Speculation: Gostisbehere - Too early to freak out?

Caesar

Nov 28, 2019
Can anyone who believes Hagg has been better than Ghost and Myers please explicitly say so in this thread?

I’d like to have it on record. :popcorn:

Thanks!

I'll go on record saying Robert Hagg played better than Shayne Gostisbehere from the beginning of the season until the game vs Columbus in November. I'm not saying Hagg is more talented or is a better defensemen than Ghost, but he had played better hockey in the first 25 games or so compared to Ghost. I like Ghost and want him to do well, just gotta find what works with the system and the team chemistry.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Who do you play Suzuki in front of? TK, Farabee, Jake? Just dont see the value in moving Ghost, especially for a forward. We're adding to a logjam up front and putting Hagg into the lineup every night.

Reactions: Hexy4

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
10 things: The Flyers are becoming a final-two-periods team...

Over the course of about 30 seconds, Gostisbehere makes three separate strong plays, one in each zone. First, he cuts off a lazy Toronto pass and immediately carries the puck up ice, singlehandedly generating a controlled defensive zone exit (and later a controlled entry). Seconds later, he jumps on a loose puck in the neutral zone before threading a feed through two Maple Leafs to create another entry. Finally, clearly brimming with confidence, he executes one of his patented stop/start maneuvers at the blue line, slipping past Zach Hyman, which led him to take a penalty out of desperation.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Who do you play Suzuki in front of? TK, Farabee, Jake? Just dont see the value in moving Ghost, especially for a forward. We're adding to a logjam up front and putting Hagg into the lineup every night.
This is too near sighted.
You would make this move for the long haul- adding a expansion exempt player in exchange for a player the team views as a 3rd pair defenseman and is likely to expose or trade before the ED. Yeah there would need to be another move made to upgrade from Hagg, but that really shouldn't be too difficult. Zamula, York, and Kalynuk with all be turning pro within the next year or two.

To be clear, I am on Team Ghost in the top 4 and on the top PP. But given his current usage, if they were looking for a deal, you likely aren't getting a young player better than Suzuki (not that Montreal is going to give him up). You worry about the fit later.
He's in the Frost/Farabee tier so it's a moot point anyway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is too near sighted.
You would make this move for the long haul- adding a expansion exempt player in exchange for a player the team views as a 3rd pair defenseman and is likely to expose or trade before the ED. Yeah there would need to be another move made to upgrade from Hagg, but that really shouldn't be too difficult. Zamula, York, and Kalynuk with all be turning pro within the next year or two.

To be clear, I am on Team Ghost in the top 4 and on the top PP. But given his current usage, if they were looking for a deal, you likely aren't getting a young player better than Suzuki (not that Montreal is going to give him up). You worry about the fit later.
He's in the Frost/Farabee tier so it's a moot point anyway.

I'm enjoying the ransom note vibe.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

We could use a young RW (so Farabee can move back to LW), and a 4C, maybe both in the same package (RH 4C who can play wing).
Montreal doesn't have anything we'd want, Suzuki is more of what we have, while we could use speed, I'm think more like Kapanen.
A young RHD with top four talent would be nice to replace Niskanen down the road, but good luck nailing one of them without trading York or Zamula.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Montreal is almost as bad as Toronto in trading for everyone (per rumours). Can anyone translate?

Les discussions entre les Canadiens et les Flyers se seraient intensifiées

I cant for the life of me think of someone on that roster that I would want.

Basically, it says the Habs are in need of a LHD and that the in-house options they do have aren't appealling (and apparently Folin is in the AHL now lol).

There is also mention that, from a reputable source, the Flyers/Habs are at an advanced stage of negotiations. They didn't directly talk acquisition cost on RDS last night (the French TSN), but when RDS did talk price in November, it was believed to be 2nd rounder, Lehkonen, and Ylonen.

Honestly, that's a whole lot of B-level pieces. If they're gonna trade Ghost, I'm sure they could do better. I'll take quality over quantity.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Basically, it says the Habs are in need of a LHD and that the in-house options they do have aren't appealling (and apparently Folin is in the AHL now lol).

There is also mention that, from a reputable source, the Flyers/Habs are at an advanced stage of negotiations. They didn't directly talk acquisition cost on RDS last night (the French TSN), but when RDS did talk price in November, it was believed to be 2nd rounder, Lehkonen, and Ylonen.

Honestly, that's a whole lot of B-level pieces. If they're gonna trade Ghost, I'm sure they could do better. I'll take quality over quantity.
I don't see why we would even entertain that trade. Just makes us worse. Especially when the team is playing better than it has in many years. Would either of those guys even crack the lineup?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ylonen #35-2018,. just turned 20, listed at 6'1 172, RW, last year Liiga 53g 13-14 27 +10, WJC-20 7g 3-3 6.
He would fit an organizational need but we're talking a couple years down the road to compete with Brink, etc.

Lehkonen #55-2013, 24 years old, undersized LW 5'11 181 without great speed, in his 4th NHL season.
Not a bad player, 31 ES points last year playing 12:44 at ES, 12 ES points in 28g playing 12:19, E +/- of +10.1 last season.
Problem is we have no room in the top nine for LH forwards.
Probably needed to balance the cap hit for Montreal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost to Montreal never made sense. That contract makes him worth more than they should be willing to part with. At the same time, he on his own isn't fixing them while carrying a hefty price.

His abilities and cap hit make sense for a potential contender who wants to make a run and doesn't mind paying for it, not a team better served by using those assets to build itself. But why would we be selling?

Either way I don't see how it benefits the Flyers right now, and we should be looking to compete now at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad