same inconsistent offense. Enjoy the ride, but don't get too comfortable. This winning streak is as fragile as a New Year's resolution, one bad game away from shattering back into a million frustrating pieces. And when that happens, remember, we were the ones who saw the cracks all along. We, the annoyingly realistic ones, the fans who love the Rangers enough to point out their flaws, because a true fan knows, sometimes the greatest love comes with the loudest groans.
Who let the Devils fan in here?

• Haha
Reactions: Jauffre

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
It's not just guys thrown on that line--example Gauthier that we don't know what else to do with. The guys we have there now take pride in shutting down other lines, they can all pk, buzz, grind, hit, block shots, get in the way and they at least to me seem to be gelling and getting better at working together to be a nightmare when put against scoring lines.
lmao how is this guy STILL catching strays??? I think I’d nominate him for most unnecessarily hated Ranger ever

Reactions: UnSandvich

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

View attachment 787818View attachment 787820

To be honest I think this is the kind of player that a lot of us thought Vesey needed to be once it became clear he wasn't exactly going to translate his college success right to the NHL. Not a top six scorer flash and dash player, but round out his game and use the skill he does have to be opportunistic and otherwise play solid all over the ice. Great for him that he found that niche.

I popped over to the main boards and Wings fans are talking up Kane like he's been amazing for them, his skating is fantastic, etc

lmao how is this guy STILL catching strays??? I think I’d nominate him for most unnecessarily hated Ranger ever
I liked Gauthier! But after several years it was clear that he was missing something that would translate into consistent production despite the chances he could create. Maybe a bit like Vesey he needs to find a way to round out and refocus his game to be a valuable contributor in all parts of the ice instead of viewing himself as a temporarily inconvenienced top six scorer

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
How come the Panarin PP goal wasn't disallowed? There was a distinct kicking motion by the Toronto defensemen. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: kovazub94

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
......And don't even get me started on the power play. A unit that makes watching paint dry seem like an Olympic sport. Passes sailing past sticks like rogue shopping carts on Fifth Avenue, shots that wouldn't hit a barn door from inside the building, and creativity as scarce as decent seats at the Garden. Yet, the wins keep coming, a testament to the Rangers' offensive firepower, not their defensive prowess.
A PP not as exciting as watching paint dry? I think you might be better served writing greeting cards for Hallmark.

"Sorry for your loss,... His good nature and gentle spirit will be surely missed like long walks in a brackish swamp."

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A PP not as exciting as watching paint dry? I think you might be better served writing greeting cards for Hallmark.

"Sorry for your loss,... His good nature and gentle spirit will be surely missed like long walks in a brackish swamp."
very clearly was written by one of the LLM's (I refuse to call them AI's at this point) using some prompt

Reactions: Jauffre

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I liked Gauthier! But after several years it was clear that he was missing something that would translate into consistent production despite the chances he could create. Maybe a bit like Vesey he needs to find a way to round out and refocus his game to be a valuable contributor in all parts of the ice instead of viewing himself as a temporarily inconvenienced top six scorer
Gauthier was already a good 4th liner. Drew a ton of penalties, had amazing transition ability, and last year was scoring goals at a high rate too despite awful linemates and healthy scratches. He even hit more than anyone other than Blais if you’re into that stuff.

It just goes to show how much a players reputation dictates their opportunity. Bonino has the gritty/grinder reputation so it’s acceptable if he goes out there and does nothing other than plod around behind the play, meanwhile Gauthier has to be Rocket Richard to stay in the lineup

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think if Gauthier was looked as more defensively responsible or able to PK then he'd be valued more highly. Bonino is valued because of his faceoff ability and penalty killing. It's kinda dumb, but still...you work within the boundaries of what you're given.
So long as Gauthier is trying to play like an offense first top six guy while on the fourth line and can't convince coaches he should be on the PK, he's going to have trouble finding a stable roster spot. If he can manage the whole "show effort all over the ice but especially the defensive zone and backcheck hard and show enthusiasm for learning positionign and penalty killing" it will augment his transition skills

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think if Gauthier was looked as more defensively responsible or able to PK then he'd be valued more highly. Bonino is valued because of his faceoff ability and penalty killing. It's kinda dumb, but still...you work within the boundaries of what you're given.
So long as Gauthier is trying to play like an offense first top six guy while on the fourth line and can't convince coaches he should be on the PK, he's going to have trouble finding a stable roster spot. If he can manage the whole "show effort all over the ice but especially the defensive zone and backcheck hard and show enthusiasm for learning positionign and penalty killing" it will augment his transition skills

Once Gauthier realizes he’s Tyler Pitlick and not Chris Kreider he’ll have a 15 year NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad