GDT: Grab a date! Your New Jersey Devils vs. the Wild, 8pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
LOL! :laugh: Now goals are being rated? The fact that we were down 2-0, then 3-2 and came back, on the road, against the WC leaders makes me happy. I don't care how it was done. Imagine what this board would've been like if the game was like the Caps-Pens game the other night. ;)

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
LOL! :laugh: Now goals are being rated? The fact that we were down 2-0, then 3-2 and came back, on the road, against the WC leaders makes me happy. I don't care how it was done. Imagine what this board would've been like if the game was like the Caps-Pens game the other night. ;)

Hey, I'm really happy with the win. I just like to stay even keel and keep people in check.

When the team was ******** the bed, I was never claiming that we should fire Hynes or trade all our vets, as most of this board was doing.

At the same time I can acknowledge when we get a lucky win.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Also really enjoying this new powerplay set-up. Involves actual movement as opposed to standing still along the half-wall. And who knew, you can move around a lot easier when the opposition has 1 less guy than you!

That stagnation pissed me off more than anything. I swear in practice they must have set up dots on the ice in the offensive zone with numbers. Each guy was assigned a number, told to get to his number and stay there. It was awful. I understand that moving around means guys have to know when to cover the points and be more aware defensively, but it's the NHL. These guys should be able to handle that. It's not like the standing still PP was preventing shorthanded opportunities anyway. It's one thing to give up shorthanded chances if you're generating something offensively, but to give up shorthanded chances constantly while generating no chances on your PP is completely inexcusable regardless of the talent level of your players.

sorry so late to respond to this. read last night but have been sick as a dog and passed out lol.

They changed up the PP formation recently after all the struggles. They used to run a 2-1-2 most of the time and some overload as well, which are pretty standard vanilla PP setups. But my god Ive never seen a team run those systems so poorly. the lack of movement without the puck was a killer and we still letup a ton of shorthanded chances even though those are the "safer" setups.
We've now adjusted to the 1-3-1 which is probably the most dangerous threat to score but is also most risky since the lone point man is the last man with the puck, like the free saftey so to speak. I was a little worried about using that scheme, because it should run through said point man and he should be highly skilled with the puck, think a Karlsson or Subban. Clearly players we dont possess. But Stollerey has come in and actually done a real nice job there as has severson. Just dont want the puck getting hung up on the half wall in that setup which has happened from time to time. But Palmeri's pass through the box on that PP was just perfect execution of how dangerous it can be. I think we should stick with it, why the hell not :handclap:

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Some on our board thought the Henrique goal was a bad goal to let in.
I personally think it was a much better shot than it was a poor attempt of a save.

You can even check the Wild GDT if you don't believe me haha :).

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This "lucky" business again.

Dude get's a wide open one time rip from 3 feet out, but it's a "luck" goal?:shakehead

Yeah I just don't get it. A lucky goal would be if he banged it off a defenseman and it trickled in. He literally scored on a one timer from a few feet away without a defenseman in sight.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Some on our board thought the Henrique goal was a bad goal to let in.
I personally think it was a much better shot than it was a poor attempt of a save.

You can even check the Wild GDT if you don't believe me haha :).

We live in an age where if the goalie is not stopping 92% of the shots then we think he is doing it wrong.

Rico came in with a head of steam, had a wide open lane, and picked it top shelf. That's a skill goal.

In most cases of a non goal in a spot like that, shooter either puts it into the goalie's pads or shoots high and wide.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Yeah I just don't get it. A lucky goal would be if he banged it off a defenseman and it trickled in. He literally scored on a one timer from a few feet away without a defenseman in sight.

Don't get it either, It wasn't any more or less lucky than a majority of the goals teams score.

Devils were lucky they didn't give up a goal on that frantic sequence where it looked like the Wild had 3-4 open nets within seconds of each other. Other than that, there was nothing lucky about the Devils win last night.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
We live in an age where if the goalie is not stopping 92% of the shots then we think he is doing it wrong.

Rico came in with a head of steam, had a wide open lane, and picked it top shelf. That's a skill goal.

In most cases of a non goal in a spot like that, shooter either puts it into the goalie's pads or shoots high and wide.

So so true...
It really is sad because it often discredits the skill of the shooter.

The only goal I think Dubnyk should've had was the third one.
The fourth one was funny because I was like 'why is Suter just standing there and watching the puck'.
And at the last second you see Parise trying to challenge the shot. Too little too late!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'm not sure if Palm's saw day light there or not, but it was a one timer, he was in close, he was all alone, and he got all of it. Put those elements together and you have a pretty good chance of scoring.

And this is without considering if he saw a potential opening.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't understand what's so wrong about calling Palms' goal lucky or a bad goal by Dubnyk? I know for an absolute fact that Schneider would have been torn to shreds on here if he allowed that goal because it's happened for more difficult chances he let in. Palms was in tight, Dubnyk should have been covering his post more. There really is no excuse to let in a goal like that.

I mean I'm ecstatic he did but come on guys... lol

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not sure if Palm's saw day light there or not, but it was a one timer, he was in close, he was all alone, and he got all of it. Put those elements together and you have a pretty good chance of scoring.

And this is without considering if he saw a potential opening.

The thing I found interesting about it was how it went through Dubnyk. It went over the pad, under the glove right by the body. If Dubnyk had been wearing the ginormous pants it might not have gotten through.

We might see more goals like that now that the NHL has the rule in place.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm happy the team's playing better and the fans got an emotional lift out of the win. But yeah, "gutsy" is often a cute way of saying lucky.

Like everything with this team, last night was a mixed bag from a team play standpoint.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't understand what's so wrong about calling Palms' goal lucky or a bad goal by Dubnyk? I know for an absolute fact that Schneider would have been torn to shreds on here if he allowed that goal because it's happened for more difficult chances he let in. Palms was in tight, Dubnyk should have been covering his post more. There really is no excuse to let in a goal like that.

I mean I'm ecstatic he did but come on guys... lol

Most goals are lucky if that's a lucky goal. And I absolutely would not blast Cory if he let that in. Minnesota's defense deserves to be ripped more than Dubnyk.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Most goals are lucky if that's a lucky goal. And I absolutely would not blast Cory if he let that in. Minnesota's defense deserves to be ripped more than Dubnyk.

palmsgoal.png

Yea, their defense could have played it a little better but that's not exactly prime real estate they're giving up to a right handed shot. From where the shot left his stick is pretty much right before the goal line.

Am I crazy or something? How is that not a bad goal?? :laugh:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
palmsgoal.png

Yea, their defense could have played it a little better but that's not exactly prime real estate they're giving up to a right handed shot. From where the shot left his stick is pretty much right before the goal line.

https://streamable.com/1zabm?t=53.125426

This shows it better. It's a one timer from a few feet away with no one around. He got a ton on that shot.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Again, there's no excuse for Dubnyk not to be hugging that post properly. Just a bad goal and one he'd stop 9/10 times. I don't care how much Palms got on it.

lol whatever, go devils

He got so much on it from so close I honestly still can't tell where it squeaked through even in slow motion.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't ever kill a goalie on a one-timer, especially one that bang-bang. It's similiar to killing Cory for the goal Kreider scored at MSG last month. It just looks worse for Dubnyk cause of the angle but when you're not expecting the puck and it comes out there in less than a half second for a one-timer...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
palmsgoal.png

Again, we expect goalies to make every save. No matter how hard it's shot, how close or wide open the player is.

I've watched the play about 8 times in super slow mo, from multiple angles and I still don't know how it went in exactly. Thus I don't know what Dubnyk could have done different.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again, we expect goalies to make every save. No matter how hard it's shot, how close or wide open the player is.

I've watched the play about 8 times in super slow mo, from multiple angles and I still don't know how it went in exactly. Thus I don't know what Dubnyk could have done different.

And you know who else didn't know the puck went in? The ref :P That's a pretty good indicator it's a bang-bang play (even if the refs were a little sauced last night).

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Here's neighbourhood friend Cory Schneider to help explain!

What I personally prefer but seemingly is a less favoured option for NHL goalies is the VH method.

schneider1_medium.jpg

Obviously without full gear on it's hard to get a good idea but I wanted Schneider to teach us all lol. When the puck is coming from behind the net like it was on that play this may not be the best method but if done properly you can easily seal away all holes.

schneider3_medium.jpg

And here is the reverse VH which Dubnyk is using here. Obviously Schneider isn't showing it as well or as applicable to what happened last night but when you're upright and tight against the post you seal away all the holes as well.

I understand the play was bang-bang but Palms was literally the only outlet for Cammy there, at least the only outlet that Dubnyk had to be immediately concerned about. And Cammy was already behind the net, in most cases goalies are hugging the post already, sometimes in the butterfly, and ready to seal away any quick plays such as that one. At the NHL level it's just a bad goal.

Also, that's not even close to expecting the goalies make every save. I didn't say Henrique's or Beau's goals were bad because I don't think they were, just good shots that beat goalies sometimes. Not to say Palms wasn't a good shot but it's one that in the situation and position he was in on the ice should not have gone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad