Grades so far?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That a complete load of Pou, it's all the off-season hate of people who didn't even want him on the team carrying over into the regular season. Fans who so badly wanted to be correct with all their off-season ranting that they couldn't even see how well he was playing right infront of their face. People like you are willing to ignore that he created the second goal for the Oilers entirely on his own to try and prove a point and then act like no other Dman has made a similar play this season, or that our much vaunted top pairing made even worse plays on the first goal.

Now that Nurse has had very solid performances in every game since the Buffalo one he is just starting to get some respect. But posters like yourself would "give him a 4", while constantly wishing we still had Marincin in the lineup instead.

I love how you call my post BS and yet you fabricate a tale, or yarn if you will, based on... me liking Marincin when he played here 2 years ago?

I had no prepreseason expectations of Nurse. I based my evaluation completely on his play in preseason and then the regular season so far. I think its safe to say you have some preconception of how good Nurse is and will not let that go.

The only guy I thought that had a solid camp that would be slotted in the 5 through 8 spots was Davidson and he was not amazing on his offside and he got injured quick. Everyone else in that group was hot garbage. Osterle & Gyrba were the 2 guys I think should have been playing based off preseason/history and then also Nurses first 6 games.

This whole response by you is kind of moot because I did actually give him a 6 and stated he was trending up. Not my fault you are the only one who thinks he deserves a 10.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think people are arguing over personal definitions here.

What would you have Larsson then? do you think Larsson and Nurse deserve the same grade. I evaluate based on team impact. And for me Larsson will get a higher grade than Nurse because he does it against tougher comp

Using his example. If I had to take 2 kids, 1 kid in grade 10 (taking grade 10 math) and one kid in grade 12 (taking grade 12 math), id evaluate the grade 12 kid as smarter. Even if they were getting similar grades in their respective class

Sure the kid in grade 12 is smarter, but they are both excelling in the same fashion, is he actually doing any better? No he isn't.

How can you grade a player out of 10 when the highest possible score you'll ever give him would be a 6 or 7?

Does that mean that a kid in grade 8 math cannot possibly achieve a passing grade no matter if he gets 100% on everything?

Context...it's useful when doing evaluations.

McDavid has been the best player in the league. Do people expect him to score 3 points a game? To never get held pointless? His wingers have been crap just as often as they've been decent/good. This is the NHL, he's the most dominant player in the league in his second season.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What would you have Larsson then?
I'd give him at least a 7. Maybe a bit more.
He's been better than I'd hoped for, but I've still seen him make some terrible plays.
Its hockey. Even good players don't play good all the time.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
McDavid- 9
Larsson-8
Klefbom-7
Russell-7
Lucic-5.5 (he had a good stretch of games and a bad stretch)
RNH-6
Nurse-6.5
Drasaitl-5
Maroon-5.5
Kassian-5.5
Eberle-5
Lander - 4.5 (wins faceoffs, plays a great PK)
Pitlick-5.5
Letestu - 5.5
Sekera-5
Pouliot-4
Gryba-3

Talbot-10

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I love how you call my post BS and yet you fabricate a tale, or yarn if you will, based on... me liking Marincin when he played here 2 years ago?

I had no prepreseason expectations of Nurse. I based my evaluation completely on his play in preseason and then the regular season so far. I think its safe to say you have some preconception of how good Nurse is and will not let that go.

The only guy I thought that had a solid camp that would be slotted in the 5 through 8 spots was Davidson and he was not amazing on his offside and he got injured quick. Everyone else in that group was hot garbage. Osterle & Gyrba were the 2 guys I think should have been playing based off preseason/history and then also Nurses first 6 games.

This whole response by you is kind of moot because I did actually give him a 6 and stated he was trending up. Not my fault you are the only one who thinks he deserves a 10.

Nurse had a vey good preseason. That can't be disputed. He got very good reviews and even those who didn't want him on the club this year said he played his way and won his spot.

You went on and on about Marincin all last season as well as this off season. "He's better than Klefbom" and such. You can try to call it a tale or what ever you wish but it's true.

BTW I gave Nurse a 7, not a 10 like the tale you're spinning.

Funny how you can say his first 6 games were hot garbage when before last game where he was clearly our best Dman he was also considered to be our best Dman in the game against Carolina when Fayne went down and Nurse played an expanded role and played awesome. For you to say that his games against Carolina and St.Louis were anything but good-great really shows your inability to judge a player at all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure I'd give Klefbom as high a number as I've seen on here. He's still feeling his way into the NHL game, despite his age. Larsson has done an awful lot to make him look good. That man is a beast. If Klefbom is a 7 rating, Larsson should be an 11.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Talbot-9
McDavid-8.5
Larsson-8
Russell-8
Nugent-Hopkins-8
Sekera-7.5
Nurse-7.5
Pitlick-7.5
Kassian-7
Maroon-7
Lander-7
Slepyshev-7
Pulju-7
Letestu-6.5
Klefbom-6.5
Pouliot-6.5
Gryba-6
Draisatl-6
Lucic-5.5
Eberle-5.5

This all relative to their potential. Obviously McDavid has been great, but he is as talented as anyone to come into the league since at least Crosby or maybe Doughty, so he has the potential to be appreciably better (he has had several off games, which is to be expected, but that's why he's not getting a 9 or better).

Larsson has been very solid from day one. The odd mistake from time to time, but that happens to all defencemen. It will be interesting to see if they ever try to include him on the PP.

Klefbom has disappointed me a bit as of late. He has all the tools to really take the next step and the partner to do it with, but he's been making a lot of mistakes lately. He's still extremely important to this team, but his game can elevate considerably.

I think Nugent-Hopkins has been our best player over the last 5-6 games. He has taken his game to the next level defensively, improved his faceoffs, and is now generating offense, as well. Very solid two-way play.

Draisatl has been disappointing, but he is streaky, and I'm not too concerned.

Lucic is miscast as McDavid's winger, I think. He is more suited to play with Draisatl or Nugent-Hopkins, and he'll be more effective in either of those two roles. When Eberle isn't scoring or creating, he's a liability, plain and simple.

Pouliot's play has picked up lately. He's a very useful player when he's on, and him and Nugent-Hopkins have picked their games up. I think he's clearly the best LWer to play with McDavid.

Russell has been playing above himself and I think we're starting to see him come back down to earth. Sekera has been very solid and dependable, as well, but I see him as the better defenceman than Russell, so he gets the lower grade considering how much Russell has elevated his game.

Nurse has been very solid on the bottom pairing. Very nice progress so far. When Davidson gets back I expect him to look even better.

Lander is doing everything asked of him and even chipping in a bit 5 on 5.

Letestu had a really nice start, but has been weak over the last few games.

Pitlick had a great start. He has made a few mistakes as of late, but on the 4th line, his speed, physicality, and half decent hands are a good thing to have.

Puljujarvi has picked it up quite a bit. He still looks lost out there at times, but he is making clear progress which is encouraging. He's going to have a great all around skillset by the time he's 20.

Slepyshev really impressed me in his limited role. It's a shame there isn't a lot of room for him to draw in (I'm also not sure if he's been injured or not).

Gryba has mostly done what has been asked of him. He's a dependable 7/8, but I do get nervous whenever the puck is on his stick.

I've liked Kassian's play for the most part. Some boneheaded plays at our blueline, but he's been physical and showed his half-decent offensive abilities. If he keeps it up, then he's got a place on this team going forward without a doubt.

Maroon has been solid. He's not playing above himself, but he's delivering right about what he should be.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
There is not a defenceman in this league who does not make mistakes, in pretty much every game. Even the elite defencemen does it. Crucifying Larsson for not being perfect is pretty harsh considering the fact that he's only 23, just moved to a new team and system - while not even being a #1 defenceman (yet).

Not everyone can or will be like Lidstrom.

in fact. Noone is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There is not a defenceman in this league who does not make mistakes, in pretty much every game. Even the elite defencemen does it. Crucifying Larsson for not being perfect is pretty harsh considering the fact that he's only 23, just moved to a new team and system - while not even being a #1 defenceman (yet).

Not everyone can or will be like Lidstrom.

in fact. Noone is.

Guess I must have someone on ignore, I didn't see anyone crucify him, didn't see anyone says anything negative either.

If your statement applies to anyone it would be those who criticize Nurse for skating the puck out of danger and dumping it in instead of trying to go coast to coast. Then they yell about how he has no hockey IQ for making the smart/safe play.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse had a vey good preseason. That can't be disputed. He got very good reviews and even those who didn't want him on the club this year said he played his way and won his spot.

You went on and on about Marincin all last season as well as this off season. "He's better than Klefbom" and such. You can try to call it a tale or what ever you wish but it's true.

BTW I gave Nurse a 7, not a 10 like the tale you're spinning.

Funny how you can say his first 6 games were hot garbage when before last game where he was clearly our best Dman he was also considered to be our best Dman in the game against Carolina when Fayne went down and Nurse played an expanded role and played awesome. For you to say that his games against Carolina and St.Louis were anything but good-great really shows your inability to judge a player at all.

It can and was disputed. Early and often.

Marincin was better than Klefbom 2 years ago. Last year not so much and a trip through my post history reinforces that. I think you are very confused and Marincin is not relevant to the current situation.

Your out to lunch on this one

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Guess I must have someone on ignore, I didn't see anyone crucify him, didn't see anyone says anything negative either.

If your statement applies to anyone it would be those who criticize Nurse for skating the puck out of danger and dumping it in instead of trying to go coast to coast. Then they yell about how he has no hockey IQ for making the smart/safe play.

Not applied to answers in this thread, but those from various GDT:s. :)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not applied to answers in this thread, but those from various GDT:s. :)

Ahh yeah. Fans tend to have the memory of a dog during the game day threads. It's not what have you done for me lately, it's what have you done for me this shift. All it takes is for Pitlick to fly the zone and Letestu lose a board battle and all of a sudden 10 people are yelling about Larsson not being able to make a simple play. Happens with every player. Like the number of fans who blamed Nurse for Davidson's goof up in the first game of the season.

Also remember there's still a lot of people who are so mad about Hall being traded that they'll take any opportunity to rag on Larsson that is presented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad