Gordie Clark

LamoTheKid

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
I HATE this..

We have NO idea how these guys will do. How can we say we've done pretty well??

We can't. So annoying. Enough already.

A realistic expectation for anyone taken in the second round is at best 2nd liner, average 3rd liner and below average 4th liner or bust. Looking at most of our 2 rd picks or later that have played in the NHL, we've had a few misses but Cally, Dubi, and Anisimov are either average or above average (hell, Callys wearing the A and Dubi was centering the 1st line last year).

While we cant look with 100% certainty tha tthese guys will pan out the same, id say you can go by our history and say these guys will at the very least be excellent rolepayers on the team for years to come. If one of them turns into a 2nd or 1st liner, bonus to us.

AlwaysARanger

Schwing!
Aug 6, 2007
Oslo
Always happy to see Gordie.. now go to work and do your thing. Not that impressed the last few years, but on the other hand, what players did we realisticly pass on?

Btw, is it true that he runs the table at draft days while other teams have their GM doing the same?

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Always happy to see Gordie.. now go to work and do your thing. Not that impressed the last few years, but on the other hand, what players did we realisticly pass on?

Btw, is it true that he runs the table at draft days while other teams have their GM doing the same?

How about Taraseko and Saad?

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
its always a great idea to bump 4 year old threads.

always.

Don't really see the problem with it. There should probably be a thread for him. With all the appreciation threads after each game why not?

In today's day and age you need youth constantly banging at the door and being infused into the lineup and since Clark has taken over this team has been able to do that. He's a huge reason for our success.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I been watching NYR drafts a long time and I always see this gentlemen going up the podium every year.
The draft analysts(announcers) seems to like him cause they make it seem like he is a good judge of talent. I believe he is the director of player personnel for the rangers for how long?...i don't know BUT shouldn't he be part of the rangers history of "bad" drafts.
Correct me pls but the draft success of the rangers is below average at best and i know that Mr. Sather has a lot of to do with it along with other prior ranger gms.
Is Mr. Clarke any good or is it time for him to go along with Sather's present crew.

It's a matter of opinion but most folks here don't really understand what that means. There are obviously a LOT of reasons to disagree with your opinions but there are valid reasons to feel the way you do too. I prefer to look at how many drafted players succeed on average, how many top notch offensive players are actually available at the spots the NYR picked at, and the overall ability to draft for players who contribute in meaningful ways. I also lend weight to prospect trades since the reason why a team targets let's say McD in a trade is b/c the prospect staff scouted him out.

SupersonicMonkey*

The Rangers have struck gold with picks after the 1st round.

Clark has something to do with that. A lot, actually.

Rangers scouts have been outstanding.

Agree.

I trust Clark.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
taking a look at the roster going into the 14-15 season we see

Stepan
Hagelin
Fast
Kreider
Staal
Henrik as draft picks

Girardi was signed as a free agent

with the exception of Fast that is 6 very solid NHL players. Not bad drafting/scouting I would say.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'm sorry but I find Clark's drafting to be overrated. 2008, 2010 were terrible picks. Sure he's found a few nice later picks but as far as drafting first line talent, well there's a reason why we always try to sign or trade for the big names.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm sorry but I find Clark's drafting to be overrated. 2008, 2010 were terrible picks. Sure he's found a few nice later picks but as far as drafting first line talent, well there's a reason why we always try to sign or trade for the big names.

How many first rounders make the NHL?

Kreider. Stepan. They signed MZA.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How many first rounders make the NHL?

Kreider. Stepan. They signed MZA.

Stepan was a 2nd.

Miller (probably making the team)
Kreider
DZ
Staal

Are all NHL players drafted in the 1st by the rangers. Not that impressive but we've made up for it in later rounds and undrafted UFA signings

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
So basically we're mad at Clark for not striking gold and drafting a Getzlaf in the late first round

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Stepan was a 2nd.

Miller (probably making the team)
Kreider
DZ
Staal

Are all NHL players drafted in the 1st by the rangers. Not that impressive but we've made up for it in later rounds and undrafted UFA signings

Not that impressive? Cheraponov passed away. That's not on Clark.

Miller
Skjei
McIlrath

All look to be well on their way to be NHL players. I ask again, what is the percentage of 1st rounders that make the NHL. Who have been the busts? Sanguinetti? That's it up to this point.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The problem with the Rangers prospect pool and draft record isn't on Clark per se. Sather has traded away too many firsts and picks in general. It's like he finally comprehended how to build a team in the salary cap era and then he didn't.

Looking at Football, I know it's a bit different, but you can still draw parallels. The most inane thing a GM can do in the salary cap era, is trade away draft picks, especially high draft picks. It's just dumb. You need that influx of younger/cheaper talent to keep your more experienced talent around. Do you hear that Mike Tannenbaum?

That's not on Clark. Clark has done an admirable job finding talent in the latter part of the draft. Which is what the scouting staff is paid to do. However, getting rid of high picks has made the Rangers depend on pulling rabbits out of a hat a good deal in the latter rounds.

I understand it brought MSL, I still hate trading draft picks in this era, it drives me nuts.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It is a little alarming how poorly the Rangers seem to do in the first round of very good drafts. 2003, 2008, and 2010 they all took major projects in the first round. Jessiman had some unfortunate injuries, but Del Zotto never overcame the same shortcomings that were in his initial scouting reports. Jury is still out on McIlrath, but when you keep missing on stacked drafts, it really starts to bite you in the ass.

Most teams have that draft that sets them up for 5 or 6 years where they get 2 or 3 very good players. The Rangers haven't really had that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
People exaggerate the value of draft picks, then whine about it. How many people here are claiming that a #10 pick should be a star? And yet, no star was drafted at #10 since the 1980s. How many people expect our picks in the 18-28 range to become at least second liners? And yet most kids drafted here become minor league busts.

When you have unreasonable expectations that are a magnitude above what history suggests they should be, you will be disappointed.

If the rest of the league is getting 50% busts, while you are scoring only 20% busts, that is called success and not an alarming failure.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
People complain about our drafts.
People complain about our FA.
People complain about our trades.

I have no idea how such a horrible team was in the Stanley Cup last month.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It is a little alarming how poorly the Rangers seem to do in the first round of very good drafts. 2003, 2008, and 2010 they all took major projects in the first round. Jessiman had some unfortunate injuries, but Del Zotto never overcame the same shortcomings that were in his initial scouting reports. Jury is still out on McIlrath, but when you keep missing on stacked drafts, it really starts to bite you in the ass.

Most teams have that draft that sets them up for 5 or 6 years where they get 2 or 3 very good players. The Rangers haven't really had that.

2003 Clark wasn't in his position of power. 2008, Del Zotto was a good pick at the time. HRHR OFD is exactly what this team needed, they got it, he gave the team 3 good years, then he fell off the face of the Earth. I still believe he was rushed. Getting Stepan in the 2nd round more than makes up for DZ failing.

2010 there's nothing to say that hasn't been said.

You have a very good point on teams having that draft where they net a lot of players, and the Rangers have yet to have one. Call me crazy but I think 2013's draft could be that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00