Grades so far?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid- 9
Larsson-7
Klefbom-7
Russell-6.5
Lucic-6.5 (he had a good stretch of games and a bad stretch)
RNH-6
Nurse-5.5
Drasaitl-5
Maroon-5
Kassian-5
Eberle-5
Pitlick-5 (although exceeded expectations)
Sekera-5
Pouliot-4
Gryba-4

Talbot-9.9
Lander-4 (but trending up)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McDavid - 9
Eberle - 6.5
Lucic - 6.5

McDavid has been driving the line. He creates a ton of chances. Wish he would shoot more. Think Eberle been more competitive this year but production is down. Think Lucic is still valuable to this team. Think he probably helps in the dressing room. But production could be more.

RNH - 7
Pou - 5.5
Kassian - 6

RNH has been really good defensively. Makes too much to only be a checking line. Linemates arent helping him all that much. I think Kassian has played his role well, and is doing what is being asked from him.

Draitsatl - 5.5
Maroon - 6.5
Pulju - 5

Draitsatl has been dissapointing I think. Just not doing enough out there. Seems a little too complacent. Maroon plays his role well. Pulju has looked good in stretches, looks clumsy with the puck alot of times but you can tell he thinks the game pretty well and knows where he should be.

Letestu - 7
Pitlick - 6.5
Lander - 5.5

Have lower expectations for fourth line and think they have been better than expected.

Larsson - 7.5
Klefbom - 7

Really like Larssons calmness on back end. His grit has surprised me. Was hoping he would have a bit more offense. I think Klefbom has looked like the best dman on the oilers in games, but hes also had a few too many gaffes with the puck.

Sekera - 6.5
Russell - 6.5

I think both Sekera and Russell have been pretty solid.

Nurse - 6
Gryba - 5

Nurse been really good last few games after a shaky start.

Talbot -9

Outside of Buffalo game he has been really good. Been very strong the last few games.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Grading 1-10.

5 is just barely acceptable for their role on the team, lower is a fail, and 7 or higher being helping towards being a playoff team.

McDavid- 9
Lucic- 8
Eberle- 6

RNH- 7
Kassian- 7
Pouliot- 6

Drasaitl- 6
Maroon- 7
JP/Slepy- 5

Letestu- 7
Lander- 7
Pitlick- 8

Larsson- 8
Klefbom- 6

Sekera- 7
Russell- 8

Nurse- 6 (trending up)
Gryba- 5 (trending down)

Talbot- 9
Monster- NA

No one getting a fail. Everyone at least keeping their head above water and no repeat goats. Feels weird not to have at least one guy who is playing so bad I want him off the team.

Late Edit: We are currently the second best team in the league and tops in the West at this point. I think the grades should somewhat reflect that as well.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse has been one of the best players on the club in his role, yet he almost gets a failing grade or at least a poor grade from almost every poster. He leads the defense in goals, leads in most entry/exit stats, has played tough, hasn't taken a single bad penalty yet, and is the best Dman penalty killer on the #2 ranked PK in the league.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse has been one of the best players on the club in his role, yet he almost gets a failing grade or at least a poor grade from almost every poster. He leads the defense in goals, leads in most entry/exit stats, has played tough, hasn't taken a single bad penalty yet, and is the best Dman penalty killer on the #2 ranked PK in the league.

Context. Nurse is playing on 3rd pairing in easier minutes. Larsson and Klefbom are doing it against top lines. A good performance from Nurse and a good performance by Larsson arent equal. In his role Nurse gets like a 7 or 8. But for actual impacts on team its a 5.5. Only so much impact you can have on 3rd pairing

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
McDavid - 9
Eberle - 6.5
Lucic - 6.5

McDavid has been driving the line. He creates a ton of chances. Wish he would shoot more. Think Eberle been more competitive this year but production is down. Think Lucic is still valuable to this team. Think he probably helps in the dressing room. But production could be more.

RNH - 7
Pou - 5.5
Kassian - 6

RNH has been really good defensively. Makes too much to only be a checking line. Linemates arent helping him all that much. I think Kassian has played his role well, and is doing what is being asked from him.

Draitsatl - 5.5
Maroon - 6.5
Pulju - 5

Draitsatl has been dissapointing I think. Just not doing enough out there. Seems a little too complacent. Maroon plays his role well. Pulju has looked good in stretches, looks clumsy with the puck alot of times but you can tell he thinks the game pretty well and knows where he should be.

Letestu - 7
Pitlick - 6.5
Lander - 5.5

Have lower expectations for fourth line and think they have been better than expected.

Larsson - 7.5
Klefbom - 7

Really like Larssons calmness on back end. His grit has surprised me. Was hoping he would have a bit more offense. I think Klefbom has looked like the best dman on the oilers in games, but hes also had a few too many gaffes with the puck.

Sekera - 6.5
Russell - 6.5

I think both Sekera and Russell have been pretty solid.

Nurse - 6
Gryba - 5

Nurse been really good last few games after a shaky start.

Talbot -9

Outside of Buffalo game he has been really good. Been very strong the last few games.

I'm really close to these numbers.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Only if you ignore the first 6 games or so where he was one of the worst Oiler's on the ice and only playing against bottom pairing/sheltered minutes. I only decided to give him a 6 last second before I hit Post because his last couple games he has been significantly better... while also being the goat on the second goal against in the Toronto game in a very big way.

Posts like this make me wish I had given him a 4, because if you look at his game over the full 10 we have played so far, there has technically been more bad games than good. If ever so slightly.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think nearly every player has played pretty well upto this point. There are some players that you wish had better numbers but I think its the first time in a long time that no one is really a liability or are making the club worse. Alot of players are playing their roles very well. We are not a perfect team but we are a competitive team. We havent been able to say that for a long time.

If anything the one thing that is really hurting this team is the powerplay. Its painfully frustrating to watch. It kills their 5v5 momentum. And I think if it was effective, we might see teams take less holding penalties on McDavid and company.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Only if you ignore the first 6 games or so where he was one of the worst Oiler's on the ice and only playing against bottom pairing/sheltered minutes. I only decided to give him a 6 last second before I hit Post because his last couple games he has been significantly better... while also being the goat on the second goal against in the Toronto game in a very big way.

Posts like this make me wish I had given him a 4, because if you look at his game over the full 10 we have played so far, there has technically been more bad games than good. If ever so slightly.

That a complete load of Pou, it's all the off-season hate of people who didn't even want him on the team carrying over into the regular season. Fans who so badly wanted to be correct with all their off-season ranting that they couldn't even see how well he was playing right infront of their face. People like you are willing to ignore that he created the second goal for the Oilers entirely on his own to try and prove a point and then act like no other Dman has made a similar play this season, or that our much vaunted top pairing made even worse plays on the first goal.

Now that Nurse has had very solid performances in every game since the Buffalo one he is just starting to get some respect. But posters like yourself would "give him a 4", while constantly wishing we still had Marincin in the lineup instead.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Context. Nurse is playing on 3rd pairing in easier minutes. Larsson and Klefbom are doing it against top lines. A good performance from Nurse and a good performance by Larsson arent equal. In his role Nurse gets like a 7 or 8. But for actual impacts on team its a 5.5. Only so much impact you can have on 3rd pairing

He is the top Dman on the PK? Which is 2nd in the league. How's that for context?

Context would mean that you are judging him based on his role and opportunities. Does every student in grade 10 get a failing grade because the content they are learning isn't as difficult as people in grade 12?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He is the top Dman on the PK? Which is 2nd in the league. How's that for context?

Context would mean that you are judging him based on his role and opportunities. Does every student in grade 10 get a failing grade because the content they are learning isn't as difficult as people in grade 12?

That gets him some love yes. Even tho Talbot has been playing absolutely unreal on PK. The PK has almost league worst shots against.

My 5.5 is by no means a failing grade. I actually really like Nurse this year and I am probably most vocal about it. However my grades are for how much theyve impacted the teams success. I quiet frankly dont think anyone in a bottom line position can impact team that much in that role. No matter how good they look. Unless ofcourse they are scoring alot. Its not a knock on them, they cant help where they play. But grades have to be relative. Guys playing toughest minutes do the most for the team

A guy getting a 95% in grade 10 math is not same as guy getting 70% in University Calculus

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
My grades are relative to the expectation I had on the player going into the season:

Lucic 4
McDavid 6
Eberle 5
Pouliot 4
RNH 5
Kassian 5
Maroon 5
Draisaitl 5
Puljujarvi 5
Lander 5
Letestu 6
Pitlick 6

Klefbom 6
Larsson 6
Russell 6
Sekera 5
Nurse 7
Gryba 5

Talbot 8

Most players have played at roughly at the level I would have expected. Talbot and Nurse are the two that sticks out in my mind when it comes to performing above my expectations.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
My grades are relative to the expectation I had on the player going into the season:

Lucic 4
McDavid 6
Eberle 5
Pouliot 4
RNH 5
Kassian 5
Maroon 5
Draisaitl 5
Puljujarvi 5
Lander 5
Letestu 6
Pitlick 6

Klefbom 6
Larsson 6
Russell 6
Sekera 5
Nurse 7
Gryba 5

Talbot 8

Most players have played at roughly at the level I would have expected. Talbot and Nurse are the two that sticks out in my mind when it comes to performing above my expectations.

Your expectations must have been ridiculous :laugh:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Excellent point! Evaluation is contingent on your performance, not who you do it against in the this league. His leading this D in points and a lot of other metrics. his goal against Toronto got us out of that game with a point in the standings. Let him give him a 4 all he wants it's his opinion. Doesn't change the fact that the kid has been playing good for us the majority of this season and will be a force for us very soon.

Note that people get hung up on the 3rd pairing thing, but at times you'll find he'll go up against the top lines because of line matching on the road.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Lucic 4
McDavid 6
Eberle 5
Pouliot 4
RNH 5
Kassian 5
Maroon 5
Draisaitl 5
Puljujarvi 5
Lander 5
Letestu 6
Pitlick 6

Klefbom 6
Larsson 6
Russell 6
Sekera 5
Nurse 7
Gryba 5

Talbot 8

Damn, those are some crazy expectations when McDavid, Larsson, Russell, Pitlick and Letestu get average grades. You were really expecting those guys to be much better than they have been considering their roles?

One player who I have no problem giving a failing grade to is Pouliot. He has been a big bag of Pou all season and even the 2 goals were complete flukes. Can't think of any other player who has underachieved. I guess Sekera has been disappointing especially as of late.

Talbot (after the early struggles), McDavid, Larsson, Russell, Pitlick and Letestu have all been great in their roles. Lander has been good too. All the others have been pretty average with lots of ups and downs. Oh and Gustavsson gets a 10, just look at that save percentage.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Your expectations must have been ridiculous :laugh:
The actual results are like a 9 on my scale. ;)

I just don't think the performances have matched the results so far. Oilers are running above expectation, and we'll see a correction in the actual results going forward.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The actual results are like a 9 on my scale. ;)

I just don't think the performances have matched the results so far. Oilers are running above expectation, and we'll see a correction in the actual results going forward.

So if the players are playing beyond expectations now are they all going to get failing grades when the team isn't getting 15 out of a possible 20 points anymore?

You do realize that you gave the the best player in the league for the first month of the season a 6/10. A the team is now 4th in GF, almost exclusively scored by forwards, yet you give them all ****** grades?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McDavid- 9.5
Larsson-7.5
Klefbom-6.5
Russell-7
Lucic-6.5
RNH-6.5
Nurse-7
Letestu-7
Lander-6
Drasaitl-6
Maroon-6
Kassian-6
:] - 6
Eberle-6 (8 for the first 5 games, 4 for the last 5 games)
Pitlick-6.5
Sekera-6
Pouliot-4.5
Gryba-5

Talbot-9

This is grading the player based on the roles they have been put in. The success that most of them have had in their roles has led the team to having a good record.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
A guy getting a 95% in grade 10 math is not same as guy getting 70% in University Calculus
Yeah. That's what he said.
You argue for context and then refuse to take it into consideration? Seems weird.

I would give Nurse a solid 6.5 trending toward a 7.

And sorry, but McDavid does not deserve a 9 or a 9.5 like some people are grading him here.

Most important grade ... Talbot 8.5.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
So if the players are playing beyond expectations now are they all going to get failing grades when the team isn't getting 15 out of a possible 20 points anymore?
No, why would they? I just don't equate the performances with the results.

You do realize that you gave the the best player in the league for the first month of the season a 6/10. A the team is now 4th in GF, almost exclusively scored by forwards, yet you give them all ****** grades?
I expected McDavid to be be one of the best players in the league and he's performing like that, hence the pretty average grade for him relative to my expectation.

As for the other forwards, I'm seeing some unsustainable results, but no one has performed much different than I'd have expected.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Surprised at how many people are giving Mcdavid a 9. He just hasn't been as dominant as he can be and has been shutdown by the likes of Gorges, Kadri and Methot this season. He's been good but has another level in him that he isn't showing. After the first two games of the he season he had 6 points. He's had 6 points in the next 8 games. I would give him something closer to 8 than 9.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah. That's what he said.
You argue for context and then refuse to take it into consideration? Seems weird.

I would give Nurse a solid 6.5 trending toward a 7.

And sorry, but McDavid does not deserve a 9 or a 9.5 like some people are grading him here.

Most important grade ... Talbot 8.5.

I think people are arguing over personal definitions here.

What would you have Larsson then? do you think Larsson and Nurse deserve the same grade. I evaluate based on team impact. And for me Larsson will get a higher grade than Nurse because he does it against tougher comp

Using his example. If I had to take 2 kids, 1 kid in grade 10 (taking grade 10 math) and one kid in grade 12 (taking grade 12 math), id evaluate the grade 12 kid as smarter. Even if they were getting similar grades in their respective class

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad