Goodenow AWOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Digger12 said:
You don't honestly believe this, do you?

He could try, but does he even HAVE enough supporters at this point to fill up a volkswagon, never mind put a dent into a ratification vote?
Nope I don't..

but he could be .!!!... We don't know the split at the moment ..

What is involved in decertifing a union ... He might be researching that instead ..

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
The Messenger said:
While Goodenow is using this time to get his hardliners together and organized for CBA vote up coming.

The only reason I'm impatient for the CBA to be announced is so I don't have to read these conspiracy theory posts anymore.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Messenger said:
Nope I don't..

but he could be .!!!... We don't know the split at the moment ..

What is involved in decertifing a union ... He might be researching that instead ..

Yeah, and I could be driving home from work in my own private space shuttle, to be met by my wife, and her in Victoria's Secret's latest no less.

These have approximately the same chances of happening as Goodenow molotoving this process.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sick of going to the Leafs board and seeing 100 different line ups for next year. You can only take so many rumors before you actually snap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Montrealer said:
The only reason I'm impatient for the CBA to be announced is so I don't have to read these conspiracy theory posts anymore.
me too so I don't have to keep posting them .. Just to keep people on a even level ..

Until we know the end .. these things are still possible ..

While I don't think it is happening .. I also do not see Goodenow going quietly either .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
In Silent Movie, the war scene takes place in the Revolutionary War, there are three rows of soilders. The first row readies, kneels, aims, and fires. The second does the same, but the first row didn't move, they are all killed by the men behind them. The third row does the same, killing all the men in the second row.

never saw it

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
While Goodenow is using this time to get his hardliners together and organized for CBA vote up coming.

I'm glad you have distanced yourself from this concept. Goodenow works for the players. While he is supposed to be a professional advisor, he isn't supposed to lead a revolution once the players have established policy. Doing so would be very unprofessional. And I don't think Goodenow is unprofessional or dishonorable. He miscalculated the situation. That will cost him his job.

But if he wants to get another job when he gets canned, he is going to continue to act professionally. Keeping quiet while the train passes you by is professional. Humiliating, but professional.

By the way, I don't hear Gary is attending these meetings either. It sounds like both number 2s are doing the negotiating.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Donnie D said:
I'm glad you have distanced yourself from this concept. Goodenow works for the players. While he is supposed to be a professional advisor, he isn't supposed to lead a revolution once the players have established policy. Doing so would be very unprofessional. And I don't think Goodenow is unprofessional or dishonorable. He miscalculated the situation. That will cost him his job.

But if he wants to get another job when he gets canned, he is going to continue to act professionally. Keeping quiet while the train passes you by is professional. Humiliating, but professional.

By the way, I don't hear Gary is attending these meetings either. It sounds like both number 2s are doing the negotiating.

Hey maybe Goodenow can come back down here to Pittsburgh and bust another 9 man union like he did back in the 80's......he's lucky he didn't leave town in a bodybag

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Jobu said:
Interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/07/06/Sports/avery050705.html

As the deal that would put NHL players back on the ice inches toward completion, Bob Goodenow, the head of the players' union, is absent from the negotiation table.

A source inside the talks told CBC he hasn't seen Goodenow in quite some time and that NHLPA president Trevor Linden and union director Ted Saskin have been driving the negotiations on the behalf of the players for the past month.
I thought that Goodenow and Bettman were sitting out most of the meetings of late.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Donnie D said:

There hasn't been any issue serious enough to need those two negotiating in weeks. The last couple weeks have just been tying up loose ends Bettman and the PA had already agreed on.

Master Shake*

Chuck Shick said:
Hey maybe Goodenow can come back down here to Pittsburgh and bust another 9 man union like he did back in the 80's......he's lucky he didn't leave town in a bodybag

Goodenow won that battle, then joined the hockey agent business. By 1990, he had assembled a stable of about 20 clients, including Bob Mason, now the Wild goalie coach. Goodenow, then as now, was always about getting the best deal, a lesson Mason learned in the 1987 offseason.

Goodenow had Mason fly in to Detroit on the eve of the 1987 draft. Mason was a free agent, and Goodenow wanted to mediate any contact between teams and Mason. The goalie arrived, and Goodenow led him to a hotel room.

"He just said, 'Stay here, buy some beer,' " Mason said.

Goodenow came back intermittently holding a napkin with an offer scrawled on it. Four teams made bids, including Mason's most recent team, the Washington Capitals, Mason said. Mason instead signed with the Chicago Blackhawks.

The following day, to Mason's dismay, the Blackhawks signed college goalie Ed Belfour and picked goaltender Jimmy Waite eighth overall. Belfour's agent was none other than Goodenow.

"Goodenow kept that from me," Mason said. "He should have let me know. ... Knowing that, I might have stayed [with Washington]."

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Messenger said:

Would that include getting the pro-NHLPA spammers on his side, like Strachan and Brooks? I'd assume he had you as number 1 on speed dial.

pinnaclewm

Jun 23, 2005
Toronto
Goodenow is probably getting interviewed and profiled by MLB, cause Selig (sp?) and Co. are the weakest link when it comes to labour talks>

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I also do not see Goodenow going quietly either .
If true he's a bigger fool than we all thought. In terms of securing another job, a quiet resignation would serve him far better than some kind of noisy fight. The latter would only serve to puff up his own ego and thus would not reflect well on him.

But if he wants to play Custer, more power to him. A public scalping suits me just fine.

GSC2k2*

Digger12 said:
You don't honestly believe this, do you?

He could try, but does he even HAVE enough supporters at this point to fill up a volkswagon, never mind put a dent into a ratification vote?
I dunno ... haven't you seen that stunt where you try to stuff as many clowns into a volkswagon as possible? You can cram quite a few of those suckers in there...

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
I hear he's keeping company with Jimmy Hoffa somewhere near the 50 yard line at Giants stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad