Good RTS / City builder strategy games

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
The best part of Cities:Skylines is the Workshop. I think my city currently has the ACC, Prudential Center, MSG, and Gila within 4 blocks of each other.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I simply pasted a link. Find and compliment the guy who actually made the hack ;).

Since you like the Impressions games, you might also be interested in the widescreen hacks for their other city builders:

Caesar III: http://www.moddb.com/mods/caesar-3-full-hd/downloads/caesar-iii-hd-support

Pharaoh + Cleopatra: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/cleopatra-queen-nile/en (new link, since you need this one for releases that include Cleopatra, like the GOG and Steam releases)

Zeus + Poseidon: http://www.moddb.com/mods/zeus-and-...ads/zeus-and-poseidon-full-hd-many-resolution

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/emperor-rise-middle-kingdom/en

It's too bad that there are no widescreen hacks for Lords of the Realm II :(. Though not a city builder, it's my favorite Impressions game.

I found the Cleopatra one since that's the one I got and used it last night. It's awesome!

I have / played Caesar and it just doesn't have the same magic that Pharaoh has. Zeus is one I wanted to try and may someday.

I still thank you because I never really thought to try and play it in widescreen. It's fantastic!

Sep 19, 2008
The best part of Cities:Skylines is the Workshop. I think my city currently has the ACC, Prudential Center, MSG, and Gila within 4 blocks of each other.

:laugh:I should start playing again

They used to do that with Sim City 4 too

3223d1cb369361caccb45ba25dc511d9-HSBC_DAY.jpg

I admit the mods make C:S a lot of fun. One mod lets you go first player mode, and you couldn't really do that in SC4.

edit: :amazed:

0585EA8ADD7DBC019D9E40AC80431E5895775E4D

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Like an actual pile of dead bodies on the highway? This sounds pretty epic. :laugh:

Hearses is what I think he means. Providing cemeteries and/or crematoriums is one of your jobs as the mayor of your city, and unlike earlier city-building games, the hearses going out to pick up the dead body and bring it back to the cemetery/crematorium, and a hearse is one of the vehicles that won't despawn if their trip is taking too long. Considering the base game (mods can fix it) doesn't give you much of a variety in your residents' age when you start a new city, this results in "death waves" where a bunch of people die at once and your roads get flooded with hearses.

Sep 19, 2008
No, I mean the speech bubbles kept saying there were dead people all over apartments, never could get rid of them no matter how much I improved the surrounding infrastructure. Better roads and then the bubbles are still there.

Also looking through some of my old Youtube videos...the long lines of people waiting for the bus :laugh:

nYtxj0C.jpg

Rcaqe6b.jpg

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Age of Mythology is my favourite RTS game, the campaign is extremely well done. I think a small online community still exists for the expansion and the steam extended edition.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I started playing Sim City (The new one). I saw it had AWFUL reviews mostly because of the DRM and required online connection. They have fixed all that since release and there is a single player mode.

It's really fun and reminds me a lot of the old Sim City's.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Also ended up getting Halo Wars 2 Ultimate (which comes with Halo Wars Difinitive). Loving both these games. Totally remind me of C&C back in the old days. People are saying its not deep or complex enough by todays standards in reviews but it's perfect for me. Build a base, amass an army, attack / defend. I don't need something super deep. I am loving it!

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If you're willing to go back in time, you should try Rise of Nations. It's sort of a mix of AOE and Civ, more like AOE because it's an RTS. Graphics are still good (I still play it). One of the best games of all-time imo.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
it's an old game that might not run on your PC, but if you can get it to go, Alpha Centauri is hands down one of the best turn-based strategy games ever made. It's made by the Civ team so it's similar to Civ II, but it adds a fantastic science fiction storyline and characters, crammed to the gills with snippets of history, politics, philosophy, science, and religion.

Going to second SMAC. Greatest Civ game of them all. Graphics ans sound are crappy.

Gameplay, story and characters are off the charts.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Oh God, Alpha Centauri was amazing. I wish I had gotten to experience it when it first came out, I was late to the party. The graphics haven't really aged well. But man, that game was so far ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay, customization, and narrative.

All the quotes from the different leaders and the philosophies were amazing. The first time I played I wasn't even playing, I spent all my time reading what they had to say.

Beyond Earth I think in a vacuum was an okay game, not very good but a passable entry in the series. But in the shadows of AC it looked like it was made by amateurs.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!

Fedor Petrov, Vice Provost for University Affairs

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
"Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry God and He awaits you just beyond the last theorem."

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is slightly off-topic, since it's a long way from being released (it was only just recently successfully crowdfunded), but I just ran across an intriguing city builder called Ancient Cities and this thread seems like the best place to mention it. It's more of a village builder, actually, because you start with a little hunter-gatherer village in nearly prehistoric times and guide it up through early ancient times. It seems like it's a bit like Banished, but a much more ancient setting. I'm intrigued because I'm not sure that we've ever had a prehistoric village builder, at least a realistic one that wasn't a "god" simulator.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
That looks pretty good! Seems like something I would like. Thanks for posting.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah that Ancient Cities game looks right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to it releasing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad