NHL Gov. Ned Lamont has a group with money to buy Arizona Coyotes, move them to Hartford

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I always enjoy seeing Whalers jerseys when Carolina comes to town. Those are great fans, and they deserve their team back.

But they weren't great fans, at least not great in numbers. They were routinely outnumbered by visiting fans from Boston or NYC. They couldn't even sell out playoff games. Tickets were easier to get for the Forever 500's annual bow out first round loss to the Bruins than they were to get into the Garden for the same.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes.

Another craptastic "Sunbelt" shit shitty shit beyond belief shit shitty local.

These f***** owners don't know what the f*** they're doing, and they don't f****** care.

Show me the money. That's all it was, is, and shall ever be.

It's amazing the league has decent people and decent players, given the fact that the league and its ownership are the scum of the Earth.

'Cream rises to the top."

So does scum.

So true.

But I would say the people who have owned NFL teams have been much sleazier overall.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Hartford and QC aren’t going to happen - not enough corporate money.

And other than AZ, how has the Southern/Sun Belt strategy failed the league? Nashville, Dallas, Carolina, Tampa, Vegas…and now even Florida.

Houston and KC are the most likely, and even places like SLC are way ahead of Hartford/QC for viability.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Why are we entertaining a small, dying, craphole of a city? Is the nostalgia boner really that strong?

Hartford has lost its industry, no one lives there, its the 8th largest city in New England and their AHL team struggles to get 4k a game in the door.

Guess what, no one gave a crap about the Whalers when they actually existed, and no one will if they come back. They will draw less than nothing and the only money made will be what is made now, merchandise. You dont need the team to exist to make money on merchandise.

Hartford is barely an AHL level town, nevermind NHL

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
But they weren't great fans, at least not great in numbers. They were routinely outnumbered by visiting fans from Boston or NYC. They couldn't even sell out playoff games. Tickets were easier to get for the Forever 500's annual bow out first round loss to the Bruins than they were to get into the Garden for the same.

Numbers weren't great because the team was terrible.

In 18 seasons in Hartford the Whale was over .500 just 3 times.

The one decent season they had (1986-87) they were selling out regularly.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why are we entertaining a small, dying, craphole of a city? Is the nostalgia boner really that strong?

Hartford has lost its industry, no one lives there, its the 8th largest city in New England and their AHL team struggles to get 4k a game in the door.

Guess what, no one gave a crap about the Whalers when they actually existed, and no one will if they come back. They will draw less than nothing and the only money made will be what is made now, merchandise. You dont need the team to exist to make money on merchandise.

Win, and they will come.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Would they even be called the Whalers?
So many other questions come to mind.
I doubt Bettman would want it to happen.
Can't Quebec City put a business group together to
do the same thing?
One such person is already in place. The problem is that he's a bit of a putz . The new arena in Quebec already bears the corporate name. He lead a separatist party in Quebec for a short while and thus is regarded as an undesirable .

If the NHL wanted to go to Quebec it would already have been done.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If you think the league isn't going to 36 over the next 10-12 years you're crazy.

As long as the markets make sense, I’m not totally against it?

Arizona is just a fail and need to be moved before any other expansion imo.

Put the games on MSG and let Jacobs sell the popcorn.

Henry comes in and offers Hartford stake in NESN. Whalers on NESN — when no Bruins or Red Sox or NESN+.

Lol

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Wont happen but I’d love it, I’m 30 min from Hartford and it means I’d be able to see a lot more bruins games very easily each year. 30 min back on a work night 6am wake up is a lot easier than almost 2 with post TD garden traffic.

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC

Everyone in central CT is interested in revitalizing Hartford and getting a top level sports team would go a long way towards helping that along.

The endgame would have to be a replacement for the XL center though, not just a refurb.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
This will never happen. Sadly, very doubtful for Quebec City too. Salt Lake City, Houston, Atlanta again will all get teams before Quebec City. Fenway just wanted an excuse to play Brass Bonanza.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and Fenway

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Would they even be called the Whalers?
So many other questions come to mind.
I doubt Bettman would want it to happen.
Can't Quebec City put a business group together to
do the same thing?

You want to know why Quebec City doesn't have a team? Go ask Jeremy Jacobs. He's the one whose been blocking Quebec City from reentering the league.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@BigBadBruins7708

Back in 2014 during the SCF, I was invited to have lunch with my best friend from college and he said there are 2 others I want you to meet - It was at a Jewish deli in Encino.

My college friend had become a respected player in Hollywood as an agent and the other 2 people at that lunch were Fred Silverman and Howard Baldwin.

Believe me, at that table, I felt like this

My late friend Howard Lapides knew exactly what he was doing......................

He introduces me to Baldwin by saying I was at the first Whalers game in Boston and Baldwin asks 'Where did you buy the tickets?' and I replied at the Whalers office at the Statler Hilton ( now Park Plaza ) - Baldwin now trusts me and opens up............

Baldwin was the public face owner of the Whalers but the true owner was Robert Schmertz who also owned the Celtics. The plan was the Whalers/Celtics would build a new arena in Boston but Schmertz died in 1975 at the age of 48.

The Whalers' fanbase was essentially Hartford, Springfield, New Britain and Bristol. NOBODY in New Haven, Bridgeport, or Stamford cared.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
As fun as it would be to go to road games in hartford, they should keep the team on the west coast. Many of those western conference teams already have insane travel during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad