Gordie Clark

valence

Nov 16, 2008
I been watching NYR drafts a long time and I always see this gentlemen going up the podium every year.
The draft analysts(announcers) seems to like him cause they make it seem like he is a good judge of talent. I believe he is the director of player personnel for the rangers for how long?...i don't know BUT shouldn't he be part of the rangers history of "bad" drafts.
Correct me pls but the draft success of the rangers is below average at best and i know that Mr. Sather has a lot of to do with it along with other prior ranger gms.
Is Mr. Clarke any good or is it time for him to go along with Sather's present crew.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's only been at that position since Don Maloney left (2007). I believe he was still a North American scout for the Rangers until that point, but he never had the final say.

He's a very, very good judge of talent. He should definitely be kept.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Don Maloney served as the Rangers' vice-president of player personnel and was also Assistant GM to Glen Sather from 1996 to 2007.

Tom Renney was Director of Player Personnel until 2002. Vice-President of Player Development until 2003.

I can't find anything on Clark which shows his career path.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
Clark was hired in September 2002 as a scout, promoted to head scout sometime after, and has only been director of player personnel since July 07. What exactly can he possibly be to blame for?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
i don't know BUT shouldn't he be part of the rangers history of "bad" drafts.

Truth to be told, I think its very debatable if we have a bad draft record or not.

I would probably bet on that its above avg. Our 1st round trackrecord is not spotless, thats a given. Jessiman stands out, at the same time, we drafted a player before the lockout when size and size only mattered, and put that kid on the ice in a game without a redline -- where size is a strength but only if everything else is equal.

The draft is a lottery, to some extent. Detroit picked Henrik Zetterberg, who fell. A couple of rounds before him they picked Jari Tolsa. The marginals are small.

A lot of it also comes down to what you do with the kids when you get them.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Clark joined the Rangers after a falling out with Charles Wang over money. He joined the Rangers as a pro/amateur scout based of the Northeast. Think he lives in New Hampshire. After the lockout,Clark was elevated to run the amateur scouting for the Rangers. Renney was hired as HC in 2004 but there was no 2004-05 season. Renney ran the amateur scouting department. Maloney made the 2004 draft picks because Renney was an assistant coach with the Rangers in 03-04. It was supposed to be a temporary position but Sather made him HC. When Maloney left,Clark was elevated to run both the pro and amateur scouting and Gorton was hired as his assistant.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Gord Clark and Jim Ramsay are the only non-player individuals in the organization that I trust.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
All I know is, the last two years, the Rangers have selected the player I was hoping they'd take in each 1st round...MDZ in 2008, and Kreider last year, so I'm not complaining.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
All I know is, the last two years, the Rangers have selected the player I was hoping they'd take in each 1st round...MDZ in 2008, and Kreider last year, so I'm not complaining.

for some reason, didn't both MDZ and Kreider kind of slip in the draft and the Rangers kind of got lucky these players were available? I don't remember exactly... but either way, these (2) picks look good...

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
for some reason, didn't both MDZ and Kreider kind of slip in the draft and the Rangers kind of got lucky these players were available? I don't remember exactly... but either way, these (2) picks look good...

We've been picking all of the players who were projected to go much higher but slipped to us....

Cherepanov (transfer agreement concerns)
MDZ (defensive ability concerns)
Kreider (previous level of competition concerns)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

All of our 1st rounders since Staal were expected to go higher than they were drafted. Still we had to make the decision to take them and I've had very little problem with each pick.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
All of our 1st rounders since Staal were expected to go higher than they were drafted. Still we had to make the decision to take them and I've had very little problem with each pick.

Plus we've done pretty well beyond the 1st round as well with Stepan, Werek, Grachev, etc.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm pretty sure Clark was scouting for the Islanders when they had that great core of young talent in the mid 90s (Bertuzzi, Luongo, Berrard, Palffy, etc.) but that was all destroyed because of the Glickstein/Spano ownerships, and the final nail in the coffin was when Chara and the pick that was Spezza were dealt to OTT.

He's done a very good job so far. I was a little upset when they picked Del Z, I wanted Carlson, but Del Z's been great so far.

I think you can add Schoenfeld and Graves to people you can trust.

KreiMeARiver*

Plus we've done pretty well beyond the 1st round as well with Stepan, Werek, Grachev, etc.

I HATE this..

We have NO idea how these guys will do. How can we say we've done pretty well??

We can't. So annoying. Enough already.

KreiMeARiver*

Truth to be told, I think its very debatable if we have a bad draft record or not.

I would probably bet on that its above avg. Our 1st round trackrecord is not spotless, thats a given. Jessiman stands out, at the same time, we drafted a player before the lockout when size and size only mattered, and put that kid on the ice in a game without a redline -- where size is a strength but only if everything else is equal.

The draft is a lottery, to some extent. Detroit picked Henrik Zetterberg, who fell. A couple of rounds before him they picked Jari Tolsa. The marginals are small.

A lot of it also comes down to what you do with the kids when you get them.

Are you serious?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are you serious?

Are there 15 teams the last 10 years (2000-2009) have drafted a better group of players then the Rangers?

Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Dom Moore, Fedor Tyutin, Ryan Hollweg, Dan Blackburn, Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes, Lauri Korpikoski, Artem Anisimov, Bobby Sangs, Cherepanov, MDZ, Stephan, Grachev and Kreider.

I don't have time to do a research now, but I doubt it. Especially if you take into consideration that we have not had any top 8 picks. Our top two picks were Blackburn at 8 and Montoya at 10. And that we lost 2 key picks.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I HATE this..

We have NO idea how these guys will do. How can we say we've done pretty well??

We can't. So annoying. Enough already.

Get off your high horse. If we had drafted Shroeder instead of Kreider you'd be the first one in line to **** on our drafting abilities.

3 of our top prospects have come from the 2nd round or beyond. In terms of drafting, that's "doing pretty well." Especially when you consider that people outside of the Rangers fan base are as high on some of the kids as we are.

So, unless you can point me to the post where I said, "God damn! We're so stocked up on prospects!! Lord Stanley here we come!" I invite you to chill the **** out and stop telling me I'm "blowing" anyone, or just don't bother reading it. Unwavering pessimism is your thing, not mine.

dbmaven

Sep 25, 2009
Are you serious?

Sorry - those of us who actually know something about the last 5 years drafts don't share the good stuff.

Since this is the HOCKEY'S FUTURE boards, maybe you should just click the link and see where the NYR prospect organization is ranked. I don't want to spoil the fun for you.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad