GDT: Grab a date! Your New Jersey Devils vs. the Wild, 8pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Considering his eyes were facing away from the net the entire play, he would literally have to have eyes in the side/back of his head to pick a spot there.

Back of his head? Go back and watch the replay. Taking a look at the net would require a subtle eye movement.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I can't believe this is still an argument.

As a beer league goalie, I'll say this:
I hate trying to hug the post. It's difficult to ram yourself up in there for those quick short angle shots. I hate those shots more than any others. If you are the least bit out of the net, you have some other options, but if you are trying to get your shoulder there under the bar and try to position your pads - it sucks.

It would always take a split-second decision. For me, rather than one-knee-down butterfly, I'd go old-school and stay up and just slam my pads together standing up and make sure my stick was on the ice. Takes a lot of confidence to feel like you've got things covered.

You pretty much guarantee taking away the top half, and it would really **** you off if it slid under the heel of your stick or something.

No doubt it is a bad goal if it goes in. Sorry.

That said - one of the trickier shots to play successfully, and you feel like a dope when it beats you.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Just as a general statement, it's a bit foolish to compare someone posing with time and space to get set-up versus a goalie having to go down to that position in a split-second with a forward 3 feet away from shooting at him right after he received a pass from the goal line.

I don't want to regurgitate this argument, but the Devils finally seem like they are getting themselves into scoring areas where the goalie can't already be set and prepared for the shot. They're moving the puck around, going left and right, and finding holes in the coverage because they are finally winning board battles. It's allowing them to move the puck with space and time and allowing other guys to get open.

Hall sending the puck across the ice to a streaking Henrique, Coleman feeding a cutting Bennett in the slot, Palmieri with the cross-ice pass to Zacha, and even Cammalleri feeding Palmieri streaking to the net from below the goal line. All four cause the goalie to move and readjust which is when you typically open up the goalie, even if it is the smallest gaps like the Palmieri goal.

Oh boy, here we go.

No it's obviously not ideal but I wanted to show what the perfect scenario looks like for a goaltender. And these are NHL goalies, and that's one of the best in the business, so if you think he can't get properly set from a pass behind the net to a guy barely away from the goal line than you are mistaken. That's an easy a transition as you can get.

And not arguing that Henrique's goal was weak or anything because that shot was ridiculous but Hall's pass has little bearing on Dubnyk's movement. The pass was from the red line to the blue line, not in the offensive zone. Dubnyk was more than properly set to face Henrique by the time he let off his shot. There was no movement involved in that goal at all.

I do very much agree with the overall sentiment. Bennett's and Zacha's goal were perfect examples of what we need to do more of.

And yes this argument is still going on dammit because I actually can't believe some people think that was not a weak goal lol. It's not even that I'm trying to call out Dubnyk it's that I have seen on here countless, I mean countless, times where our goalies have let in a goal on a shot/situation much more difficult than that and it was called a soft goal. The double-standard is what gets me.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather argue about how much better we are without that waste of an NHL roster spot Kalinin in the lineup, and his 2 or 3 attempted shots and 8 against!:sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As per the "double standard", note that there are many opinions by many posters flying around on this board.

If as a team, we allowed an opposing player a wide open one timer from 3 feet away, I would not lay that on Cory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad