• F

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not even close to accurate. He might actually be the second fastest guy on the team behind Krieder.
Huh? Zib, Chytil, Trocheck, Miller, Lindgren, etc.

But even if true, that’s potentially the worst indictment of this team’s speed that I have seen in a sea of them.

You can argue with me about the importance of how fast he is but you can’t argue with me that he is fast.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Russia, Russia, Russia…

Thats how narratives work.

Wheeler is fine. Most of the comments here are from people who maybe saw him play one game last year. Same with Quick. When you live in the west, you see a different hockey universe.
we will see. I think as a bad skater he will stand out on a team with other bad skaters. Can we hide him as well as Winnipeg did? Hard to say. They have some guys that can move and they have more size than the Rangers do so I just don’t know. Also don’t like that he was a captain and REALLY don’t like that his goal scoring has cratered. He’s in free fall. Again it’s hard to complain about guys coming in for six figures, but this team needed to get faster and didn’t. It reminds me of the Mets off-season that’s not a compliment.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Look, Drury didn't have much to work with. He created this mess by trading for Goodrow 2 years ago. And giving Fox 9.5m on a 2nd contract.

Considering the situation he put himself in, he did a good job.

Erik Gustafsson is a potential steal.

Wheeler is good, and not as slow as people think he is.

Ultimately, the improvements have to come from the coaching staff squeezing more out of the same group Gallant had. I think that is definitely possible.

Laviolette is a great mentor to the assistants Peca and Muse, who are "new kids on the block" in terms of coaching. And they have head coaching potential. Don't be surprised if one of these is Laviolette's successor.

Phil Housley did a great job in Nashville with Josi, Ekholm, Ellis and others, and then did it again with guys like Chychrun in Arizona. Defensively we could see some serious improvements. Remember how different our defense was under Jacques Martin? Should never have let him go, but here we are. Housley is a good option for that.

Muse is a masterful tactician. EXACTLY what we need. And Peca is really exciting too.

Other teams around us got better personnel-wise on the ice. We got better personnel-wise behind the bench, already having the personnel to get us to where we want to be. This is the best Drury could have done on day 1 of free agency.

And with Miller signed, they will have 8 D-men on the roster including Mackie and Harpur.

Only 2 of Jones, Robertson, Harpur, Mackie, Gustafsson will be on the roster with the core 5 (Fox, lindgren, Miller, Schneider, Trouba).
I'm still hoping they find a way to move Goodrow.

That contract is awful.

Reactions: surlysailor

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Goodrow could still be an in season trade if they want cap for someone who might become available etc

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Positional hockey. As people have said, you're only as fast as you move the puck.
iu

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's a B. Would be A if they had announced Miller or Laf extension. For me, they did pretty damn well in filling the holes with a limited budget. Wheeler is a steal.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Positional hockey. As people have said, you're only as fast as you move the puck.
This is of course true but to completely discount individual speed if folly. Positioning can help mitigate serious speed issues but what do you do against a team that is better at both?

There is a reason why the majority of modem NHLers peak in their mid to late twenties nowadays.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Probably a B again similar to the draft. If the depth contracts can stick all year and avoid the need to buy at the deadline, it looks even better. The makeup of this group is interesting for sure, and I think it has the potential to work well enough within a more structured system. Go back and watch how Vegas played last year: the puck never left the ice because they could keep executing short passes that kept the entire team moving forward and together with pace. Carolina breaks out the same way, but once they’re across the red line, it’s dump and chase with everyone blitzing you and their d basically being right above the circles. We need the emphasis more on control with this group.

Not sure how the forwards shake out, or if anyone has mentioned something similar, but I’d be intrigued by trying something like:

Lafreniére-Zibanejad-Wheeler
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Trocheck-Goodrow/Vesey
Goodrow/Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick
Belzille

I left out Othmann and Sykora on purpose here because I think a full year of HFD is what’s best for those two, and the top-6 spots are there’s for the taking.

Reactions: 426ers

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
This is of course true but to completely discount individual speed if folly. Positioning can help mitigate serious speed issues but what do you do against a team that is better at both?

There is a reason why the majority of modem NHLers peak in their mid to late twenties nowadays.
Of course you want to be fast at both. I am only repeating others that speed alone doesn't win championships. And what to do against a fast everything opponent, you find a way to equalize the playing field. I'm not ashamed of Lavi using the left wing lock to muck up a game.

Reactions: Synergy27

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not sure I see a downside to any of the signings as any of them can get sent to the minors

If they get claimed on the way down, oh well. So be it.

Reactions: Ruggs225

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
In a vacuum the signings were fine. Remains to be seen how they'll be used. If they're role players buried behind the kids and not the other way around then good.

Reactions: its josh

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
we will see. I think as a bad skater he will stand out on a team with other bad skaters. Can we hide him as well as Winnipeg did? Hard to say. They have some guys that can move and they have more size than the Rangers do so I just don’t know. Also don’t like that he was a captain and REALLY don’t like that his goal scoring has cratered. He’s in free fall. Again it’s hard to complain about guys coming in for six figures, but this team needed to get faster and didn’t. It reminds me of the Mets off-season that’s not a compliment.
Hide him? Goal scoring cratered? How many games have you actually watched him play? He's a 6'5" 220lb still productive RW that plays with an edge. He has never been a huge goal scorer in the first place. His goal scoring the last 5 years is 20 in 82 games, 22 in 71, 15 in 50, 17 in 65, and last year 16 in 72. That's pretty consistent. Not bad for 1 year 800k.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hide him? Goal scoring cratered? How many games have you actually watched him play? He's a 6'5" 220lb still productive RW that plays with an edge. He has never been a huge goal scorer in the first place. His goal scoring the last 5 years is 20 in 82 games, 22 in 71, 15 in 50, 17 in 65, and last year 16 in 72. That's pretty consistent. Not bad for 1 year 800k.
I’m not going to argue about this anymore, but no I am not impressed by a right winger that’s gone over 20 goals once in five years coming to a team allergic to shooting the puck. I hope I’m wrong. I’ll believe it when I see it

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m not going to argue about this anymore, but no I am not impressed by a right winger that’s gone over 20 goals once in five years coming to a team allergic to shooting the puck. I hope I’m wrong. I’ll believe it when I see it
You said his goal scoring cratered. You are wrong. I simply pointed out that his numbers have been very consistent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You said his goal scoring cratered. You are wrong. I simply pointed out that his numbers have been very consistent.
I mean he went from averaging around 26 goals a season the previous five year same to around 18 this five year same. He isn’t getting Yo7 ng er and his physical tools aren’t getting better. The assist numbers are way down too. He 8th getting PP1 time here either. But again in a vacuum none of this is bad for a Six figure signing. But this team still got older and slower. That is an issue

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
wait wait wait

did I just see someone complain that Fox was given a $9.5 mill per contract and say it like it's a bad thing?

That is a great deal for a top 3 in the league D and anyone trying to hedge around why they think Fox isn't a top D has lost it

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
wait wait wait

did I just see someone complain that Fox was given a $9.5 mill per contract and say it like it's a bad thing?

That is a great deal for a top 3 in the league D and anyone trying to hedge around why they think Fox isn't a top D has lost it
Some really bad takes on this board. I'm not surprised by anything I read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad