GDT: Grab a date! Your New Jersey Devils vs. the Wild, 8pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They don't ask how, they just ask how many.

I don't care how dirty the goals we are scoring are, as long as we are scoring them.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Are we really debating the goals we scored last night, as if we aren't worthy of it or something. Like Eddy said, a bunch of masochists. :laugh: Can't we just be happy for once.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Are we really debating the goals we scored last night, as if we aren't worthy of it or something. Like Eddy said, a bunch of masochists. :laugh: Can't we just be happy for once.

It's a nice change from debating the ones we give up at least :sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At any seam, like under the arm, or five hole, or just above the pad, placement and power of shot can overcome good positioning.

Sure you can post a picture of Cory in a suit talking about how to hug a post, maybe Dubnyk has seen it given he is in similar position to the latter of the 2 shots, but your not saying what he should have done different.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
At any seam, like under the arm, or five hole, or just above the pad, placement and power of shot can overcome good positioning.

Sure you can post a picture of Cory in a suit talking about how to hug a post, maybe Dubnyk has seen it given he is in similar position to the latter of the 2 shots, but your not saying what he should have done different.

Hug the post better. I really don't understand how it's such a difficult concept lmao

NHL goalies, Dubnyk especially, are big enough and skilled enough to cover the post there without leaving any holes. He didn't there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hug the post better. I really don't understand how it's such a difficult concept lmao

NHL goalies, Dubnyk especially, are big enough and skilled enough to cover the post there without leaving any holes. He didn't there.
Edit: why post the Cory in a suit pics if your answer was "hug the post better"?

IMO He had good position. He was tight on the post. Looking at replays Im not seeing the hole. Did he have great position? Maybe not. Was it perfect? Given the result I'll give that a definitive no.

So if a goalie is not positioned perfectly, or perhaps if he does not have great position, and a wide open player 3 feet away one times it through who knows where, it's soft? I say no.

A great shot can beat good positioning. Does not make it a bad goal.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Edit: why post the Cory in a suit pics if your answer was "hug the post better"?

IMO He had good position. He was tight on the post. Looking at replays Im not seeing the hole. Did he have great position? Maybe not. Was it perfect? Given the result I'll give that a definitive no.

So if a goalie is not positioned perfectly, or perhaps if he does not have great position, and a wide open player 3 feet away one times it through who knows where, it's soft? I say no.

A great shot can beat good positioning. Does not make it a bad goal.

Because I wanted a friendly face to help out lol... fine, here

reverse-VH.jpg

There you go, there's no room to score there aside from upstairs. But even then thanks to geometry it'd be very difficult - near impossible - to score there when you're in tight like Palms was.

Whatever I'm done this is actually ridiculous. Didn't think I'd spend so much time arguing against our own goal but it boggles my mind how it's not considered a bad goal by some.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Palmieri goal was definitely stoppable at best, pretty bad at worst.

But it's not like we (and other teams) don't score goals that are stoppable on the goaltender. We probably score quite a few less, as we don't score much at all to begin with.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
you see no holes there? just above the toe? over the shoulder? And who is to say that a well placed rip doesn't sneak through between the glove and hip?

Not to mention that guy is posing for a picture as opposed to playing in game.

But it was better then cory in a suit.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
you see no holes there? just above the toe? over the shoulder? And who is to say that a well placed rip doesn't sneak through between the glove and hip?

Not to mention that guy is posing for a picture as opposed to playing in game.

But it was better then cory in a suit.

you win man, great goal by palms absolutely nothing dubnyk could do

let's move on

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique's goal reminded me of his goal in game 5 of the SCF on Quick.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sure, let's go another three pages on arguing over how "good" a goal we scored was.:P

That was actually a singular point in the larger argument of whether we were fortunate to win last night.

lucky shot or not(it wasn't:nod:) we still outplayed a good wild team on their home ice in that 3rd period.

It was a rather encouraging win.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There you go, there's no room to score there aside from upstairs. But even then thanks to geometry it'd be very difficult - near impossible - to score there when you're in tight like Palms was.

Whatever I'm done this is actually ridiculous. Didn't think I'd spend so much time arguing against our own goal but it boggles my mind how it's not considered a bad goal by some.

Just as a general statement, it's a bit foolish to compare someone posing with time and space to get set-up versus a goalie having to go down to that position in a split-second with a forward 3 feet away from shooting at him right after he received a pass from the goal line.

I don't want to regurgitate this argument, but the Devils finally seem like they are getting themselves into scoring areas where the goalie can't already be set and prepared for the shot. They're moving the puck around, going left and right, and finding holes in the coverage because they are finally winning board battles. It's allowing them to move the puck with space and time and allowing other guys to get open.

Hall sending the puck across the ice to a streaking Henrique, Coleman feeding a cutting Bennett in the slot, Palmieri with the cross-ice pass to Zacha, and even Cammalleri feeding Palmieri streaking to the net from below the goal line. All four cause the goalie to move and readjust which is when you typically open up the goalie, even if it is the smallest gaps like the Palmieri goal.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I doubt Palms picked any hole there. He just shot the damn thing and it found a way in.

Exactly. Anyone who claims Palmieri was picking a spot on that goal hasn't played much hockey. He just put the puck on net and it found a way in.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Exactly. Anyone who claims Palmieri was picking a spot on that goal hasn't played much hockey. He just put the puck on net and it found a way in.

Yeah, I'll disagree, good players have a spot in mind. He may not have seen daylight, but he was clearly not going high corner there, I'll assume he was trying to avoid the center of the goalies chest. Again not sure how it even went it, but I'm guessing he was trying either just above the pad, or under it. A 30 goal scorer just whacking blindly on a one timer with no defender near them? Nah.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I'll disagree, good players have a spot in mind. He may not have seen daylight, but he was clearly not going high corner there, I'll assume he was trying to avoid the center of the goalies chest. Again not sure how it even went it, but I'm guessing he was trying either just above the pad, or under it. A 30 goal scorer just whacking blindly on a one timer with no defender near them? Nah.

If you watch that goal and think Palmieri picked a spot, I don't know what to tell you. That's an extremely quick play where he's just putting the puck on net. He doesn't even look at the goalie. That's a quick one timer where you hope something good happens from a play behind the net. There's just no chance he picked a spot there. It's not even a borderline case.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really see how picked a spot either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad